Tamiya Wildcat F4F-4

One of the builds I am doing now is the F4F Wildcat. I am using a Ultracast seat, Vector wheels, the horizontal stabs from the old KMC set, since everything else in the set is warped, and decals from Cutting Edge. The plane I want to do is Marion Carl's from VMF-223 when he was on Guadalcanal Sept. 1942.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne Beattie

DSCF2197.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

Starting to cut the plastic for the resin pieces.

DSCF2203.jpg

DSCF2205.jpg

One of the builds I am doing now is the F4F Wildcat. I am using a Ultracast seat, Vector wheels, the horizontal stabs from the old KMC set, since everything else in the set is warped, and decals from Cutting Edge. The plane I want to do is Marion Carl's from VMF-223 when he was on Guadalcanal Sept. 1942.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne Beattie

DSCF2197.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

Starting to cut the plastic for the resin pieces.

DSCF2203.jpg

DSCF2205.jpg

Hi ya

Great start so far, it is a good fun little kit. I still have my build of it around, the model is rugged like it's real life counterpart.

Couple of things. You still can cut out the sides of the floor as like the real thing. Very simple to do. Also the kit engine has no pushrods or wiring, another simple fix. I also could not get rid of the seam at the bottom of the rear gear well/firewall totaly, but tried real hard

Can't wait to see more

i have just completed this kit - mine was OOB so look forward to seeing how you make her look. Mine was built as a USS Wasp bird from Op Pedestal (ok OOB apart from 4 numbers 7's used to correct the squadron code)

This my second Wildcat that I have built. The first one was 15 years ago I think, I know its been awhile. Thanks for the input.

Wayne

Ya doing great. I got another one lying around here and will do it one day...

I've been thinking about the hobby boss F4F3 I can dream too......

While trying to dry fit the seat I realized since I am doing an early war version of the Wildcat and it only had a lap belt I didn't need the bar above the seat for the shoulder harness. I got it removed, but it was fun since the cockpit is all glued together and painted.

• 5 weeks later...