Calling All Mirage 2000 Experts

Topic line pretty much says it all. Time to take my 1/48 Kinetic kit to the paint shop, and the instructions are calling for 80% Dark Gray/20% Dark Green over RLM 80. It just doesn't look right to my eye compared to photos of the real thing. I'm not comfortable with the whole 80/20 thing and I'd much rather have the FS numbers to go by. Online searches have been no help. My paints of choice are MM and Floquil enamels, but if I could get the elusive FS numbers, I could certainly branch out. Anyone know?

Thanks and happy modeling!

These are painted Gris Vert Fonce and Gris Bleu tres Fonce - since those shades are non-US, there are no FS numbers.

Xtracolor makes these shades, AFAIK.

HTH,

Andre

For the upper surfaces of french jets (green and grey), I use british shades from gunze/Mr Hobby, something like H330 and H331, I think. For the underside, it's more complicated, it a shade of metallic grey, not gray, not silver which varies a lot with the lightning.

For the upper surfaces, you may want to try FS 36118 and FS 34079 for the gray and green. Not saying they're an exact match, but it may get you in the ballpark.

Hi Sebastian, I have just spent 4 days hanging out around Mirage 2000’s these where the 2000-5/2000d and 2000N.

As I am building the Kinetic 2000 as a “N†I paid a lot of attention to colour. Kinetic instructions for the

upper fuselage Grey FS 36375 look right to me. The suggested Green is a mix of FS36375 (far too bright on its

own) and “Intermediate Blue†may work as a mix however I will probably be painting my Mirage using Medium green

FS34102 as a base – I may darken it down a little with an “olive†green but that won’t be decided till I see how

the green lays down on the kit. I understand where Squeezer is coming from when they says “it a shade of metallic

grey†as on scuffed/weathered parts of the undersurface this grey does indeed look “metallicâ€Â. I had to really

look close at the rear of the “N’s†belly as at first glance I thought that it was indeed “metalâ€Â. However when

you look at the (relatively) unblemished Grey on the belly of a Mirage 2000N it is clearly a light grey that I

think is close to (I am not saying this is an absolute match just “close toâ€Â) FS 38375 “Light Ghost Grey†which

is what I’ll use. See Images appended

Don I tried to get matches for FS 36118 and FS 34079 on the IPMS Stockholm’s chart at

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=35526 but this gives me an error report saying these are not valid

numbers can you give me a paint brand or “name†for these colours?

Good news for Mirage 2000-5 fans is that the single seat from Kinetic will be out in the next couple of months or so!

IMG_1785s.jpg

IMG_5421-2s.jpg

Topic line pretty much says it all. Time to take my 1/48 Kinetic kit to the paint shop, and the instructions are calling for 80% Dark Gray/20% Dark Green over RLM 80. It just doesn't look right to my eye compared to photos of the real thing. I'm not comfortable with the whole 80/20 thing and I'd much rather have the FS numbers to go by. Online searches have been no help. My paints of choice are MM and Floquil enamels, but if I could get the elusive FS numbers, I could certainly branch out. Anyone know?

Thanks and happy modeling!

Olivier Soulleys who makes stunning models for, among other, French modeling magazines has the following mixture:

For the green - GUNZE H330 DARK GREEN BS381C/641 (FS 24064)

For the blue-grey - 70% GUNZE H331, DARK SEAGRAY BS381C/638 (FS 36173) and 30% H56 Intermediate Blue (FS 26118/36118)

The FS are approx based on the Gunze paint numbers.

I´ve seen his models and am not going to argue with him over these colours :D

Edited by Dndieje