Okay, so here it is, consolidated... My mind wandering off into different directions on the possibilities of doing Vietnam dioramas. Here are just a few (read: lot) of ideas...

H-34

I found a very cool 1/72 UH-34 dio here

And then on the ARC, there's another interesting 1/72 UH-34 dio

There's also a pic I saw in a book of a UH-34 doing a pinnacle landing on a rocky mountain top, apparently called 'Rock Pile'. I think it would be a pretty cool scene.

H-21

I think they look really cool. I built one, but I feel like if I built another one, I could do a whole lot better... Any ideas? I've seen pics in books, but not a lot of aweseome ones online...

AH-1G

I would LOVE to do a crash scene with one of these. I think it would be a good way to show off the cobra company interior...

Something like this, but in a field... Dunno

UH-1

I think a slick delivering troops is the 'standard' scene, however, there are plenty of ways to make it just a little different... I know there's a LOT more out there, but here's some examples...

Ex. 1

Ex. 2

Ex. 3

Ex. 4

That's it for now...

Feel free to add in. Verbal ideas, real pics, models/dioramas, drawings, anything really... And it doesn't have to be constrained to those helicopters, as those are just the ones that I've thought about...

-Austin

H-21

Maybe you could have an H-21 landing on a roadway that runs through a rice paddy. Troops could be getting out of the rear door while a gunner could be engaging some nearby VC with an M60 from the front door.

OH-6

You could have an OH-6 doing a one-skid landing on the corner of the roof of an M113 APC. The APC commander could be handing up some NVA maps and documents found during the search of a bunker to the rear observer/gunner in the Loach. The M113 would be in tall grass, preventing the Loach from landing.

CH-54

You could do a diorama with a Skycrane being loaded with one of those daisy-cutter bombs. It is just a pity the nose shape is so bad on the Revell kit.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Hi

Asking other modellers on this site about a Vietnam Dio ideas is like asking a kid in a candy store what kind of candy you want....you gonna get a bunch of great candy in your bag.

In any case Ill join the party and throw in my two cents.

Picture this: An Oh 6a crashed half way in murky water on its side showing part of the cockpit and cargo area and a piece of the tail few feet away broken off. A pilot and gunner standing on top of the fuselage with one returning fire towards potential bad guys and the other one signaling a Huey coming to a low hoverrescue with its door gunner laying down fire.

What ever you decide I just cant wait to see it.

Oliver

Asking other modellers on this site about a Vietnam Dio ideas is like asking a kid in a candy store what kind of candy you want....you gonna get a bunch of great candy in your bag.

That's the point... B)

I'm bound to take elements that I wouldn't have thought of into account, and have an 'open-source' thought process for others to pull ideas from...

-Austin

OK, here are a few photos that might help with ideas. Most are from the USAAM archives.

Ray

Hueys:

This is actually Miss Clawd IV, I believe in 72, but it was after Hugh Mills had returned stateside:

472.jpg

A classic medivac scene. You could even build one of these as a white bird since some numbskull decided it would be a great idea in 72. Admittedly that scheme was short lived!

5029.jpg

A fire support base on top of a small hill. lots of possibilities here:

129th%2520alexander0089.jpg

Here's something I've never seen modeled before, a beach CA:

129th%2520alexander0087.jpg

very early medivac scene. The ambulance would add a bit of color to a diorama I'd think.

173rd%2520Sergent%252066-670002.jpg

OK, this is just an iconic image of the Vietnam War, but it somehow never gets old:

Mischelo20118.jpg

HAL-3 bird supporting Brown Water Navy. Another chance to hone your excellent boat building skills:

PICT9074.JPG

This is my personal favorite thus far. A bird has gone down and the gunners are exiting post haste with weapons ready for action. These photos are so dynamic I'd think they would make an excellent subject for a diorama:

5211.jpg

5212.jpg

If none of those tickle your fancy, I have more.

Ray

OK, here are a few photos that might help with ideas. Most are from the USAAM archives.

Ray

Hueys:

This is actually Miss Clawd IV, I believe in 72, but it was after Hugh Mills had returned stateside:

472.jpg

Ray

Great pictures (as usual). Really like the one above, it's a late version UH-1H (overall OD with no black anti-glare panel, windowless jump door) and is retrofitted with the IR-suppression kit. Very few US Army Hueys flew with this configuration in Vietnam. Wish I had this pic when I built my late war Huey.

I'm not a modeller, I joined to check out helicopter pics, stories and share my tidbits to help you guys out when I can - and I must say, you guys do some AWESOME work. That being said, I would love it and be SO honored if someone did a dio on this H-34 sketch/story:

H-34rescue.jpg

http://www.hmm-364.org/1965/richardson-tj.html

Why? Because of Lt Richardson and his crew's actions, my father survived what would have been almost certain death.

Check out Dad's letter to Lt. Richardson here:

http://www.hmm-364.org/1965/richardson-tj-ltr.html

One day, a little over 3 years ago I googled my last name when I was a little bored. One of the search results had my dad's name, and even his first name is not very common, so I clicked the link and found the letter.. in my dad's own hand. Really weird to come across a letter from your father you've never seen 18 years after he's passed.

What my dad doesn't mention to the good lieutenant is what he had to go through to get that ammo from the 1/4 guys. He was ambushed by two VC when he arrived at the ammo. One was armed with a sub-machine gun and the other a pistol. Dad managed to drop both of them with his .45 before they could drop him and got the ammo back to his guys. He was awarded the Silver Star for his participation in this battle. I have a hunch that particular portion of the battle had a lot to do with it.

Phrogger,

That is a great story.

John,

If I had had that pic back when you were building your late war Huey, I certainly would have shared it with you. I have found lots of goodies since then. Speking of which, here are some more diorama ideas:

Good ole ash and trash mission. lots of opportunities to add goodies to your dio with this one:

4924.jpg

These are from a stateside training mission, I believe at Ft. Campbell:

8690.jpg

8691.jpg

In the field helo maintenance:

8916.jpg

A couple of H-21 ideas:

965.jpg

How about an H-21 pulling a tank? I have a video of this as well:

9570.jpg

I couldn't find pics of a pinnacle landing by a H-34, but this would be an interesting dio of an unsuccessful one:

8509.jpg

8510.jpg

8511.jpg

8512.jpg