Just a little Sundowners tease...

Anyone know if the upcoming kit has the necessary parts to be upgraded to an N-model?

Yes, the long DECM antennae are on Sprue K (along with the short F-4J/S versions :woot.gif: )

From the pictures on the MMZ website, the trunnion covers for later USN F-4s also seem to be on Sprue G (I think they're part 27):

SprueG-K.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just saw that they where announced as "coming soon" on the Vagabond website... :)

hope they'll be ready somewhere in the next months... for the upcoming Phantom group build... :pray:

all this makes me ask, to Sundowners experts:

does the shown F-4B's where all having, slotted stabs?

thanks in advance for anyone that can come with the answer!

Believe me, we wish there was a recent injection molded B/N kit as well. But, until that happens, we actually would recommend the Hasegawa J kit with Royale Resin's B/N Conversion as an excellent way to get there.

Just found out we should use this URL instead; it's at royaleresin.net.

Edited by David N Lombard

Yea, the conversion set is pretty user friendly. All of the parts directly replace the kit parts, so there is no cutting/hacking to be done. I have one in progress myself, but I can't decide what markings to use.....

Cheers,

-Doug :)

Hey guys, quick update. This sheet's been snakebit, I swear. Jack spent a good deal of the fall and early winter in the hospital with some health issues, and when he got back into drawing, we found a LOT more reference materials for these jets, so he had to go back and redo some of the art. I know it's been a long time coming, but I think everyone will agree that it's been worth it when these hit the streets.

Hey guys, quick update. This sheet's been snakebit, I swear. Jack spent a good deal of the fall and early winter in the hospital with some health issues, and when he got back into drawing, we found a LOT more reference materials for these jets, so he had to go back and redo some of the art. I know it's been a long time coming, but I think everyone will agree that it's been worth it when these hit the streets.

Hi,

I've hesitated long to ask this, but since you guys still seem to be finalising the art...and you have some refs at hand...

I'd really love to have another option from the 1972 cruise other than the Mig killing "NL201" that probably nearly everybody will want to build.

How about "NL204" that is on the cover of the "Spirit in the skies" book releasing Mk-82's in a divebombing run?

Cheers,

Stefan.

Stefan,

No offense, but with the way this sheet's been going, I'm not changing options for anything at this point, lest even more delays happen. If you have more than just a book cover for references, I'll entertain drawing up some custom ALPS printed markings for you, but beyond that, I'm not willing to tempt fate at the moment...

Stefan,

No offense, but with the way this sheet's been going, I'm not changing options for anything at this point, lest even more delays happen. If you have more than just a book cover for references, I'll entertain drawing up some custom ALPS printed markings for you, but beyond that, I'm not willing to tempt fate at the moment...

Hi, Mike.

No problem, thanks for entertaining the ALPS idea.

I'll see if I can find any useful refs, reading the crew names would be the hardest part.

I have seen another picture of NL204 dropping Mk-82's, this time in level flight at high altitude. In the background was (at least) one from VF-51 and I think that is the only air-to-air picture I've seen of the supersonic canopener.

André,

Yes, I always found that boarding ladder a fascinating part of the picture. :)

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 months later...

Well, durn...

Guys, I got some art from Jack, finally, and it's unusable. Plus, he's back in the hospital and unable to draw. So here's what I've gone and done: I'm sending my references to another artist who's promised to move it to the front of the line and whose eye for detail is second to none. Sorry for the additional delays, but I think we're finally on the right track with this one.

We are patiently waiting with our cash.....

WHOOHOOO!! Gonna be.............

wait for it..........

legendary!!!

Seriously, thanks for the update. Cant wait to see the finished product. Good health prayers for Jack!

-Jim

• 8 months later...

In case Mike don't see this, I can tell you that I have talked to him about this sheet. I wont go into details but there has been some hick-ups, but they have been worked out and the sheet is still going to happen. I can tell you the artworks look great and everyone will be very happy with the finished product. Overall Mike wants this sheet to be the most accurate sheet that is on the market today. Thank you everyone for hanging in there, but it ill be worth the wait.

Thanks, Vince.

Yup, this is still in work. Right now, I'm going for the record of "longest gestation period for a decal sheet." It's been an interesting ride with this one, but I think there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel. (I just hope it's not an oncoming train!)

Because everyone's been so patient with me through all the issues both directly related to the sheet and just in general (my appendectomy, our loosing our baby boy last spring and the recent move to Texas), once I send the art to Cartograf, I will open up the sheet for ordering early. I don't generally like preorders, but once it's at the printers, it'll happen. I may come up with something special for the first hundred or so orders, as well...

every now and then, i take a look at your website to see if there is any update related to this very decal set...

i'm glad to see there is still hope to see that set become reality...

as soon as preorder opens, count me in!!

Dude, really sorry to hear about how real life has thrown you some wicked curve balls. Even though I'm a huge, huge Phantom Phantic, and a Sundowner aficionado, I can wait for the sheets just fine, as I'm sure other modelers can also.

Will keep am eye out so I can be one of the lucky 100.

Hope to meet up someday at either Scalefest or Supercon now that you are a DFW area resident.

• 3 months later...

Ok quick update:

There were a few hiccups in the process with VF-111 (story of this sheet, huh?), but I *think* I've got everything worked out, and we are plowing ahead with VF-111. I went out and found the best artist I could to redraw VF-111, and he's agreed to help me out. I think we'll ALL be happy with the results.

Now, a few of you noticed that I posted something about a special "Thank you" bonus for the first 100 guys who order this sheet when it's ready. I know from the PM's I've gotten that you're eager to know what your bonus is going to be. Wait no more:

flag_jet.png

This is just going to be the markings for the jet: tail flag, victory stripe, BuNos, MODEX, etc. Data markings and such will not be included, but I doubt that will be much of a problem for anyone with the Academy kit.

Thought you'd like to know... :D/>