Colour external feultank space shuttle

Hello im planning to build this in 1/72.

I now the ET colours are difrent on each et but can some one point me to the good direction?

The instructions say burnt orange but i cant find it.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm currently building a 1/144 Revell Shuttle Stack and used Polly Scale Acrylic Railroad colors for my ET(picture attached below). I used Polly Scale Rust and SP Daylight Orange mixed approximately 50/50 with a few drops of Reefer White added for the base color of the ET. The inter tank area is the same 50/50 mixture with some more white added. I plan on spraying on a darker mixture of the Rust /SP Daylight Orange to highlight some of the darker areas. This build is STS-133 which was delayed in launching and the ET got darker and appeared a dark orange-brown at launch time.

These 2 Polly Scale colors have similar tones and you can add more SP Daylight Orange for an ET that hasn't sat on the pad as long or more Rust to shift the color more brown for an ET that is darker in color.

Mike.

IMG_4984.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mark,

As you're from Belgium, you (in fact both us Europeans, I'm in the UK) will probably have a bit of a search trying to find a model shop that sells Polly Scale.

I found Vallejo do a nice colour called orange brown (#70981) - from their Model Color range. This looks to be a good starting point with a drop or two of white added to vary the colours slightly. It is very similar to Revells matt 85, which I was planning to use until I found the Vallejo colour. So I'll probably experiment a bit to find the best match.

I prefer enamels for ease of use but can't stand the smell, but I find that when used correctly, I get great results with Vallejo.

I hope this may be of some help. :)

Another option if you can't find those is a line of paints for wargamming models called Citadel. I used a color called "Vomit Brown" to get this color, which is good for a newer, not so "ripened" tank before it tans.

stackonplat1.jpg

Just another option for you if you're interested.