M-24 Chaffee with Crew

Just finished this little gem from Bronco. This is built entirely OOB and complemented with DML's crew set which was included in the box.

This is a typical Bronco kit: insane attention to minute details and very sloppy instructions. Unlike their other AFV models, it only has around 700 bits on 10 sprues plus figure sprue and is built in just over 40 steps... Decals included provide five variants, all olive drab overall, stationed in North Western parts of Germany in the Spring of 1945. Additional decal sheet includes shoulder patches for crew uniforms: all belonging to 3rd armored division. All decals are in perfect register and are very thin, which is great since texture on the turret and uniforms are very crisp.

Kit's running gear can be built fully workable, but this is where its Achilles heel is- since plastic shocks and push roads are made to scale they are extremely fragile and require a close attention to be paid when painting and weathering lower hull and tracks. In fact this kit almost ended up in the trash bin last Sunday because while mating return rollers to the side hulls I accidentally ended up squirting too much of extra thin formula Zap CA,which ended up flowing through fender guide rails and onto top hull and turret; both of which were already painted and coated with oils and pigments! I ended up stripping the finish and decals and reworking it from scratch. My backup marking option was 'Dusty,' which gave me freedom to go nuts with dry pigments and flat sealer to replicate dried up dirt and road grime. I used Tamiya olive drab for base and painted details and interior using assorted Model Color acrylics.

Figures were a bit of disappointment compared to Bronco's genuine parts, too much flash and oil on the molds. I struggled for a while painting realistic face, but they ended up looking acceptable in the end.

Anyway, this is what I got after a month or so of work and near completely new paint job. Chaffee was rather compact tank for a crew of five, see it and the M1114 side by side.

DSCI1891.JPG

DSCI1892.JPG

DSCI1893.JPG

DSCI1894.JPG

DSCI1895.JPG

DSCI1896.JPG

DSCI1897.JPG

DSCI1898.JPG

Edited by K-5

....EXCELLENT....EXQUISITE.....EXTRAORDINARY...and EXCEPTIONAL ...[/b] :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

BRAVO.....AWESOME build.... :smiley-whacky084:

Thanks, for the replies, guys. I'm glad you liked it.

This build got me thinking we need to lobby Bronco to start working on air assets. With the CAD and CNC abilities they possess, they may put resin and PE manufacturers out of business.