Classic Airframes A5M Claude

• 2 months later...

As with most older CA kits, you can get a gem or one that will make you work! This one is making me work a bit. I had a short shot on the fuselage which will need to be filled, and a couple of areas where plastic slag adheered to the kit, which required some doctor-ing. But, all in all it's a nice kit of an obscure aircraft.The engine is a kit in itself, with individual cylinders. Airframe is together with the tub inserted, I will need to do some priming prior to laying down the aluminum. I plan to use Model Master Metalizer, and was thinking of spraying gloss black as an undercoat. I have never tried that before, but have seen some nice results from other modelers efforts.

claude.jpg

claude2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Back on the Claude. I was going to model the natural aluminum version, which had some huge and interesting Japanese charecters on top of the wing,and looked pretty cool. I undercoated it with Tamiya gloss black out of a can, which went on very nicely. For the bare metal finish, I used MM buffing metalizer, and was happy with the results. The national markings went on well, but when I placed the upper wing charecters on, they promptly cracked into pieces. So, change of plans, she will be like the one on the box, barring further decal mishaps. Some Claudes were apparently oversprayed with a gold/amber colored laquer as a perservative, giving the aircraft an opaque goldish hue. I oversprayed the model with Tamiya clear amber, which seemed to give it a nice, subtle hint of gold.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Hey! This looks great! I have one of these in the stash and you are right - they are a little rough. But I also like that 'goldie' finish to them and the huge japanese script.

I have a hangar queen oscar and a Tojo that I plan to put Krylon on this weekend. When I get those done I might pick up the Claude....

I ended up painting on the black striping, as the decals again cracked apart. Need to do a little touch up, and hopefully finish soon. Any recommendations on a clear over decals to keep them from coming apart?

IMG_0945.jpg

Edited by I-16