I thought it might be best if I kept all my CBI builds in one thread, since I have a few of them.

5F1.jpg

The list (as of now) is

Hasegawa: Spitfire VIII (RAAF), Hurricane IIc (SEAC), P-47D (w. Rising Sun SEAC decals and AM R2800)

Revell: P-47D-30 (w. Rising Sun SEAC decals)

Edit: I;ve also added a second Hasegawa Spitfire VIII, Eduard Hellcat and a Sword Vc Trop.

I'm mostly doing these OOB with a few additions, so they shouldn't take more than two weeks each.

First one up is the Hasegawa Hawker Hurricane (SEAC Boxing)

5h1.jpg

This one will be OOB.

I got a bit of a start on it last night. I painted the interior and started some pre-shading.

5h6.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

Bit of an update.

I've assembled the fuselage and wings of the hurricane.

5I3.jpg

5I4.jpg

5I1.jpg

Really the biggest problem is fitting the area around the volkes filter.

5I2.jpg

I spent nearly an hour puttying, sanding and rescribing. Still not happy with it.

So In the mean time I started on the Thunderbolt.

One of the biggest problems was the completely devoid cockpit area.

5I5.jpg

After considering buying AM, I decided to raid a Highplanes F4U-5N for its cockpit and fit it in.

5I6.jpg

Its not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks alot better than what was there before. It still needed to be fitted, so I decided to superimpose it on the old cockpit frame by cutting out the seat and then paint it.

5I7.jpg

5I8.jpg

More later.

Edited by -Neu-

That must be the Hasegawa Thunderbolt. I have that Revell kit and if I remember it had a great cockpit. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Yeah... its the hasegawa one. I'm going to build both in the next two weeks and the revell one is decidedly nicer. I got the hasegawa kit for 672 yen in Japan... so I couldn't refuse... or so I thought. I could have purchased the Tamiya kit instead for like 1100 yen but I was thinking I'd be a bit cheap and do this one as a fast build. However, doing as I do, I then started to buy AM for it, like the engine. I should have just got the Tamiya one right off the bat.

Anyway, a quick update... I got the undercoat completed on the hurricane, you can see the effects of the pre-shading because I want it to look at bit worn, given the austere conditions of the Burmese front. The volkes filter part is attached, and scribed in... that was a pain if there ever was one.

5J4.jpg

5J3.jpg

Maybe some more tonight.

Well continuing on...

I started the Hurricane camo... I'm not done but its getting there. I did the brown first... then realized I wanted to do the white identification stripes, and now have started on the green.

5K2.jpg

5K5.jpg

Next I've been playing with a new riveter from MDC. Even though its intended for 1/48, its the best for drilling in holes that depict larger rivets (like on the ammo box, the wing root and cowlings.)

5K8.jpg

5K6.jpg

You can kinda make out the wing roots in this photo.

5K7.jpg

That's it for now.

Another Quick update;

I finished painting the Hurricane... it still needs a few touchups though, which I'll probably finish after decalling when I start fading the pant.

5L3.jpg

As you can see in the background I also finished assembling the P-47. Before that point I did some scratchbuilding. I added brass 50 cal barrels.

5L1.jpg

5L2.jpg

Then I decided to fill the landing gear bay sides with miliput. Its not accurate (the bays were square inside with some corrugation,) but the effect is better than what was there before. I'll clean it up tonight.

5L4.jpg

That's all for now.

Edited by -Neu-

Hey all

Well its time for another installment of my CBI builds.

On the Hurri-bomber I've made some good progress. The hasegawa kit offers you two option, the one on the box and an No. 1 squadron from the Indian Air Force... which played an important part in the Imphal and Kohima battles.

Hurri-1Sqn-LF208_Small.jpg

(image courtesy of bharat-rakshak.com)

Thinking its the rarer of the two schemes, I chose it:

5M16.jpg

Next I've been working on the Thunderbolt.

I dressed up the engine and things R-2800 as best I could:

5M15.jpg

5M14.jpg

And now its just waiting to be fitted onto the fuselage.

5M17.jpg

Finally I've been building my three Spirfires step by step... cockpits almost done.

5M13.jpg

That's that... see you later!

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I wanted to finish the hurricane before I left for my weekend trip, but it had to wait until after I returned.

Final Gloss coat:

5O11.jpg

Paint chipping effect.

5O12.jpg

and final photos

5O3.jpg

5O2.jpg

Hope you like it.

I'll put some time into the Thunderbolt and Spitfires tonight.

Edited by -Neu-

So I've been continuing on with my builds here, slowly as I was away for the last week.

Here is the Sword Spitfire Vc cockpit. Unfortunately I can't zoom in any further as I hand painted the instrument panel.

5Q3.jpg

5Q4.jpg

I actually assembled it but I don't have any photos of that.

Mostly However I've been working on the T-bolt.

5Q1.jpg

5Q2.jpg

5Q5.jpg

5Q6.jpg

5Q7.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... a bit of a big update. I've been working on two spitfires; a hasegawa VIII and a Sword Vc. I bought a mask from Gator Masks for the camo, which I'll report on next time.

5R11.jpg

The mask is underneath.

5R12.jpg

Finally, here is my Thunderbolt. Its missing a few things, like the radio aerial.

5R4.jpg

5R2.jpg

5R1.jpg

5R3.jpg

5R6.jpg

I'll need to take another set of photos with it and the Hurricane because these came out blurry.

5R7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Next set of photos...

So I used the masks and they were generally okay on flat surfaces, but not perfect around curve of the fuselage. I had complement it with my own tape. They certainly saved some time but I'm not completely sold about the accuracy of the shape.

5T1.jpg

5T2.jpg

After...

5S1.jpg

5S3.jpg

5S4.jpg

5S5.jpg

5S7.jpg

I might have some time to build one or two more... but this will be the last of the RAF aircraft for awhile. Hope you enjoyed this series as much as I did.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 1 month later...

So I lied. This wasn't the last one. I've been building an Eduard 1/72 FAA Hellcat with an eye for the upcoming IPMS show. I also have been building a hasegawa A6M2a Zero that served over China for fun. Unfortunately I don't have many photos of either build... just some in progress right now of either kit.

5Y2.jpg

5Y11.jpg

5Y12.jpg

and the 1/72 Zero.

5Y13.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well its funny how when you start taking a photo you realize what you've missed. I took some photos this morning of my hellcat and noticed that I forgot one of the doors and the nav lights.

6b1.jpg

6b2.jpg

6b3.jpg

6b4.jpg

I might add some rust streaks to the underside as well.

I also finished my A6M2a Zero. Its Saburo Sakai's aircraft in China from 1940 (I think)

6b8.jpg

6b7.jpg

6b6.jpg

Good question... I'm not too sure. Thanks for the compliments.

Right now I have three kits open: (all in 1/72) a special hobby Vindicator in a prewar scheme, Revell RAF Thunderbolt and another Eduard F6F, which I will probably do in a more "traditional" GSB. Truth be told my enthusiasm for another T-bolt or hellcat isn't really there... though they are pretty easy builds.

The other option is a dual box set of Pearl Harbour Hasegawa A6M2b Zeros. I'm not too sure what I might do.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 4 weeks later...