This last weekend, I was working my night shift and SWMBO called about midnight. She sounded rattled. So I asked her what was up and she said "I just heard a loud noise from your office". My office is in the basement and is the easiest point of entry should someone decide to break in....and even then it's a stretch because of the very narrow window. So anyway....I talked some courage into her and had her go investigate with a baseball bat in hand. What she said on the phone next are words no one on this forum wishes to ever hear....."Oh my God, your display shelves fell"

On those shelves were 2 32nd scale Tomcats, 32nd F-15C, 32nd F-16C plus about 10 48th scale aircraft.

After I got off the phone, I took a quick mental inventory of what was on the shelves. The one build that came to mind was a 48th scale A-4C wearing the colors of the Blue Tail Flies...I figured I have another in the stash and I even have an extra set of those decals so I could easily replace it.....as irony would have it, that is the only one that rode it out without a scratch...even the IFR probe survived on that one.

I suppose that's one way to figure out what to do with old builds! Still....it's quite a bummer

Edited by PNW_Modeler

WOW that sucks man. I have a few hanging from the ceiling. I am waiting for the call after they fall to the ground. It's bad enough to have to build them into the perfect model and have them hit the ground and have to rebuild them in order to make them look mediocre. It's even worse when they can survive kids swatting at them with everything they have because Well their kids and just don't know any better. My 1 /48 Warthog hit the ground about a month ago I could have murdered the kid that hit it. But it went back together and is now flying again. Best of luck getting them back together and hope all will be well. No matter how bullet proof we build our models or shelves for that matter, something is bound to give and have us cry like baby's. I guess thats why we build them in the first place, the satisfaction of taking 150 pieces of plastic and making something out of it. JOSH

So sorry to read about that, Paul ... :doh: :(

Any idea what caused it ?

You know, with the replaceable Scooter coming through unscathed, ya gotta wonder who's laughing at your misfortune ... Just who the hell is Murphy anyways ?

On the bright side, you have an excuse to go shopping ...

-Gregg

I bet Mrs PNW_Modeler was doing her Zumba with such enthusiam that the reverberation travelled down to the office in the basement..

....AND the shelf fell down....Really you need to get down to the HOBBY shops soon!!!Blame the missus !!! :banana::nanner::nanner::banana:

HOLMES :tease::tease::tease::tease::tease::tease:

Sorry to hear that though ! :rolleyes::woot.gif:

Edited by HOLMES

You know, I'd see that as an opportunity rather than a disaster.

It is a good point from which to look back, take stock, think of all the things in your life you can be happy about, and all the undiscovered treasures waiting in the golden mornings of the future.

Then lie down under a train.

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

(...or get down the shops and help re-boot the economy!)

Edited by ChippyWho

So sorry to read about that, Paul ... :doh: :(

Any idea what caused it ?

Yeah, it looked like the screws in the wall brackets were a tad too small for the dry wall anchors. They came right out of the wall and from the look of them, it looks like they never engaged to grab the back of the dry wall like they should have. They had been up for 4 years that way.

I'm just glad that I am a procrastinator and haven't started some of the kits in my stash. Though.....this says something about Revell plastic.....the F-14s and the F-15C was Revell. The 15 looks like it will be back on display duty with the nose gear needing to be re-attached (it looks like it actually popped out instead of broke) and a couple gear doors and a Sidewinder. One of the Tomcats should make it through by converting to an in flight display...the nose gear actually snapped in the middle and one of the main gear wheels broke the peg off. The other Tomcat is a complete loss, several seams opened up on it and it has a huge dent where the bracket hit it. I might have to turn the F-16 into an in flight display as well....gonna be hard to repair those thin angled struts.

If those kits had been made out of that thin Trumpeter plastic....they all would have been toast.

OR.....!!!!

You could just give them a quick coat of orange, a little burn damage and make a display entitled "Used Drones". :whistle::monkeydance:

All in all though, give Murphy a right hook and hobby shop it up. Onwards and upwards!