A question for the Camera afficiandos

Gents:

Considering the purchase of a new camera to replace my old Coolpix 4500. I am looking for something not too pricey, keeping in mind this is for general use. I am by no means a "pro". This will be used for everything from shots of the pets, to aircraft, to landscapes etc etc etc.

Right now I can obtain a D-3000 DSLR at Wally World for $348.Certainly a good starting point for a DSLR and a good camera to boot for my purposes...................However, I can obtain a new Coolpix 510 for $279 (with a $100 off coupon that I have) The Coolpix is a 16.1 mp with 42X OPTICAL zoom, which effectively gives the camera an equivalent lens range of 24 to 1000 MM. Shoots video with stereo sound, GPS enabled and a bunch of other features. Any thoughts? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Alvin5182

Edited by madmike

Don't worry Alvin...we get so many camera seller spammers that certain words automatically get changed to the "I am a spammer" phrase. This helps and it results in more readers reporting the spammer to us so we can deal with it.

Hi Alvin

go for the 510 over the D3000, from all I have heard the D3000 is a crummy dslr.

If you do decide the dslr is the way to go I would strongly recommend the D3100.

they are about the same price as the D3000 and is a way better camera.

here are a few links if you want to compare the two

Ken rockwell has some good reviews of the two, I cant link directly to the individual reviews because of the spam filter

Ken rockwell

D3000 prices

D3100 prices

HTH Dylan

Edited by dylan

Yeah, you're talking to a bunch of Canon users here. They consign us "N-I-K-O-N" users to spam. :tongue-in-cheek:

DANG IT!!!!...no matter what I do I'm thrown into a minority.....first modeling, now because I use Ni-kon (D3100 BTW) I'm forced to be in the I AM A SPAMMER group, and there ain't many of them around.....Oh woe is me :crying2: .... :whistle: B)

Gents:

Proud to be a long time "spammer" member! I'll probly' go with the Coolpix 510. Sounds like a pretty good, all round camera at a reasonable price. I was a little concerned about the 42X optical magnification figure,but you can't beat (I am a spammer, please report this post.) I am a spammer, please report this post. "glass". Anyone looking for a Coolpix 4500 lenses? Telephoto, fisheye and wide angle. Oh yeah, and the camera is for sale as well.

alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182

DANG IT!!!!...no matter what I do I'm thrown into a minority.....first modeling, now because I use Ni-kon (D3100 BTW) I'm forced to be in the I AM A SPAMMER group, and there ain't many of them around.....Oh woe is me :crying2: .... :whistle: B)

Look at it this way, my good buddy, we're an select crowd of Ni-kon users. We gotta stick together against the unwashed masses. :) A proud Ni-kon D300s user.

Ah well tricky...I would go for a D3100 (as I actually did since I own one :P)

I´m having opinions tho about the coolpix 510 and similar cameras.... they are made to look like SLRs and have similar properties but in my eyes they are the worst cameras trying to mix the compact camera with a SLR and end up with the worst of both worlds....

it´s big as a SLR and costs as much as a SLR housing but aren´t as flexible as a SLR, far from it actually, you can´t change lenses as with and SLR, neither are they as practical as a good compact camera that neatly fits in your pocket.

If you want a good compact camera I would recomend Canon Ix 130 IS, it´s a good allround camera perfect for shooting WIP pics and is very versitile, I´m using it´s older brother for my WIP pics, the Ix 120 IS, and it´s a far better snapshot camera than a SLR.

I use my SLR for those photo shoots when the model is finished and a 18-55 lens is all you really need for casual use.

A tripod would be a good investment as well...even the compact camera would benefit from it :D

Pic taken with my D3100 on a tripod, a 18-55 glass, 4 second shutter time, f/20, ISO 200, and timed trigger.

DSC_7442.jpg

A close up snap shot taken with my Canon Ix 120 IS,taken in macro mode and manual white balance

IMG_4190.jpg

Good luck with the camera purchase :D

In the NI - KON, vs. Canon debate, I have sided with n-i-k-o-n for years and have been very happy. I too had a Coolpix 4500 and thought it was fantastic. I have recently bought a n-i-k-o-n D3200, my second SLR. It's worth looking at for you. Newer then the D3000 means it has a newer sensor, 24MP capability, and it also has built in guides to help with mastering settings for different shots. Plus you can use the full selection of DX lenses.

The price on your D3000 is really good, but the D3200 should not be much more, and you'll get a better camera.

Good luck.

Kevin

(edited to remove the weird "i am a spammer" message)

Edited by kevin.n.home

For less than the cost of a decent Canon snap shot camera and a DSLR camera together, you could get a D3100 $350-$400 US plus a Ni-kon 24-85 micro-nikkor (early era glass, that is still top-notch) for about $40.00 on ebay. And you'd have all you need, plus a higher quality image than shooting on a compact sensor that the Canon snapshot camera would have. Yes, Canon has great capability in shooting macro on their compacts, but I'd sooner go after a true macro lens and a DX DSLR over a snapshot camera.

One lens, the 24-85 would be all you'd need for shooting a model. Zoom into 85mm for the detail, Zoom out to 24 for shooting the entire model. And if you want the flexibility to do other stuff. Save up your gold...and buy a 18-300mm when Ni-kon releases it, it'll be a great all-around vacation lens. When you get into shooting photography with a DSLR, you start learning about minimum focus distance. That's the minimum length of distance that you have before your AF starts going all wonky and you can't auto-focus worth sour-owl s*** and frankly, in macro work, it's better to dial it in manually! For most normal lenses, it is around 12 inches from your subject matter. With a 50mm f/1.8 normal lens, it's 6 inches. With most compacts it's the same 6 inches. With a macro lens you can get within an inch or an inch and a half. For macro work, you want 1:1 reproduction. Most compacts, the best you can get is 1:2 reproduction 1/2 the size of the real life image. Which means when you take a photo, the closest you can focus and make the image is half the size of the real life subject.

And hope to HELL...you don't get bit by the photography bug. A lot of the guys will tell you that I started out on this forum asking about a great little macro point and shoot just to photograph my models. ~dripping sarcasm~ Yeah...one encounter with the photography bug and look at where it got me. Down in my signature, you'll find the reason. Now I'm looking at saving up for a damned NI-KON AF-S VRII 600mm f/4+1.4X teleconverter...thanks to a good buddy (and his insistence that I should play with the big boys with a decent prime super telephoto...) Ethan Meleg...who yeah, BTW is a Canon user and professional wildlife photographer. So I'll be looking at a solid $15,500.00 expenditure in the next three years.

Ni-kon AF-S 600mm f/4 IF-ED VRII 9,699.99

Kirk LP-46 80.00

Jobu Black Widow Pro 2 Gimbal 699.99

Gitzo GT5562GTS SER. 5 6SECT CF Tripod 1,499.99

Ni-kon TC-14EII 399.99

Ni-kon TC-20EIII 569.99

Ni-kon 105mm f/2.8 VR IF-ED Micro-Nikkor 829.99

Subtotal 13,779.94

Taxes (Provincial Stupid Tax & Government Stupid Tax) 1,653.59

Total (after taxes) 15,433.53

Complete Utter Gear Satiation and Happiness Beyond Compare - PRICELESS.

Some Things in Life Are Free...for all others, there's Credit Cards. :P :woot.gif: At least until the BILL arrives - OH SH**!!!

Edited by The_Animal

I hear ya Animal

a year and a half ago I picked up a D3100 with a 18-55 kit lens. then the bug bit

I just upgraded to a D7000 and I now have 4 fast primes, a couple of 18-xx super zooms and a really nice old school 75-300 tele. along with extras like polarisers for all the lenses I own and battery grips,remotes,flashes,fast SD cards,and a couple of tripods. then there is software, Lightroom4 then a new 27 inch monitor then a calibrator for the new monitor......the list goes on.

and I still want more, the 70-200 f2.8 is next with the tc2 teleconverter.

I hear ya Animal

a year and a half ago I picked up a D3100 with a 18-55 kit lens. then the bug bit

I just upgraded to a D7000 and I now have 4 fast primes, a couple of 18-xx super zooms and a really nice old school 75-300 tele. along with extras like polarisers for all the lenses I own and battery grips,remotes,flashes,fast SD cards,and a couple of tripods. then there is software, Lightroom4 then a new 27 inch monitor then a calibrator for the new monitor......the list goes on.

and I still want more, the 70-200 f2.8 is next with the tc2 teleconverter.

Oh, dear God... You're gonna probably want the 600mm next. :D Trust me it's an ever-increasingly fast downward spiral for the pocket book. I haven't managed to start saving yet, but will be come January 2013...and my bank card is already screaming in fear. :woot.gif:

BTW Hugo, a battery grip does wonders in balancing the D300s/D700 with the 70-200mm (and a tele). Just be able to carry about 6lbs. of gear around your neck unless you have a camera shoulder strap. Got the Black Rapids RS-Sport strap for that.

Just had the opportunity to play with a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens the other day, and compared to that, the TC-20EIII+70-200VRII is lightweight. Ho, man...that 120-300mm was a heavy bugger. And the 600mm will be even more so.

Sigma-120-300mm-f2.8-EX-DG-OS-APO-HSM-lens.png

Retail Price being $2,999.99 Cdn.

550543_10151028501320295_763253781_n.jpg

Test Shot - barebones 120-300mm f/2.8 Sigma

545061_10151028501450295_71243708_n.jpg

Test Shot - Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 Sigma, at 420 f/4 with Sigma 1.4X teleconverter.

Since I was trying to test it out for possible wildlife photography, I focused on bird sized objects in each shot, The lamp bulb in the first, the hanging pot in the second.

Edited by The_Animal

Your FB wall is on fire BTW.

Yeah...what else is new? LOL

Diss my Ni-kon...my friend...and I'm gonna give you a "Lakers SUCK!" Your photos do rock, though. :D

Lakers suck? Don't make me go there about your Canucks, then...LOL. But I'm glad you like my pics...thanks, Hugo ;)

Lakers suck? Don't make me go there about your Canucks, then...LOL. But I'm glad you like my pics...thanks, Hugo ;)

Believe it or not, I've shot with a Canon before too. :D

2007_LD10_Canon40D.jpg

Canon 40D :monkeydance:

Canon40D_exif.jpg

I'm gonna go test out the 60D to see if that thing is any better than the 40D. And this time, I'll use Av Mode. But I like my NI-KON! :P so there.

Edited by The_Animal