Summertime Build: 1/48 F-4B Phantom OOB

It's Summertime...which means a super slow down in time spent at the model bench. Been working on and off trying to get this F-4B Phantom from VF-14 completed for a local plane park that is doing an exhibit of VF-14 aircraft. This is the Hasegawa F-4B/N with the raised panel lines (guess that is the older kit). Build was pretty easy. Took off a bunch of lumps and bumps and backdated it just a little. Nobody makes VF-14 F-4 markings in 1/48, so I am stealing some from the recently released Demon aftermarket sheets that are out there. The painting is standard, but lightened up the upper surface gray to match photos references. I'm just putting on standard F-4 markings from a Vagabond Decal sheet for VF-84 I believe. These decals ROCK, and conform beautifully when using Tamiya X-20A as a setting solution.

So here she is, my in-progress. More to come as I put the thousands of little decals on and work all the landing gear/pylons/weapons.

Cheers

Collin

Preshadding with Tamiya Flat Black

DSCN3465.jpg

DSCN3466.jpg

Working the Gloss Gull Grey and white underbelly

DSCN3467.jpg

DSCN3468.jpg

DSCN3469.jpg

Drying rack (my furnance room)

DSCN3471.jpg

Trying to match the upper surface color

DSCN3472.jpg

Start of the decaling process

DSCN3504.jpg

My VF-14 Phantom in progress. No decal sheet for this bird...so it's a painful task of using about 4 different sheets to mix/match together something that looks like an mid-life F-4B.

I just ask myself...why did they have to put so many stencils on these birds.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3508.jpg

Lets see.... decals done, sealed with a light coat of Future. Drops and pylons on...then a overall coat of Alclad Semi-Sheen...then removed the canopy masking and cleaned that up. Actually starting to look like real Phantom. Landing gear and Winders/Sparrows are next.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN3553.jpg

DSCN3547.jpg

DSCN3548.jpg

DSCN3551.jpg

DSCN3552.jpg