pak 38 tow vehicle question...

I am working on a diorama centered around a pak 38 AT gun being towed. I wanted to do something a little different and was wondering if a kubelwagon was used or even able to tow a pak 38 with it's realitivly weak engine?

Edited by The Dude

It would probably smoke the clutch pretty fast. A Kubelwagen could probably move a PaK38 on level paved roads, but other than that, no way.

SdKfz10 or bigger. Even a Protze would be kind of small.

fixed I wrote PaK50 'cause I was thinking 50mm.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 3 weeks later...

It would probably smoke the clutch pretty fast. A Kubelwagen could probably move a PaK50 on level paved roads, but other than that, no way.

SdKfz10 or bigger. Even a Protze would be kind of small.

Concur. The SdKfz 10 was pretty standard, they even mounted some of the PaK 38 50mm guns on SdKfz as interim tank destroyers early on.

I think the largest guns the Protze ever towed was the Pak 36 37mm anti-tank and the 75 mm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18. It also towed the 20mm Flak 30/38 as well as being an ammo carrier.

Either a SdKfz 10, SdKfz 11, Opel 3 ton truck or in some cases SdKfz 251 were commonly used to tow PaK 38's.