I'd be very surprised if there were no Sparrows mounted in the aft wells. I'm not sure if the F-4E's ever carried MER's loaded like that on the outboard stations in combat. I know it was done in testing.

IIRC, I think the Squadron in action book on the F-4 has a photo of an early F-4E (short gun muzzle) in Vietnam with a MER of snakeyes on the left outboard pylon.

IIRC, I think the Squadron in action book on the F-4 has a photo of an early F-4E (short gun muzzle) in Vietnam with a MER of snakeyes on the left outboard pylon.

waylandcool-

You're right. This is on page 35. 469 TFS/388 TFW Korat RTAB, tail code JV, last three of the s/n 316. Mk 84 right outboard, TER w/ 3 Mk 82 daisy cutters right inboard, 600 c/l tank, TER w/ 2 or 3 (hard to tell, crewman in front of them) CBU-24B/B CBUs left inboard, and the MER with 6x Snakeye outboard left.

Other than the loadout, of note in this photo are the dark inside surface of the nose landing gear door with the S/N last three painted on it in white, the splitter plate has some sort of cloudy appearance (censoring?), there is a shark mouth on the nose, and the high contrast of the two "blacks" of the radome. The photo was taken with the A/C extremely wet, there appear to be raindrops splashing on the tarmac. This may contribute to the unusual appearance of the radome.

Hey folks, reviving this one; Jim, can you repost that photo of the F-4D with the Rockeyes again? Or, just as well, if you can just tell me the entire loadout, I'd be MUCH appreciative. Long story short, I lost whatever I'd saved and/or written down from all this.

Thanks!

Alright; Reviving a Phantom thread is always good 271.gif !

waylandcool-

You're right. This is on page 35. 469 TFS/388 TFW Korat RTAB, tail code JV, last three of the s/n 316. Mk 84 right outboard, TER w/ 3 Mk 82 daisy cutters right inboard, 600 c/l tank, TER w/ 2 or 3 (hard to tell, crewman in front of them) CBU-24B/B CBUs left inboard, and the MER with 6x Snakeye outboard left.

Other than the loadout, of note in this photo are the dark inside surface of the nose landing gear door with the S/N last three painted on it in white, the splitter plate has some sort of cloudy appearance (censoring?), there is a shark mouth on the nose, and the high contrast of the two "blacks" of the radome. The photo was taken with the A/C extremely wet, there appear to be raindrops splashing on the tarmac. This may contribute to the unusual appearance of the radome.

You guys propably talk about this picture?

Bomb-Load_zps354fa4e5.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I reposted the picture in Dec 2013 and it's still there on page one of this thread.

According to Marshall Michel's Clashes, only F-4Es were used as part of the Hunter/Killer teams (p. 257). They carried four CBU-52s (possibly even CBU-52B/Bs using SUU-30H/Bs, but in any case used the long-nosed FMU-56 electrical proximity fuzes) as flat-twos on the inboard pylons, three fuel tanks, AIM-7E-2s in the aft wells, and a pair of AN/ALQ-87s in the forward wells.

If you want something unusual try this:

scan0071.jpg

It's been identified as a chaff bomber and from what I've been told, photos of them are pretty rare.

That would be a pretty cool subject. From what I have read, these aircraft had one of the most dangerous missions during the last phases of the war (Linebacker). They had to fly a fixed formation, ahead of the strike force to lay down a carpet of chaff that would protect the planes behind them. Very vulnerable to SAM's and MiG's and they took heavy losses.

I'd be interested in seeing some detail shots of the chaff pods. As noted above, not may pics of these aircraft or the pods.

yeah, those are Gravel Pods, Pete

I bet there were on the extreme "not popular" list with the pilots, what with the temperature monitoring that had to be done so that the Freon didn't melt while they were still in the dispenser

There's a good pic of them in one of the Phantom books, I don't remember which one, though

But, SUU-38 would have CDUs loaded with the anti-personnel and anti tank BLUs in them (in flight, CDUs look sort of like Olive Drab mess kit coffee cups falling out of the SUU-38 before they open)

These dispensers have the "holes filled with yellow stuff" look of the SUU-41s,,,,and I just remembered where the "more clear" color photo of the Gravel Pod dispensers is, it is in the weapons section of "Spirit in the Skies"

one of us has the 38 and 41s mixed up

I think the -38 is the one with ten compartments, that is filled with many CDUs that deploy out of the compartments, fall for a while and then open up and deploy the BLUs out of them (which can be anti-tank or anti-personnel, or a mixture)

and I think the -41 is the one with ten compartments, that is filled with a mixture of Freon and many very little BLU bomblets called "Gravel", the mixture being a yellow color

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-s.html#_SUU

since they are the same dimensions, the quick way to sort them out in photos is to look for the bottom surface, if you see "yellow stuff", it is a -41, if you see "green cans" it is a -38

and I do indeed see the Yellow Mixture in this photo

I agree, and if they did any one of the 11 feet, 10 inch dispensers, with all the fins,,,,,,we modelers could then change them into whichever dash number and fin group we wanted.

But, there is a long list of armaments that have never been released for models

How about a pair of 3000lb LGBs:

http://www.8tfw.com/pdfs/Photo/433/66-8815.jpg

Jari

Not that it makes any difference modeling wise (since no one has done M118 LGBs), but if you look at the tip chord of the LGB under the left wing (on the right in the photo), I'm pretty sure that's a Mk 84 LGB. One of each seems to have been the standard load from the few photos I've seen of this configuration.