Liquitex Slow Dri Fluid Retarder vs flow Aid

I've read several threads that mention each subject product but I don't fully understand what the difference is between them. If I use the flow aid will acrylic paints still dry fast? Conversely if I use the retarder will the paint not dry fast but have less of a flow for the airbrush?

I am just a little confused as I went to the local paint sulply store and saw both products on the shelf. When I looked at the lables it seems that they both have the same ingredient. If so then what is the differnce?

I mostly use Tamiya Acrylics but since I travel abroad so much recently I have been looking for a water base paint substitute. I recently got some Italeri Acrylic paints and want to try this stuff with it since I have used Valejo Model Air in the past with mixed feelings.

I also saw on the liquitex website an Airbrush Medium. Does anybody have experience with it? Is it just a thinner or an all-in-one?

Thanks,

Denis

Retarder slows the drying time of the paint. Flow aid decreases the surface tension. Don't add either of these directly to the paint. Add a bit of them to a larger amount of solvent and then add this mixture to the paint you plan on using. Make sure to test compatibility first. I believe Liquitex retarder will cause Gunze to not dry.

Don't take the cheap way out. Use Tamiya thinner to thin Tamiya paints and you won't have any issues at all.

I use the drying retardant being Tamiya tends to dry before it hits the model. I've also used it with the new Italeri line and I actually like Italeri except it's so fragile until you clear coat it. as for the airbrush medium, I'd like to know more about that stuff, may be of use.

I have recently tried some Italeri paint using the Italeri thinner and cannot seem to get it to flow good, if at all, out of the airbrush. Did the retardant help you? I even tried a 2:1 thinner to paint ratio without success.

From the online description of the airbrush medium, it looks a lot like tamiya thinner. Here is a link: http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/search/airbrush-medium/68031/

Retarder slows the drying time of the paint. Flow aid decreases the surface tension. Don't add either of these directly to the paint. Add a bit of them to a larger amount of solvent and then add this mixture to the paint you plan on using. Make sure to test compatibility first. I believe Liquitex retarder will cause Gunze to not dry.

Don't take the cheap way out. Use Tamiya thinner to thin Tamiya paints and you won't have any issues at all.

Not taking the cheap way out, I have always been using Tamiya Thinner with my Tamiya paints and in fact never really encountered issues with them. However, since I travel a lot I have been looking for alternative acrylic paints such as Italeri, Vallejo model air, and Life Color but have never seemed to get them to go through the airbrush. I thought about trying one of these Liquitex products to get better results.

I have a couple of Gunze Aqueous paints so will keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Since the ultimate goal is to prevent the acrylic paint to "flow" better, not dry too fast and clog the airbrush I will go ahead and try the retarder.

Denis