Begging help from the IT People

Ok, last week I upgraded my computer to Win 7 64 bit from XP.

Since doing the install, I've had nothing but problems.

The install is fresh, I formatted the hdd and then installed Windows.

Since installing I've had all kinds of problems. The biggest issue I'm having right now is that after awhile, might be immediately after start up or could be 20 or 30 minutes, I loose my internet connection in any of the browsers I have (IE, Firefox, Chrome). It just sits there saying loading, and that's it. I never get a page saying the page couldn't load, the connection is taking too long, etc.

The strange part is that I still have internet b/c my chat programs work just fine and I can continue chatting, I just cant access the internet through a browser.

I'm also having problems w/ Windows Explorer crashing and not recovering, and the only way to fix it is to reboot the computer, but this doesn't seem to be as big an issue now.

I've installed drivers for the motherboard & video card.

Yesterday morning, thinking that I might have a bad install, I formatted and reinstalled 7 again, but the problems continued after the 2nd install.

System specs are as follows

Intel Pentium D935 Socket 775 LGA Dual Core 3.00ghz processor

MSI MS-7255 VIA P4M900 chipset motherboard

4gb RAM (only 2.5 gb shows in Windows Properties)

ATI Radeon X1650 Pro Video Card

230 gb Seagate hdd (operating system drive)

2 TB 7200 RPM 64 mb cache Seagate hdd (data drive)

I really hope someone can help me w/ this. Im seriously beginning to regret doing this upgrade, and wish that I'd just stuck w/ XP. At this point, if I cant fix it, I'm going to format the OS drive and go back to XP.

It's really tough to troubleshoot issues like this without being able to interact directly with the system, so I think the best I can do is to offer a few possibilities.

One issue might be your RAM. Windows 7 randomly puts things in different places, for security, so if you have bad RAM it's possible it's hitting bad spots that XP missed. I wouldn't think it would cause the same issues with the same applications, but I suppose anything is possible. I have seen the random memory function cause problems with Windows 7 after the same system had worked fine with XP, and seeing that only 2.5GB is being reported, I thought it might be worth mentioning here as that could indicate a hardware memory problem.

I agree with the RAM issue at the same time. Win7 needs every bit of the 2.5 GB of RAM just to operate on bare essentials. I would go and find 6 or 8 GB modules and start from there. Go to Tigerdirect.com and you can find module kits for probably about 50 to 100 bucks depending on what brand. After that if your still having problems we can trouble shoot from there. I wouldnt install any less than 4 GB of RAM into a PC that is running the 64 bit version. And make certain that both sticks of RAM are identical. Hope this helps JOSH

Edited by Devilleader501