1/32 Tamiya P-51D- Kicked up a notch

Update- and not really modeling.

My father-in law passed away on Sunday after several years of the effects of Parkinson's disease. While sad, the family is glad that his suffering is over, so his passing is actually welcomed. As I've done in the past, it will be my duty to put together the "slide show" of his life, which based upon past experiences, takes a LOT of time to assemble the photographs, scan them and put them into a reasonable presentation. This will take me all week, so modeling is definitely out until the weekend.

Now the good news. My wife and I are going on vacation to the South Pacific next week to Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc., which has been planned for about a year. It was nice of my father in law to time his passing before we left, so that our trip wouldn't be holding anybody up. So, due to an upcoming funeral and vacation, I won't have any updates until the first week of February at the earliest. I can answer the odd question as I did last night, but there will be no in-progress pics for awhile. This is what's planned, however, in the future:

1) Landing gear. I need to complete the gear so that I can plug them into the front of the wing, then seal off the leading edge part that is now held by magnets. As mentioned earlier, having removable landing gear may be valued by some, but the removable parts have big gaps around them, so I want to eliminate them before final painting. I have resin tires as well that should look a lot better than the kit rubber ones.

2) Lower intake. This part is almost complete and will be pre-painted before installation on the top so that the paint finish will be smooth and dust free. Painting it after installation will likely cause air brush turbulence in the tight space on top, resulting in a rough finish, so it's best to paint it first.

3) First metallic paint. I hope to have a coat of the first layer of Alclad on just about everything before I leave on vacation. This will give the lacquer plenty of time to dry and cure so that I can handle the model later without fear of finger prints or paint erosion.

4) Detailed painting. Several panels will have different colors of aluminum paint for contrast. I'm not sure which Alclad colors I'll use, but I have Dark Aluminum, Aluminum, Duraluminum, White Aluminum and Polished Aluminum. Some panels will have a steel-like color, like the narrow panels immediately next to the exhaust stacks. I also need to paint the olive green in front of the windscreen and lots of solid colors on the rear and wings.

5) Clear gloss coat. Although the Alclad above will likely be smooth enough with light sanding in between coats, I'm going to try the Alclad Gloss Coat for the first time to prep the model for decals. Using Future is out, because I don't like the look of it on Alclad.

6) Decals and stencils. Always time consuming to get it right. Besides the Zotz decals, I have all the Fundekal decals and stencils to apply.

7) Weathering washes. I will be using a combination of The Detailer wash, ProModeler wash and of course a little salt weathering of the aluminum surfaces to get them looking stained like real metal. I love this stage of modeling, because this is when the aircraft starts to look real and I can try and be "artsy". :rolleyes:

8) Add-ons. The prop, canopy, fuel tanks (& pylons) and other details need to be assembled, painted and weathered while the above goes on. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the gun bays, but leaving them empty is still my best option right now, unless I can get some killer looking shell belts. There's no point doing a good job of the aircraft only to have so-so looking shell belts take away from the realism.

9) Staining. Using my airbrush and pastels, there's a lot of fun stains and leaks to put on this bird. I'm really looking forward to the exhaust staining and oil stain from that vent on the starboard side sweeping over the fuselage sides.

10) Dull coat. I'm going to use another Alclad Matte coat for this final stage.

I'm getting near the home stretch guys! This is the very best part of modeling for me, so I need to take my time and do it right. Stay tuned in 3-4 weeks- and thanks again for your interest in this build!

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

Sorry for your family's loss, but having mother's and relatives pass with Alziemer's, I can completely understand the relief.

Wife and I are very envious of your upcoming vacation. Are you using a travel agency for the trip (or package) and if so, which one?

Stephen

Edited by stephencraig

Chuck,

I am sorry to hear of wife's father passing.

May he rest on peace and MY Mom And I send our condolences. :salute:

Hope all goes well. :pray:

And if you are able to enjoy the holiday then have a great time away ..safe journey. :wave:

Edited by HOLMES

Chuck,

FYI, I had to order some ejection chutes for the 109 from MDC, so I went ahead and threw in a set of their flexible resin 50 cal belts. I'll let you know how they are when they get here. Might be an option you want to consider for your gun bays.

Stephen

Edited by stephencraig

Thank you guys so much for your kind words! My father in law was a great guy and his funeral went off very smoothly. I spent about 20 hours on the slide show of his life and, if I do say so myself, it was a really nice 10 minute tribute. Thank goodness for scanners to capture a digital image of old black and white photos, which are usually the most interesting pics.

Now some modeling. Yes, I claimed I wouldn't post another update until early February, but I just HAD to show off some of my work today. :rolleyes: I want to apply a first coat of Alclad to the fuselage and gear legs before I went on my upcoming vacation, so that the lacquer would be rock hard when I return in 2 1/2 weeks. With a thoroughly dry finish, I can handle the model with my bare greasy hands and sand out any imperfections in the paint. The initial results, I think, are really good and all my hard work to date is starting to pay off. If the first coat of primer doesn't reveal any build flaws, a metallic Alclad finish really will! Overall, there wasn't many and they were all fixed fairly easily....

So what you are about to see is a first coat of thin Alclad Polished Aluminum. I plan to paint and weather this model like the real deal, so I want to start off with bright aluminum as it came from the factory and then paint each panel in duller coats of aluminum as per pics of the real deal. Later, as indicated in my plans above, I will weather this bird appropriately for a WW-II fighter with lots of battle time. The lower intake must be cemented in to remove any gaps, so I painted it first between the intake and lower fuselage. You need to insert the wing flaps when you do, so I masked them off, because they are already painted and I want to keep the subtle painting contrast between different parts and panels.....

Firstpaint1.jpg

Firstpaint11.jpg

Same color for the top, at least for now....

Firstpaint8.jpg

When you see the nice metallic finish that you can achieve with Alclad, I wonder why anybody bothers with aluminum foil. This is a first thin coat with no sanding or clear gloss finish- yet!

Firstpaint3.jpg

Firstpaint4.jpg

The key to a nice metallic finish, is a very smooth gloss black primer base, in this case Krylon lacquer....

Firstpaint5.jpg

I don't think aluminum foil looks any better than this....

Firstpaint6.jpg

Or this. Remember that huge gap I had behind the cockpit area when Part # Q-2 was inserted into the fuselage? Looking very smooth and seamless now....

Firstpaint7.jpg

Now the gear legs. I went with both of Guy's suggestions, using the Eduard PE for the gear anchor ring on the wheel axle (note flat angle parallel to surface) and I thickened the scissor link with thin strips of styrene glued to the metal kit parts. Much better now, although I still have lots of work to do after this first coat of paint.....

Firstpaint9.jpg

Firstpaint10.jpg

Well boys, this is definitely the last post for a few weeks. I'll let these parts thoroughly dry then really go to town with interesting panel color changes and weathering. I hope you like the results so far.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Great job as always Chuck, looking forward for the painting updates.

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss, i just saw it.

Have a nice time on your vacation and be back with fresh ideas!!

John

I have to admit to being a little concerned as to how the scissor links were going to turn out. I should have known better as they came out looking just like the real thing!

You guys have a great vacation and we will see you when you get back.

Bud

I just spent the last 2 hours going through this WIP. Although I do plan on getting this bird one day I don't think I have the patience to do what you just have accomplished. One word describes it "BREATHTAKING" This for sure will get my vote for best WIP if we ever have the topic again.

Best Wishes

Roy Tedore

Great paint job

When you see the nice metallic finish that you can achieve with Alclad, I wonder why anybody bothers with aluminum foil. This is a first thin coat with no sanding or clear gloss finish- yet!

Well i can give you 2 reasons for that ! when you dont have an airbrush and setup , and cuz foil is so much fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck, very sorry to hear of your father-in law passing. It is not easy to watch parents mentally and physically fade away.

Trust you had a great holiday break and came back recharged for the grand finale.

If either of us ever find ourselves on the opposite side of the pond, would be delighted to meet up.

Regards

John.

Chuck,

I am not all that brilliant at technical things but when I see a great looking model I think that it is awesome.

So MY input in your builds are useless but just filled with admiration for your build, one of MY favorite Birds. :wub:

Like your updates and work posted in post # 585 is simply outstanding.

I can only gaze at it and think that it is simply fascinating and fantastic work..so having read your updates{ which are unexpected as I though you were on holiday with your wife...I hope she is feeling okay after her dads funeral...and that you are both enjoying your break,,but you are modeling }

I can say its simply very technical yet simple enough for such as I to understand.thanks for a great thread and lovely build. :coolio::salute:

Keep it coming. :wave:

Edited by HOLMES

Everybody, thank you very much for your kind comments and condolences. For those who may be interested in some pics of my vacation, I have a few of our trip to Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea here:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/chuck540z3/Tahiti/

Edited by chuck540z3

As mentioned earlier, I need to complete and install the main landing gear for reasons that will become apparent at the end of this post. I heard that the kit tires were not very good, so I had already bought Grey Matters resin "Tyres", # GMAJR3203 as replacements. I wasn't happy with these resin tires for reasons you will soon see, but fortunately Barracuda resin has come out with a set of their own as well. Here's a pic of the kit, Grey Matters and Barracuda tires from left to right. The kit wheel won't fit into the GM resin very well, mostly because the recessed lip is almost missing on one side....

MainGear1.jpg

Further, the GM tread isn't very good or accurate with way too many diamond shaped tread marks. Conversely, the kit one on the left doesn't have enough and it has a tough to remove seam line. The Barracuda tire (far right), however, is just about perfect, so that's the one I went with. It's very accurate and the wheel parts fit very well within...

MainGear2.jpg

Here's some shots of the landing gear after painting, assembly, decals, weathering and a bit of dull coat. I may add more mud to the tires later and that shine is due to the harsh overhead light. Note that I also added soda can aluminum straps around the legs to hold some of the hydraulic lines......

MainGear3.jpg

MainGear9.jpg

MainGear10.jpg

The reason I've decided to install them now is because I want to eliminate any gaps around the magnetic piece that slips in front of the gear legs, so I need to glue it in, after the gear leg is installed. Note the gap on the far side of the port side bottom. BTW, I plan on painting the gear well door edges green during final assembly, because I want bare plastic for adhesion to the gear doors I'm using to mask off the gear bays....

MainGear4.jpg

The starboard side on the bottom isn't too bad.....

MainGear5.jpg

But the top is terrible! If you don't glue this part in, this is what you're left with....

MainGear6.jpg

I may as well putty it in, just like the rest of the wing which is partially puttied....

MainGear7.jpg

For once wheel alignment is a non issue on this build, because there is only one way to install the legs with screws and they are dead straight. Whew! Once less contest deduction to worry about. I still need to add some small discs to the end of the tie-down loops on the axle, but I'll also do that at the end of the build to avoid breakage....

MainGear8.jpg

That's all for now boys- and thanks again for your words of encouragement!

Edited by chuck540z3

where the engine stains came from:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/accb6f225d31082c_large

Jari

Jari. That last pic above is MONEY! Note how the oil stain widened rearward once it his the panel seam line. Now that is pure art and I've already decided that this build will have the same pattern.

Thanks!

Guess we'll have to start calling you the "Magician".... you have turned those plastic legs into metal and the resin tires into rubber.... Amazing work Chuck!!! Sorry to hear about yer family's loss, my wife recently lost her father, so I feel yer pain. With the string of bad luck yer having, maybe some good luck is on the way :thumbsup:/>

/Jesse

Welcome back Chuck, great vacation photos!!!!Nice place and very exotic but i insist, you should take a cruise to Aegean islands, plenty of sun and waters without sharks!!!!

As for modelling, what can i say, work of art my friend, as always, one question though, how did you clean the putty, over the Alclad?

John