A question for the Camera afficiandos

I agree with Aigore's comments. I have a Canon S3IS which is the same concept as the Coolpix you are looking at, I also have a Canon T1i which is Canon's entry level DSLR (I don't know where if fits in N i k o n 's line up).

I do think these in between cameras are a nice compromise, but they are a compromise. Other than a huge zoom they do not offer anywhere near the same capability of a DSLR even dismissing the DSLRs ability to change lenses (I'll let the real photo guys explain all the bits beyond zoom and mp). While smaller than most DSLRs they are still too large to easily carry unlike most point and shoot cameras that can go in your pocket.

I use both cameras and I'm looking at getting a small point and shoot to complete the range, so I have something other than my phone when I want a camera I can easily carry around, as it is not always practical to lug around a camera purse.

Hey Hugo, forget the 600mm. You want this:

61e8bc68.jpg

Holy freakin' JEEBUZ!!! I'd be able to photograph a bald eagle's EYEBALL with that thing. :woot.gif: I feel sorry for that poor guy's back. I think he was carrying an old AI-S 800mm f/5.6 too. Yeah...I think I'll just stick with my idea for the 600mm, Ryan, but thanks...I need to go clean up my drool now. :D