1/48 Monogram F-106

Interesting fact I am sure some of you have heard. A pilot ejected from his Six when having problems. The plane regained control and glided, then made a soft gear up in a snow covered field. Nearly undamaged!! It was railed back to base for repairs and put back into service. WOW!!

Wikipedia has the story if you look up the F-106

Yes indeed. This guy was part of the 49th FIS based at Griffiss AFB which disbanded sometime in the mid 1980's. I grew up at Griffiss and watched the 106's arrive and depart every day but strangely, I have not one photograph of them in my library. Same goes with the 416th BW(H). I've got some vague camera shots of these guys flying over my house (which was located on the flight path to the 12/30 (best guess at runway headings here) runway but never any good shots from Commander's Day open house.

I grew up in Syracuse and made a couple of trips up to Griffiss. My dad was a guidance counselor in high school, and they would let him on for recruiting purposes. I got to go up in the tower and watch the Sixes from the 49th land. I also have some shots of them in the hangar with panels opened up for maintenance. To me, the Green Eagles scheme is one of the nicest ones out there. In my Explorer Post during high school, we got to hitch a ride with the KC-135 unit out of Griffiss and we refueled -52's from the 416th. I always loved the Statue of Liberty on their tails. Good memories!

I don't have a pic and I don't know the early - mid '70s pub that I saw the pic in, but it's a basic gray F-106 with yellow wingtips and a red fin tip. I have the Hasegawa kit painted like that that I built in the early '80s. I think I had seen F-102s with the same colors. That's the scheme I like.

This is one of several pictures of a 106B NASA Langley flew in the 80s for lightning strike research. It flew with the ADC gray with blue trim for a while. One caption calls the spots lightning strikes. I believe those were the result of spot painting after strikes. They eventualy stripped the paint and it flew in bare metal. Always wanted to do one of those.

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/photo_gallery/index.php/NASA-Research/NASA-Lightening-Research/F-106B_572516_NASA_816_LighteningStrikeBurns

Space tiger hobbes,

That suggestion is one of my favorites thus far. Unfortunately, I have the single seat. I would love to convert it , but my skills are limited.

Excellent scheme though!

No, no, no, no... *this* is the way a Six should look: :)

56046505Large.JPG

I can remember in my youth going to a road off the end of the runway and watching those very Six Pack aircraft as they were in the pattern for Selfridge. I LOVE those birds and that scheme. That scheme even looked great on the Six's replacement, the F-4C, simply iconic for me.

Rick

I can remember in my youth going to a road off the end of the runway and watching those very Six Pack aircraft as they were in the pattern for Selfridge. I LOVE those birds and that scheme. That scheme even looked great on the Six's replacement, the F-4C, simply iconic for me.

Rick

Wow. You guys who lived next to fighter airbases were lucky. I lived very close to O'Hare field in the late 60s.

By that time, the only military aircraft I saw were the KC-97s and the KC-135s. The ADC F-86L unit, the 108th FIS was replaced by the 928th Tactical Airlift wing before my time. :(

Well, there was a vac 106B conversion. It's still in my stash. Couldn't get the nerve to try it. There's also the nice C&H (I think) resin conversion that's very nice and just costs you a little patience really. Not much talent required. After that, a couple of NASA meatballs and some white serial nums and you're there. But I understand.

Hi Andre,

nope, didn't receive any. I've also had no luck sending you an ARC PM or a straight e-mail via "a.vanderhoek@home.nl". I think another forumer also has a similar problem but that seems to have been sorted out now:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=249988

Do you have another e-mail? For my side, I can receive & send PMs to others on ARC but not to you. Could be a forum glitch.

ps. I left a message for you at the end of this thread:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=250629&st=0&gopid=2387402entry2387402

:)

Edited by JackMan