After 1979 the bays behind the pilot were painted white. However, "A" model aircraft that went through the MSIP upgrade had there bays painted white as well. There are pictures of white bays with blue components and vice versa. In a nut shell all "A" or "C" 79 prior blue after white unless the aircraft has a MSIP upgrade. You just have to find references of the specific aircraft that you are modeling. The book The Modern Eagle Guide by Jake Melampy is an awesome reference.

After 1979 the bays behind the pilot were painted white. However, "A" model aircraft that went through the MSIP upgrade had there bays painted white as well. There are pictures of white bays with blue components and vice versa. In a nut shell all "A" or "C" 79 prior blue after white unless the aircraft has a MSIP upgrade. You just have to find references of the specific aircraft that you are modeling. The book The Modern Eagle Guide by Jake Melampy is an awesome reference.

There have been rumors of the green being painted over in gloss white but no definitive proof has been brought to light.

I don't think this would be cost effective, but I have seen repair patches over cracks painted anywhere from zinc chromate to light gray in bay 5 over the 20 years I worked on the F-15.

I worked on f-15A,B,C,D,E,I,J,and S models, take look at the names listed as input on Jakes book.

Cheers

Dave

• 9 years later...

The 1st F-15C model to get the white bay 5 was tail code #80-0002 and up.It was Col. Parsons F-15C out of Eglin AFB,Fl.It was very early 1980.I built a Revell 1/32 F-15C,33rd TFS model in 1990.I used the Eglin Gulf Spirit decal sheet for that aircraft model.It shot down 2 enemy aircraft during Desert Storm.

I specifically asked this question of a pilot I flew with that came from Kadena.  He was also a modeler too, so he took note of these things.  The Bays were not repainted in white when they went through MSIP.  Just to back it up, several years later I asked another pilot who was going to Kadena to check them when he got there.  The Bay 5 on every jet he flew still remained green.  Any Bay 5s that were repainted were almost certainly the exception.

Regards,

Murph

Murph,this is what you said back on Sept. 18th 2005.And I mentioned that tail# 80-0002 was the first to get the white bay 5.This was very early in 1980.I worked at Robins AFB where we work on the F-15.

MoFo said:
And to (perhaps) make this easier when it comes up again in the future, anyone know the aircraft number for the first white (or last green) jet? Would it correspond with a production block, or was it just a simple running change?

Mike,

Seems pretty simple to me, just look at the tail number. The last C model that would have been green was 79-0081 and the first C model that would have had the white Bay 5 is 80-0002.

Regards,

Murph