What new modeling hell is this?

So I'm using some pe rbf tags for the first time. Naturally they don't come with the wire so I struggled right off the bat to find something small enough. Then the question of how to attach everything.

I'm basically done w this models usage but would love some pointers or tricks since I have a bunch more.

Not an enjoyable experience.

For 1/48 (and possibly 1/72, but I haven't tried), the very fine wire inside telecoms cables looks about right; single filament attached with a dab of cyano.

Anything smaller, we're probably lookin' at, what, human hair...?

I used some wire I pulled out of phone cords. It was just small enough to get through the hole but is definitely not to scale. I think I saw a set of rbfs that came with a little spool of wire. Probably should have gotten that set. But even then attaching it to the model is the next challenge.

• 1 month later...

Or you could try invisible thread sold in fabric stores. It is human hair thin and can be painted a metallic color. You should be able to attach with any kind of glue but I would use white or tacky just in case you wanted to remove your remove before flight tags.

And this is why all of my models are made to look like they are about to take off or have just landed ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Gregg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's how I stay out of modeling hell too. Modeling is a snaphot, so my snapshot was taken at the moment of brake release. Means I don't have to droop any control surfaces, detail paint the innards of open access panels, worry about finding/making intake/exhaust plugs or covers for various grills, seeker heads & pitot tubes, or deal with RBF flags either.

It's not JUST laziness--I also like the looks of a closed canopy with a pilot inside and the ready for take off configuration.

OK, it's partial laziness too.

• 1 month later...

I have some wire that is used to guide TOW missiles to its destination. It's very very fine copper wire. Not sure where I put it though.

I found it (rather, it found me), when I was doing a pre-deployment training in 29 palms. I was walking through a field during an excercise and I tripped and fell due the unseen wire wrapping around my feet and then eventually my body....it quite sucked.

I have some wire that is used to guide TOW missiles to its destination. It's very very fine copper wire. Not sure where I put it though.

I found it (rather, it found me), when I was doing a pre-deployment training in 29 palms. I was walking through a field during an excercise and I tripped and fell due the unseen wire wrapping around my feet and then eventually my body....it quite sucked.

Those wires get everywhere!! Extremely hard to see. At least you got the last laugh