Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant (Sd.Kfz. 184) 2.Kp.Isch.Pzjg.Abt.653, SE Poland – August 1944.

Finished today is my Trumpeter “Elefant†in 1/72 scale (#07204). This is an operational vehicle depicted from the 653rd Heavy Tank Destroyer Battalion, with weathering and decals to depict a machine in Poland in late summer 1944. 2 Company was formed as a consolidated Elefant unit from usable machines located in that area, and had a total strength of 12 on hand at that time.

The kit goes together well, and was one of the first Trumpeter armor kits released in 2003. Included are the correct photoetched brass parts for the updated Elefant engine grilles, and a somewhat complicated track system. (I timed it as about 104 minutes per side to assemble the tracks) The antenna was added, and the “221†translates, I believe, to 2 Company/2 Platoon/Vehicle 1. Really quite a fun build, with an enjoyable painting and weathering experience.

Only one 1:1 Elefant remains today. Enjoy!

Adam

Elefant1-stdbqrtr.jpg

Elefant6portqrtr.jpg

Elefant7frontclose-up.jpg

Elefant5stbdview.jpg

Elefant6fronthighview.jpg

Elefant4-stbdrearview.jpg

Nice job. I have a 1/35 Italeri Elephant that I started and shelved. Mostly because I bought AM indy tracks for it and got lazy....Maybe I'll bring it back down soon.

Corret me if I am wrong but I thought there were 2 Elephants left. One at the Aberdeen Proving grounds and one in Russia. Maybe the Russian one was a Ferdinand?

Happy Modelling,

Denis

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought there were 2 Elephants left. One at the Aberdeen Proving grounds and one in Russia. Maybe the Russian one was a Ferdinand?

Happy Modelling,

Denis

Thank you.

There is a Ferdinand in the Russian Armor Museum, which is from Kursk. The sole Elefant was captured by US Forces in Italy. I believe.

- Adam