A-4E VA-152, CVA-38, USS Shangri La, ca. 1970

Well...this time my modeling "project" was different, not as a theme (US NAVY maniac) but, becouse this time I discovered... or rather he discovered me, an actual witness in the ARC forums.

The photo that inspired me was this one

A-4E_VA-152_accident_USS_Shangri-La_CVS-38_1970.jpg

and then superheat walked into my life. Tom was the controlling LSO during that incident. Thanks to his help and information that he provided me I was able to represent a better picture than what I had in my mind concerning my diorama. The link to the "build up" is here http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=249016&st=0&p=2367166&hl=zark&fromsearch=1entry2367166

So, I dedicate this diorama to superheat, Thanks Tom, I hope I didn't dissapoint you.

...and now, the pictures

P6160024.jpg

P6160022.jpg

P6160019.jpg

P6160015.jpg

P6160012.jpg

P6160010.jpg

P6160009.jpg

P6160007.jpg

Hey Zark,

It looks great! My contributions pale into insignificance relative to the quality of your work. Only comment I would make is the "gray area" under the nose looks a little strange. I would put water there, even though it would be too close, probably some of the sheet stuff you find at model railroad shops, but that is a minor factor compared to the overall effect, which portrays convincingly the dynamics and drama of the event, and that is what a diorama is all about. It's like being there all over again. Well done.

Cheers and a hand salute,

Tom

Hey Zark,

It looks great! My contributions pale into insignificance relative to the quality of your work. Only comment I would make is the "gray area" under the nose looks a little strange. I would put water there, even though it would be too close, probably some of the sheet stuff you find at model railroad shops, but that is a minor factor compared to the overall effect, which portrays convincingly the dynamics and drama of the event, and that is what a diorama is all about. It's like being there all over again. Well done.

Cheers and a hand salute,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am telling you, my only fear was that I was going to dissapoint you with the end result. Now about the "grey area", after a chat with my modeling friends here in Greece I have two options, either paint a "sea" effect as you proposed, or place a photo of the real event along with a few words about the incident...I'll see, I have'nt decide yet. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...