1/48 Hasegawa A-7E Blue Diamond

While I was waiting for the seamless intakes for my SH I went ahead and started work on my third airplane model. This time the Hasegawa A-7D/E kit. Here is the box shot with the aftermarket goodies going in it.

box.jpg

I ordered the Aries resin cockpit, a seamless intake off of e-bay (the only source I could find one from) and found the Superscale sheet with the Blue Diamond markings I wanted at a local model contest. After painting the pit I was so impressed with the detail and so unimpressed with the detail of the kit electronic bays I ordered the Aries ebays also.

I started by performing major surgery to make room for the new intake and cockpit. Then primed the kit electronic bays and tail cone.

equipmentbayszinc.jpg

insidetail.jpg

After priming the tail cone I taped the two halves together to see how well the tailpipe would fit. I found it to be difficult to install so I took a razor saw and cut off the tail cone to install it later (this is after all how they take the engine out off the real bird...kind of). Then I glued the two cone halve together for reinstall later. I do need to do some work on the inside of the cone.

tailcone1.jpg

tailcone2.jpg

Dry fitting of the cockpit.

RAWCOCKPIT.jpg

RawCockpit2.jpg

The painted pit:

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

This is when I decided to order the new ebays which required more surgery. The correct size and shape of the LOX bottle alone was worth it.

newebaycutouts-1.jpg

Here's all the surgery.

openbays.jpg

Including the top where the wings go.

AfterSurgery.jpg

After surgery I fitted the new ebays in place

Newebaysfitted.jpg

Then primed the with my own blend for zinc chromate which I feel looks closer to what I remember than the MM enamel which is to green.

I also primed the bay doors. I am leaving the RAT closed. It was hardly ever open on the ground.

primedebays.jpg

Baydoors.jpg

Then it was time to paint the bays. I started with flat black then dry brushed to bring out the detail. I also painted the LOX bottle. It's a little darker green than I wanted but oh well. Maybe I'll fix it later.

paintedebays.jpg

After I got the bays looking decent it was time to close it up... but first some final tweeks to get the fit right. I removed a lot of resin from the intake, ebays and the pit plus plastic on the side of the kit to get things to fit right

slufside1.jpg

slufside2.jpg

slufwhole2.jpg

slufwhole1.jpg

The intake looks good. This was a hard shot to get. But with good photo editing software I was able to increase the contrast so the engine face could be seen.

insideintake.jpg

And here's the pit installed with the cowling just sitting in place.

slufpit1.jpg

slufnose.jpg

In my exuberance to get it closed up I was a little sloppy. Next to the intake on the bottom I didn't get the seam lined up very well so will have some work to do there.

slufseam.jpg

I am now up to date.

Nice work so far Alan! I've got the same kit waiting patiently. How was he fit of the Aires resin parts. Also, what brand is the intake and how was he fit?

Thanks Andrew. The Aries pit required a lot of resin to be removed which I had heard before. The right side electronic bay can be a little short but it didn't affect me since I'm leaving the RAT closed.

The intake came from Rhino Model Works. I found it on E-Bay. It too needed to have a lot of resin removed but it saved me from having to sand a seam inside the short kit intake. It also has a nice engine face tp look at down the duct.

Alan