Prometheus -- save your money

I can't help but think: "What if Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (better yet the director's cut) were made today in the internet age".

He's already doing it, according to reports. Is it to be another pseudo-prequel, or something based on the (non-original author) follow-up books? Will it be a case of George Lucas Syndrome? Only time will tell :)

I loved it. I thought that it did something that I have never seen a movie do. It was essentially a prequel that made the earlier films all but a footnote. So it asks some big questions and it threatened to lose me about half way through but Noomi Rapace puts the story on her back and carries it nicely across the finish line. The more I got to thinking about it the more I really liked it. See it. If nothing else, in 3-D it is visually stunning.

Seen Promy yesterday night.

Sincerely, not impressed.

Too much nonsense.

The top of the nonsense in Prometheus for me is when the character SHAW self operate herself alone mechanically in a surgical pod.

All alone she give life to a monster.

Nobody in the spaceship seen or hear nothing.

She go out covered of blood but nobody other ask something to her and worse, nobody other enter in the medical chamber.

The monster (Mobby the Tentacle) so grew up freely.

This is sufficient for me to lift up white flag.

But there is more of worse.

The tentacular Monster (Mobby the Tentacle) grow up and grow up not seen by nobody.

To add thrill later in the movie we discover that the medical chamber where Mobby the Tentacle is grew up freely is part of a EMERGENCY ESCAPE POD.

The character of THERON escape from the colliding ship using this pod with Mobby the Tentacle inside, and naturally, she don't see the monster.

Finally we discover because Mobby has been left to grown freely in the surgical room.

It must help Shaw to save herself from the Engineer Terminator.

And can we speak of the character of the cyborg David?

Why they send around the space an entire ship full of persons when all the work is done by the cyborg?

He is so smart that everytime he push the right buttons. This ability permit it to see the holograms, of to open any door in the Alien's base and spacecraft.

But since that David's the core of the movie we see it's a true S.O.B.

David discover the sleeping Engineer and broke the balls to that Engineer at the point of to convert it to a Terminator.

He bring to the spaceship one of the "egg" and infect a pair of member of the equipage.

Honestly David is a genius but has the brain of Hannibal Lecter.

Last, the scene when the two crew members are left alone inside the Engineer's base.

They see a thing that resemble a COBRA to popup from the floor and instead of to run away at the max speed, the two stupids call the alien Cobra and treat this beast as if they has seen a little cat....

.... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dont need to go now.... !!! This totally encompassed everything in the movie I bet !!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first movie I have seen at the theater since the last of the Star Wars Prequels.

And This is my first time watching a 3D movie.... CGI and Graphics were Awesome!!! Story pretty lame, Too much in too short of a time. Just my thoughts.

I'm not going to see this movie again, but I do like this 3D technology.

Can't wait till Spiderman is released.

The two bit hack who wrote the script for Lost wrote this film. In lost he covered his vagueness, plot holes and other bad writing with the whole "it's a magic island" baloney. Here his crutch for bad story telling is black goop which seems to do different things depending on what the plot requires of it at any given moment.

Save your money folks.

Edited by RKic

With so mnay different thoughts on this movie I am at a loss as to what I should..

I have not yet seen it and not likely to go for a while now but some of you like it and some of you hate

it or simply don't like it for its contents or that it does not live up to its hyped up contents...or that the story is FLIMSY! :709-457:

..The CGI may be fabulous but I do like a movie with a substance to it and now I thinking I will see it and maybe come to the

same conclusion as you all..OR maybe not bother at all and go and see some other movie that is far more exciting than this,

and preferably one that is not predictable in its ending etc.. :unsure: :unsure:

WHAT TO DO... :dontknow:

Edit:RED TAILS 1 Prometheus 0..so it is RED TAILS//mind made up!

Edited by HOLMES

This movie does seem to be polarizing, people either like it and realize there is more to the story than what is explicitately shown, or the movie goes way over their heads.

I would recommend to see it and then visit the Cavolorn Prometheus explained link I mentioned earlier. Also realize this movie is the first of a possible 3 movies, so some answers will not be explained for a while.

cheers

With movies being a subjective, artistic medium, opinions will always vary on them ...

For some, a particular movie may be fantastic while others find it a wasted two hours ... No one is wrong in their opinions though ... It comes down to a matter or taste ...

All one can do before going to see a movie, if so inclined is to read some differing reviews and decide whether the movie is of what they would like ... Or just go into the theater with an open mind and take it in and form your own thoughts ...

-Gregg

Those who disagree with your opinion on a film must do so because they're too stupid to get it, huh?

No, I wouldn't say stupid, I don't get abstract art, I don't get what the artist is trying to portray - it goes way over my head. That doesn't mean a person is stupid, they may not have the correct predisposition to appreciate it. Abstract art to me is is a bunch of shapes and colors, yet other people love the stuff, which is fine by me. I don't tell people not to go and save their money, I expect adults to make their own decisions you may or may not like it but that is up to you to decide and you will not know unless you go.

cheers

Edited by GRAIL007

I think people who say it was horrible or sucked (fantastically detailed review) are those that expected it to be in vein of Alien. It isn't. Because it isn't same series, and because even Ridley Scott has been careful with labeling it "prequel".

Now, sure it has plot holes. Some will surely be filled because it is part of new trilogy. Another weak point, and probably the weakest, is that characters felt very one dimensional, and you just didn't care who died or lived. But still, overall, i would say it is great movie.

I agree with Berkut and others..... I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but good. Some pretty interesting ideas about the orgins of humans on earth, and much more of a paralell to Alien than a prequel. As for the plot holes..... defintiely at least one more sequel on the way. With dinner with my wife, the movie was $6.50 each well spent on a Sunday afternoon ;0) Fred K.

Prometheus (Promy for the friends) is a PREQUEL of ALIEN?

Looking how so old style, truck like was the interior of the original ALIEN's spaceship NOSTROMO if compared with the 2089 interior of the PROMETHEUS look like they have done a step in reverse.

The new movie is son of the our times: all inside the Prometheus is shiny all made of 3d screens and holographics devices.

The spaceship Nostromo of ALIEN instead look like an aeroplane from the AMARC store.

Do you remeber the MOTHER computer in Nostromo?

With the keyboard taken from a Commodore 64...

The new movie is done by the original Director but all the atmosphere built around the original Alien Movie is gone lost.

I forget this: there is the link to "Prometheus explained"? I think that neither mr Ridley SCOTT can explain what he want to tell with the new movie.

They have used the Badger paint stirrer to mix the confused ideas and the result is PROMY.

Only an excuse to do something in 3D, it's so trendy.

I think people are using the "mystery" to cover the fact that that it was just a very poor story. The fact that there may be mysteries yet to explain doesn't cover the stupid human behavior in the movie. Some many things happen in the movie that just make no logical sense from a story or human behavior standpoint except to get the plot going to where Ridley Scott wants it to go. It's not clear there will be another movie, much less two.

Okay. Fair enough.

I still found the plot of the movie to be full of badly patched holes. Visually stunning yes, but badly written. Which goes for many films I guess.

Okay. Fair enough.

I still found the plot of the movie to be full of badly patched holes. Visually stunning yes, but badly written. Which goes for many films I guess.

RKic, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

.....I wonder if the movie script writers forget that they are writing to entice crowds and make their movies more attractive and better than their rivals.

I also think that they probbaly write those scripts that PLEASES THEM rather looking at it from their audiences eyes as it were..so they get the facts{ where required} wrong etc and even dialog{ again where dialog needs to be factual and correct..not saying it was or is the case in this movie ! but PEARL HARBOR comes to mind...!}

It is as if one movie made mega dollars with a fab CGI scene so the others possibly try and incorporate and copy it...

What is SWEET for one is Poison for another...not all formulaes work for all movies ....

MY 0.002 cents. B)

HOLMES

Prometheus (Promy for the friends) is a PREQUEL of ALIEN?

Looking how so old style, truck like was the interior of the original ALIEN's spaceship NOSTROMO if compared with the 2089 interior of the PROMETHEUS look like they have done a step in reverse.

The new movie is son of the our times: all inside the Prometheus is shiny all made of 3d screens and holographics devices.

The spaceship Nostromo of ALIEN instead look like an aeroplane from the AMARC store.

Do you remeber the MOTHER computer in Nostromo?

With the keyboard taken from a Commodore 64...

The new movie is done by the original Director but all the atmosphere built around the original Alien Movie is gone lost.

I forget this: there is the link to "Prometheus explained"? I think that neither mr Ridley SCOTT can explain what he want to tell with the new movie.

They have used the Badger paint stirrer to mix the confused ideas and the result is PROMY.

Only an excuse to do something in 3D, it's so trendy.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I also think that they probbaly write those scripts that PLEASES THEM rather looking at it from their audiences eyes as it were..

Which is as it should be in my book - better to tell your story the way you want it than to feebly try secondguessing what the audience would want to see.

Cheers,

Andre

Which is as it should be in my book - better to tell your story the way you want it than to feebly try secondguessing what the audience would want to see.

Surely that's what a screenwriter does for a living, though? Deliver a script that will resonate with a sizeable proportion of the moviegoing public? This is after all, a mass entertainment medium and there is no reason why a cerebral theme needn't be an unpopular one, if written accessibly.

I wasn't impressed by the storyline. I believe I get most of the references (though some of the fanboy things seem to be a bit of a reach, and one could argue the very open script actively encourages this.) Some of these themes were interesting, some were risible (the Space Jesus thing is meant to be *deep*, yes?) but none for me compensated for the fact that in thirty years, the director seems to have regressed in producing films with interesting, believable, sympathetic characters who do interesting and believable things...

Surely that's what a screenwriter does for a living, though? Deliver a script that will resonate with a sizeable proportion of the moviegoing public?

Secondguessing the taste of the mass audience gave us Transformers and Pearl Harbor.

Following your own voice gave us Being John Malkovich and Pans Labyrinth.

Regards,

Andre

• 3 months later...

That scene was actually one of the teasers that aired here in the states. But I did pick up on the model building (probably more "figure painting" as opposed to actual building) bit as well. Too bad David's quarters didn't have a bunch of Airfix models hanging from the ceiling. ;)

The really funny bit though is he is using a white Ultrafine Microbrush to paint. I have a few of those in my stash which I use for Pastel weathering, glue application and airbrush tip cleaning. :D

Edited by Jay Chladek

HAving waited to see the movie after the hype settled down I have to say....that I actually liked it a lot.

It´s another kind of storytelling than Alien, I would actually have liked the movie to be even more toned down and the tempo could have been even slower.

The DVD/Blu-Ray packages are being advertised here now, billed with 'Alternate Ending' AND 'Alternate Beginning'...!

Why not just chuck together a bunch of random scenes with some editing tools and let us make our own movie???

Do you mean in terms of it just being a different ship, or a different type of ship?

It's a different ship of the same type as the derelict shown in Alien, on a different planet than Alien / Aliens to boot (LV-223 vs LV-426).

Yeah, I shoud get a life. ;)

Cheers,

Andre