I'm going to get a little ambitious here and do two side-by-side builds. There's a simple reason for this, I'm also swapping the kit decals. I'm starting with Airfix's FAA Corsair kit in 1/72, which is the old Heller F4U-1, a nice little kit once you sand off the rivets even if it is a mix of -1A and -1D features (really it's a -1A with pylons). The reason I bought it though is the decals, it's got decals for 1841 and 1842 Squadrons off the HMS Formidable. The 1841 markings are naturally for Hampton Grey, and I really want one of his birds on my shelf and the Airfix kit is the cheapest way to get the sheet (the CanMilAir sheet costs more than the Airfix kit). But since I want a top-notch rendition of his MkIV, I'm using the Tamiya kit, easily the best Corsair in 1/72. Luckily the Airfix instructions show the necessary mods to either kit to get a proper FAA Corsair (the wingtip trim).

That leaves me with the decals from the Tamiya kit to spare, so I'm going to use them on the basic but nice Airfix/Heller plastic. I'm not sure which markings though, I may in fact use a set of Kagero markings for a -1A mixed with the Tamiya insignia to get the most mileage and get a -1A out of the deal as I don't have a proper -1A on the shelf right now.

7167874957_15483a2c22_z.jpg

Two Corsairs by mawz_models, on Flickr

Pretty sure the Airfix F4U is their own kit; Heller's kit had separate outer wing panels. I have fond memories of building the Airfix kit years ago. At the time, I think it was the only kit that had the inner wing bomb racks of the 1D. Enjoy your build!

Pretty sure the Airfix F4U is their own kit; Heller's kit had separate outer wing panels. I have fond memories of building the Airfix kit years ago. At the time, I think it was the only kit that had the inner wing bomb racks of the 1D. Enjoy your build!

If Heller had another Corsair, then they were boxing the Airfix molds for decades, I've built this kit before in an ancient Heller boxing with the exact same plastic. Of course it could be originally Airfix plastic.

I was considering doing the FAA kit as well. Had no idea it had rivets like that. Are u rescribing it or r the lines already there you just need to sand off the bumps? I've never opened mine.

It's all raised detail and most is mythical. I'm just sanding it down this time, no rescribe, which leaves me with control surfaces as the only visible detail on the model. I've got another one in the stash, I'll steal the decals for another Tamiya and plan to try a rescribe on that one, I've not done rescribing before.

Edited by mawz
  • 1 month later...

Well the Airfix is filled and about ready for paint. Need to mask the cockpit as the unique canopy installation precludes installing the canopy before painting.

7575254922_c249cc5e90_z.jpg

Airfix FAA Corsair 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

The Tamiya on the other hand is fully ready for paint

7575254352_1878e2917f_z.jpg

Tamiya F4U-1D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Of course the Tamiya is getting the simpler scheme, the Airfix will have a Yellow Nose while the Tamiya is just GSB all over.

Paint is done, and all the major markings are on. Just need to do my least favourite part, stencils, finish painting the prop's, bombs and wheels and final assembly.

7587061306_49f94ccf37_z.jpg

Two Corsairs by mawz_models, on Flickr

I must say that picking up the Airfix kit is worth it for the decals. They're superb, Cartograf produced, and full stencils are included. Only downside is that since the marking guide is based on accurate Corsair lineart, it's not much use for the included kit given the rather fictional panel lines, but it works well for the Tamiya kit.

The Tamiya decals on the other hand are the usual mixed bag. Thick, fragile and too reactive to solvaset, but dense printing and good art.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks RKic,

They're done now. I borrowed a pair of British 500lb bombs from the stash (They're from Academy's Tempest for those in need) as the BPF relied on their own logistics and therefore stuck to British bombs for their Corsairs and Hellcat's, with no rockets equipped.

7729480958_56462c1384_z.jpg

F4U-1D and Corsair Mk IV by mawz_models, on Flickr

7729480772_ce8e6a79f9_z.jpg

F4U-1D and Corsair Mk IV by mawz_models, on Flickr

7729480596_0a9f44e766_z.jpg

Tamiya Corsair Mk IV 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

7729480448_fb7d7d2171_z.jpg

Airfix F4U-1D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'll be back soon with a second pair, thinking either Zero's (Tamiya and Airfix again, but the new Airfix kit) or a pair of FAA Hellcat's (Eduard and Academy, with Eduard decals all-round)

Edited by mawz