1/48 Tamiya Mitsubishi A6M3 Hamp

This will be the first Japanese aircraft that I have built. Kit will be built OOB with maybe a little bit of wire here and there for some detail enhancements. Of course I'm going to try the blotched Jungle Green camo scheme to add a new technique to learn for the build. This was a kit I obtained from Liberator24 some time ago, hopefully I can do it justice being my first one.

Paints used:

Cockpit:

Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green

Airframe:

Primer - Vallejo Light Grey

Topcoat - Tamiya XF-12 J.N. Grey

Light green topcoat - Mr Hobby Russian aircraft wheel hub green (don't know number, sorry)

Dark green blotch - Mr Hobby IJN Green H-59

Anti glare - Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black

Leading edge markings - Mr. Color 58 Orange Yellow

Engine cowling - Vallejo Black Primer

06222012991.jpg

Edited by bashace
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered a whole bunch of Tamiya and Mr. Hobby Japanese colors from Luckyhobby since nobody else wants to ship flammables via air anymore. Should get them in next week, then work will commence.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally received all the various Japanese colors I'll need to do this kit, only took a month to get it all from Luckymodel.

At least they've arrived. Now you can start your project. Tons of time. I look forward to seeing your finished product. Good luck.

Mike

I can't wait to see your mottled finish - I have always wanted to try that.

Question: why is this model called the 'hamp' is there something specific that separates it from the Zero?

Well, when the allies named the new A6M variants, the A6M3 was initially called the "Hap". Of course, Gen "Hap" Arnold didn't like this, so they called it the "Hamp" instead.

Woohoo! Off to a smoking start. Here we have light gray Vallajo primer followed up with some Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green. The instructions call for painting the cockpit metallic blue, after exhaustive research (I have detailed books in english and japanese), decided metallic blue cockpit was for some of the older fighter types and not the A6M3.

073120121173.jpg

073120121174.jpg

Ooops, forgot to get a snapshot of the post wash detail before assembling fuselage sides, but here's the final result with that. Used thinned Model Master Flat Black to wick the details, gives a nice subtle effect.

080220121178.jpg

Aircraft only required a little filler to clean up minor areas, Mr Surfacer 1000 was applied using an old paint brush to these areas to minimize sanding. Once wet sanding was done, gave the airframe a primer coat using Vallejo Light gray Primer and painted the engine cowling with Vallejo Black Primer. Masked the cockpit with BlueTac in case anyone was wondering.

080320121194.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Figured I better knock the dust off this project and get it going again.

Here's where the progress stopped, at the point where she needs to get masked for the green colors on top. Still need to finish painting the prop and dirty up the cowl seams a bit.

090720121243.jpg

Edited by bashace
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...