1/48 Monogram F-106

Hello,

I have been searching pretty hard to try and find a paint scheme for my next victim. A Monogram F-106. I think I am up to the challenge. I recall seeing a camo scheme, but I think those were older 102a's during Vietnam. There is a lot of information and great photos on the web of this aircraft, but they are all painted very similar. I am considering doing a "what if" scheme for a Canadian version but They probably would have painted them similar to the U.S.A.F. If anyone can come up with a particular unique aircraft with a little different scheme than standard I would love it.

I received this kit in current for for $3.00 at the local swap-meet. SCORE!!

Looks like I am going to need a new tube of filler :blink:

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

There was a SAMI article last year which had a F-106 painted up in SEA scheme like the F-102 Delta Dagger's were when they deployed for a while to Vietnam. You could do that or you could go modern three tone tactical paint scheme, or even throw back to WW2 era OD Green scheme as well.

For a WIF scheme how about a Greek or Turkish scheme? Or you could go NATO, with a UK or Dutch scheme. Or how about a Japanese, Taiwanese or South Korean scheme? If I had time or inclination, I could do a quick photoshop, but in this case you'll have to just use your imagination!

Not a pound for air to ground... Yeah, I can see Camo as a displeasing choice. I love the Bicentennial F-106. I will consider that. The Greek scheme would be interesting as well as the South Korean idea.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and I will be sure to post photos of my progress!!

Wayfarer

What's wrong with the 87th "Bull" scheme, that's probably one of the more inspiring schemes on the six. However variety is the spice of........and to each his own.

I'm sorry, but putting camouflage on an F-106 is sacrilege!! She was an interceptor, pure and simple. Weeds & dirt camouflage would be grounds for a duel!! :)

+1.....If you miss J, I'll be next in line with my M61A1 armed wheelchair, looking for mounts for Hellfire missiles.... :chain-gun:

Thanks #1 Greywolf,

I actually have the decals for that particular squadron I believe. I just want something a little different and the Bicentennial six is winning so far.

This is a big bird. I was a little taken back when I first opened the box. It is much larger than I had imagined.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Drop me an email (jrh@pemtel.net)... I have dry transfer decals for that bicentennial bird for sale...

J

do you Really talk of the "city of Jacksonville" bicentennial f-106 ??? in 1/48!!!???

if yes, i'll take it right away!

What's wrong with the 87th "Bull" scheme, that's probably one of the more inspiring schemes on the six. However variety is the spice of........and to each his own.

+1.....If you miss J, I'll be next in line with my M61A1 armed wheelchair, looking for mounts for Hellfire missiles.... :chain-gun:

:trolls:

The kit scheme is very nice. However, the kit decals are a big load of crap

There is a guy on ebay fairly frequently who sells both 72 and 48 scale decals to make a WIF version of the 106 in Thunderbird colors. That would be very spectacular.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warbird-1-48-Thunderbirds-F-106-Delta-Dart-48023-/190666974740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64a32614

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

There's a pic of a proposed Aggressor F-106 painted like an Israeli Kfir or Nesher or Mirage I guess over on Secret Projects: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,893.30.html It's also at the What-If as well. Also, somewhere there's an online TO 1-1-4 with SEA schemes for just about everything the USAF flew and it shows the scheme for camo F-106.

"I am considering doing a "what if" scheme for a Canadian version but They probably would have painted them similar to the U.S.A.F."

Actually, they would possibly have been painted Canadian Aircraft Grey (available from Testers MM as Canadian Voodoo Grey). Canadian aircraft were never painted in ACD.

At that point in history you would potentially have three main options for markings;

- AB+3 Era. The 106 always struck me as a smaller version of the CF-105 and was around about the same time. So you could do it in the all white with dayglo orange trim in AB+3 serials and a Canadian Red Ensign. Careful with your Ensign decals though, many decal manufactures get those flags wrong. Serials would likely have been 26001 (through to however many aircraft were purchased). This is based on the Arrow having tail serials starting with 25*** and the 106 being purchased to replace the cancelled 105 (would would have been sacrilegious but never mind that). For squadrons, one can assume that as 410 Cougar Squadron was to re-equip from the CF-100 to the CF-105, that it would make sense that 410 would be first for the "CF-106". 428 "Ghost" squadron would also be a candidate for this and they had really interesting fuselage markings on their CF-100's.

For 425 squadron you would have idents of AN 101 (through to however many were assigned to that squadron).

For 428 squadron you would have idents of HG 101 (through to however many were assigned to that squadron).

The Silverleaf roundel would be between the Squadron code and serial as per normal. Silverleaf roundels would have been placed both top and bottom of both wings.

- RCAF+3 Era. Assuming a fictional purchase of the 106 in lue of the CF-101 Voodoo which started service with RCAF+3 era markings. Although the CF-101 of that time was in NMF and I've only seen one photo of a 106 in NMF (A NASA test bird). Serials would likely have been 19001 (through to however many aircraft were purchased). It's possible that these markings also included the red with shadow 'ROYAL CANADIAN AIRFORCE' markings on the fuselage side. The Air Transport Command Flash would be an option as the Voodoo was the only fighter to carry that.

Silverleaf roundels would have been on the tops of both wings. RCAF and the last three of the serial would have been on the bottom of the wings.

I assume early serials starting with 19*** based on the fact that early serials of the CF-101 started with 17***.

- Symmetrical Era. This uses the symmetrical Armed Forces/Forces Armées Ident Roundel and would have been painted in Canadian Voodoo Grey. It would have had the CANADA red with black trim word mark on the fuselage and the modern Canadian Flag. Tail serials of 106001 (through to however many aircraft were purchased). I'd also assume squadron tail crests of 409, 416, and 425 squadrons.

CAF Roundels would have been on the tops of both wings, with CAF and the last three of the serial would have been on the bottom of the wings. By the time the aircraft were repainted in CAF markings, the first three of the tail serial was the aircraft type.

Edited by RiderFan

I would love to paint it up in an Israeli scheme, but i just don't see them using the six. I am heavily leaning on the Bicentennial scheme shown earlier. I have always liked the bicentennial theme. A-7 looks great in it as well. I already have scouted out today for star masks, I am trying to find the right size of star. The larger of the three sizes i already have. The smallest star's will be more difficult to find for me.

Thanks for the Canadian aircraft marking history lesson Riderfan. Your knowledge is amazing

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Edited by Wayfarer 30

Beautiful! The way the 'six' should look! :thumbsup:

Yes indeed. This guy was part of the 49th FIS based at Griffiss AFB which disbanded sometime in the mid 1980's. I grew up at Griffiss and watched the 106's arrive and depart every day but strangely, I have not one photograph of them in my library. Same goes with the 416th BW(H). I've got some vague camera shots of these guys flying over my house (which was located on the flight path to the 12/30 (best guess at runway headings here) runway but never any good shots from Commander's Day open house.

Edited by timc