Prometheus -- save your money

Wasn't hoping for much anyway!

Whereas the original Alien movie was a spirited new take on the traditional slasher-fest, Prometheus looks more like yet another heavily targeted product staffed by designer-clad teen-friendlies... :rolleyes:

I personally don't care what anyone says about it - I'm still going to see it. It doesn't have Winona Ryder in it and that's a winner for me.

It's not meant to be a prequel as such - its supposed to be set parallel to Alien. Kinda like what that stupid Ewok movie did for Star Wars :gr_barf:

Would anyone see a movie just because 1 or 2 people say it's bad? :action-smiley-081:

OMG!! Do we now have an emoticon that moons people???!!!! That some funny crap!

Anywho, yeah, even though I was just mooned, I will try to catch this one. Hope they keep up with the original script that was bouncing around a few years ago. Unfortunately, what Ive been hearins is the over-tweaked it.

-Jim

It hasn't made me feel safer about Blade Runner 2...

Question (probably better for IMDB I suppose) - when the second lead character starts displaying great knowledge about how to read and manipulate the strange alien artefacts, did anyone else think whoa, shouldn't the rest of the crew be noticing this and questioning said character about what they knew and what this meant? Maybe even doing something scientific with the information gained?

Great review J, will read again. :rolleyes:

I think people who say it was horrible or sucked (fantastically detailed review) are those that expected it to be in vein of Alien. It isn't. Because it isn't same series, and because even Ridley Scott has been careful with labeling it "prequel".

Now, sure it has plot holes. Some will surely be filled because it is part of new trilogy. Another weak point, and probably the weakest, is that characters felt very one dimensional, and you just didn't care who died or lived. But still, overall, i would say it is great movie.

Edited by Berkut

Thanks for the feedback-didn't make it to the showing yet, maybe tomorrow. I will go as I gotta know what correlation there is w. the derelict ship. I was in 5th grade when my friends dad took 6 of us in the bed of his pickup truck (remember those days?) to see Alien & it has been a part of my life ever since. I am more interested in the story being told than the hoopla really.

Great review J, will read again. :rolleyes:

I think people who say it was horrible or sucked (fantastically detailed review) are those that expected it to be in vein of Alien. It isn't. Because it isn't same series, and because even Ridley Scott has been careful with not labeling it "prequel".

Now, sure it has plot holes. Some will surely be filled because it is part of new trilogy. Another weak point, and probably the weakest, is that characters felt very one dimensional, and you just didn't care who died or lived. But still, overall, i would say it is great movie.

Oh God, you mean there's more...? :rolleyes:

Unless you've been living at the other end of the galaxy for the last few years, you could not possibly avoid Ridley Scott's disclaimers about it NOT BEING AN 'ALIEN' MOVIE/PREQUEL/SEQUEL/ANY DAMN THING!!! But...'contains traces of Alien', or whatever. So I hope no-one was expecting 'Alien X'.

The one (if that)-dimensional characters are pretty much what I'd expect from a largely one-dimensional cast who the producers specified to catch the exalted, un-critical demographic that sucks up by-the-numbers multiplex ordure such as 'Twilight Saga'.

I'm not saying 'Prometheus' is in that category -or that anyone who enjoys it is in that demographic! But to me, it looks like it wants to be -even before I get to the box-office.

I'll try my luck, of course, and I'm pleased that it chimed for those who liked it, but you just went and confirmed my sad prejudices about this movie!

I guess Ridley Scott, like many folk, just has a bigger mortgage these days...

Edited by ChippyWho

Unless you've been living at the other end of the galaxy for the last few years, you could not possibly avoid Ridley Scott's disclaimers about it NOT BEING AN 'ALIEN' MOVIE/PREQUEL/SEQUEL/ANY DAMN THING!!! But...'contains traces of Alien', or whatever. So I hope no-one was expecting 'Alien X'.

Eh. If that was aimed at me, i suggest to re-read my message slower one more time.

Oh God, you mean there's more...? :rolleyes:

Given the wide variety of styles shown by the various Alien films over the years, I think one could be mistaken for thinking that, given the story takes place in the same universe with the same basic premises, you could reasonably expect a good-to-excellent science fiction film with some vaguely familiar bits in. That's what I was hoping for, anyway..

The disclaimers to me are a complete cop-out:. Nice if you're respected enough to get away with it.. Instant audience, all the history pre-done but also full freedom to play with the core material. Likewise the stuff about this film being propped up by its' trilogy companions.

The one (if that)-dimensional characters are pretty much what I'd expect from a largely one-dimensional cast who the producers specified to catch the exalted, un-critical demographic that sucks up by-the-numbers multiplex ordure such as 'Twilight Saga'.

I'm not saying 'Prometheus' is in that category -or that anyone who enjoys it is in that demographic! But to me, it looks like it wants to be -even before I get to the box-office.

Credit where it's due: Guy Pearce (well, some of him), Charlize Theron, Idris Elba - good actors...

I, for one, enjoyed it. My only complaint is that first, the high-mined questions that were raised in the beginning didn't really pan out in the end, but second, should they have even been raised in the first place? I'll admit, I came in a bit late to the game with Alien (saw it for the first time a year or two ago), but even that movie never struck me as high philosophy- it was a romp through a creepy spaceship with a scary alien. Besides, the Space Jockey was my favorite part of Alien anyway, so a bit of backstory (but not really enough to ENTIRELY ruin the mythos) was fun. True, some of the mystery is gone, but there's still plenty left.

I enjoyed it overall. However, I think it was partly spoiled by the constant stream of trailers, each with a new clip that, when you put them all together, told most of the movie and ruined almost all of the surprise. It was so overhyped (they had tie in commercials with Coors beer and the Deadliest Catch, at least) that I don't think it could possibly live up to all the expectation. I thought the effects were good (the self surgery scene was pretty intense!), but the plot and writing were poor. A lot of things happen that make little logical sense, other than to move the plot forward, and a lot of things happen that no one seems to question, or even ask what's going on here (except for someone who figures it out, even though they have been on the ship most of the time). Also thought the final confrontation was far too short, and the very end was pretty unbelievable, considering what had happened.

To be honest, it was never going to be better than the original Alien, which was pretty much a great horror movie. Even Ridley Scott said that after the 4 Alien movies, plus the AVP films, the Aliens weren't scary any more and there wasn't any value in just making more of the same old Alien, egg, and facehugger scenes. I think it's good he wanted to go somewhere else than just a straight prequel, but I think it turned into a bit of a mismash that left open more questions than it answered.

I will definitely see this on DVD. Who said this was supposed to be part of the "Alien" saga? I never head that, and trashing it because it's not a thrill ride like James Cameron's entry in the franchise seems a bit shallow. I'm reserving judgment till I get to see it, and will endeavor to consider it on its own merits without reference to other films.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I saw it and I enjoyed it. To me, it left enough ambiguity to make it enjoyable at least for me. I don't necessarily like it when something tries to plug all the holes in something as a full prequel and go "see, that is how THIS happened" in a nice tidy little bundle. This one leaves me with questions like an SF horror version of 2001 almost (which left A LOT of us with A LOT of questions). So, it "could" be a prequel or just a parallel story. Taken on its own, I think it works and it left enough questions to have me wanting more.

As a movie, it was two hours of entertainment. And I did watch a matinee BTW, so I didn't blow $10 odd something on it (unless one factors in the drink I got).

As for the Alien franchise, personally I think they muddled that up so much with the Aliens vs. Preditor stuff that Prometheus I think makes a better sideways attempt to throw a little mystique back into those questions a lot of us tried to answer in 1979 when we first saw the derelict spacecraft. Yes, we KNOW a certain alien with a toothy tongue and a variant that will impregnate you with a fetus if you get your head grabbed by something with two hands and a tail. But that shock value has kind of gone out the window IMHO. Might as well throw something new in there.

I'd also like to point out that the ending of Prometheus does NOT dovetail seamlessly into the beginning of "Prometheus". There's still a LOT of questions on how that particular derelict in Alien ended up as it did. As far as I'm concerned, the ship shown in Prometheus was a different ship entirely.

Edited by Lucien Harpress