I decided to join this GB with the Super Hornet I started a couple weeks ago. It's the Revell kit, which was donated to me by a kind New York born Texan, along with an Afterburner sheet with VFA-102 decals.

While browsing for pics, I found this one on the USN website:

US_Navy_061119-N-8591H-016_VFA_102_the_.jpg

I thought this was a nice contrast, the Navy's newest plane, still using the old AIM-7. So I had to do that. I'm getting a pair of launch rails in a trade with Benner, and found an AIM-7 in a Hasegawa F-15E kit, so I was good to go.

Originally I didn't plan to start a thread for this, so I don't have too many WIP shots. But here's a few:

Cockpit

P6081418.jpg

Fit around the nose could be better:

P6081422.jpg

Intakes, while not accurate in depth, still nice:

P6081421.jpg

Preshaded:

P6151505.jpg

This was all before I decided to build it for this GB, more pics in the next post.

When I wanted to start with the paint for topside, something clogged my airbrush, and the air decided to escape trough the cup:

P6161510.jpg

I was not happy....

But, in the end, it came out alright:

P6171511.jpg

Need to do some touch ups here and there, but overall not too bad, me thinks.

Finally, the loadout, with the centreline tank not in the pic:

P6171518.jpg

More coming soon!

Welcome Pete and your 102 Bug. Now pass the Paprika Pringles! :popcorn:

Lol, thanks. Unfortunatly that can of Pringles has been emptied by me long ago. I use it to store my Evergreen styrene in it.

Here's a new pic, all glossy now, and ready for decals. Also got my missile launchers in the mail today, so those are ready for paint too.

P6201528.jpg

When I wanted to start with the paint for topside, something clogged my airbrush, and the air decided to escape trough the cup:

P6161510.jpg

I was not happy....

Poopy, daddy! Poopy!

At least it wasn't all over the carpet...

Nice work so far, Pete. Look forward to more shots.

Mike

And it happened again! This build must be jinxed or something. Only this time did it actually end up on the model too, and to make it worse, it was Metallizer...

So I can fix this mess:

P6211533.jpg

At least the tail looks nice, although Afterburner did make some errors in the instructions.

P6211534.jpg

OOOF.

I don't know how you guys use the gravity air brushes. I've always had the siphon kind mostly for fear/knowledge that I would spill the paint out of that gravity cup all the time.

Perhaps a bad seal in the airbrush?

Mine's a siphon type too, but without a lid on the cup. I suspect some old Humbrol paint got clogged inside it, and is messing with the airflow from time to time. I opened it up, cleaned it, tried it with water and it worked normal again. And I just did the light ghost grey on the nose again without trouble too.

i made a cap out of grey abd tube plug work magic (with a drilled hole on to to let air pass) !! i keep tilting my ab too much and get paint all over so this avoids it!

i made a cap out of grey abd tube plug work magic (with a drilled hole on to to let air pass) !! i keep tilting my ab too much and get paint all over so this avoids it!

Exactly what I imagine I would do. Mine has the jar underneath the airbrush with the straw that sucks up the paint.

How you guys can do the open cups astounds me.

Exactly what I imagine I would do. Mine has the jar underneath the airbrush with the straw that sucks up the paint.

How you guys can do the open cups astounds me.

Can't imagine doing anything else now; my first airbrush (Badger, still going strong :thumbsup: !) had a jar + syphon, but I always seemed to need gallons of paint to get it to work...

Since acquiring a cup-based brush, I found a cup attachment for the Badger so I can use minimal amounts of paint (thus not splashing it everywhere) and generally seem to keep better control.

Personal thing, of course.

Last night I tried something new. Coating the decals in future while still on the sheet. :)

OK, I just knocked over the jar of future, soaking about half of the sheet in it. :bandhead2: I was afraid that I had to buy a new one, but I just hung it to dry to see what could be saved. I tried to use it again this morning, and luckily, they're still useable! :banana: They just have to soak a bit longer than normal.