Bending PE scissor links

Evening from a cool New Zealand afternoon

I'm currently working on the 1/72 Academy P-39 with lots of aftermarket items to make it look pretty, as below:

Eduard Zoom set

Three Guys Replicas decals (SCORE)

Quickboost exhausts

Resin prop & wheels

Brass .50 gun barrels

Here's the set I'm working with (http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Photo-etched-parts/Zoom-set/Aircraft/1-72/P-39-1-72.html) and it's parts 9 that I'm having trouble with as, as you can see from the pic, they aren't aligned directly so isn't a simple fold like # 10. They seem to have to fold over each other or something.

Is someone able to give me some advice as HOW these are supposed to be folded correctly because I can't get my head around it. Btw, just cut them apart and glued them into position but that's a post note. I'll still come across the same issue in future.

Regards

Bradley

Hi.

Some p/e scissor-links are like that, provoking the idea that they have to be folded in some way as well as bent to the required angle.

In fact, they are supposed to be offset at the hinge point (they should still align at the ends):

P-39 Main Landing Gear

Also, whilst many claim to be a superior 'scale thickness', they are actually too thin compared with well-made styrene items (as the photo indicates) -the choice is yours, of course.

Simply bend and install! :thumbsup:

Edited by ChippyWho

Hi.

Some p/e scissor-links are like that, provoking the idea that they have to be folded in some way as well as bent to the required angle.

In fact, they are supposed to be offset at the hinge point (they should still align at the ends):

P-39 Main Landing Gear

Also, whilst many claim to be a superior 'scale thickness', they are actually too thin compared with well-made styrene items (as the photo indicates) -the choice is yours, of course.

Simply bend and install! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply chippy. Yea I thought they should be still done that way but it's beyond my skill to get them looking right, considering it seems they need to be bent and twisted *shrugs* I snip them apart and glue them as separate pieces. That pic is helpful too. Cheers

Oh I LOVE those things.......They make a great sight flying towards the nearest wall. The trick I've found through much trial and breakage is a pair of flat-nosed pliers/tongs.

There's no folding line on the PE in the middle, perpendicular to the natural direction of the scissor link, so if you pinch the piece in the middle (with the flat nose of the pliers/tongs perpendicular to the direction of the scissor) and then bend the other half backwards the make the scissor form itself, you should have a fairly straight joint across the apex of the scissor (where the pin is on the real thing).

From there, just carefully bend the spread of the scissor into whatever angle you need! Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Don