Question on Tamiya Spraypaint

I noticed that Tamiya has got FS 36375 (Lt. Ghost) and FS 36320 (Dk. Ghost) in spray cans. I've heard a lot of people talking about "scale effect" and how the paint will be a little darker than it should. Anyway, am I better off lightening up the Model Master Ghost Grays with some white and airbrushing them, or would I get a decent, accurate gray with the Tamiya sprays? I've never used an airbrush before, so I'm a bit nervous :unsure: , but I'm comfortable with spray cans because I've used them before and actually know what I'm doing.

Tamiya paints are not lightened for scale effect. This includes both the spraycans and acrylic/enamel ranges available in pots. With any spray can paint, note that touchups are very hard to achieve as there is a definite tonal variation between both the paints in the pot and the spray can.

That being said and done. Tamiya sprays are the best hobby spray can paint available, laying down a very thin, even layer. This means two mist coats 15 mins apart to set up the final "wet" layer. Failure to do this will cause the paint to "draw back" from any raised details and recesses, showing the underlying primer or bare plastic.

Tamiya Sprays are lacquer based and MUST go on first, before any enamel or acrylic paints. I have laid the spray down on acrylic a number of times but would not recommend it!

Tamiya AS-12 BMF and grey or white primer are particular favourites of mine. Check out my postings of my 1:72 Matchbox Panther in the NAVair GB to see how the Tamiya USN Sea Blue turns out. :unsure:

HTH

:cheers:

MikeJ