I actually stated this kit last year, but had trouble with the Italian red paint I was using so I set it aside to concentrate on other builds. Not much was done really, the interior parts were painted but not detailed or decaled yet, seat was primed, roll cage built, chassis parts and window frames painted semi gloss black, some minor painting on the engine components, thats it.

The kit is a Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari F430 Challenge to which I am adding KA Decals and spares seat belt decals from a Tamiya Porsche GT1 kit (shh, dont tell). Its a curbside kit but a lot of the upper engine will be visible under the clear engine cover. The car will be the "Rosso Corsa" sponsored #3 F430 from the Ferrari Challenge. For those not familiar with the Ferrari Challenge, its a spec series run in conjuntion with FIA and SCCA events. The cars used are spec tuned, factory prepped "Competitione" variants of Ferrari's "entry level" V-8s. The series started in the early 90's using the 348Ts and 348Tb. They have also used the 355, 360 Modena and are currently runnign the 458 Italia. They strip down the road cars, add roll cages, racing seats and other safety equipment to meet F1A safety regs. The brakes are beefed up, suspension lowered, racing wheels/tires installed and the engines are tuned up identically and use some competion specific components.

Here is what this kit looked like on Wednesday when these pictures were taken...

003.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

I had issues with another kit I am building for an online contest so I stripped both of these down to the primer and shot a coat of Mr Surfacer on both at the same time.

002.jpg

006.jpg.

I gave up on the acrylic paints I was trying to use so I brought out the big gun... Zero Paints Ferrari F1 red.

009.jpg

Thats all for now, I have a busy few weeks ahead of me, but Ill post some more progress when I can.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Well Charlie at least you are getting some building done, I keep pulling the Porshe out and putting it away. I am hoping the big contest in 2 weekends time will spur me to get going. Are you going to have the Challenge done for then?

MAy not have this one done in time Paul, but the Testarossa should be done. Just painted the semi-gloss black bits tonight, gonna have to do a little touch up and clean up in a few spots, otherwise looks pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got back to buisiness on this build these past few weeks... Here's what's been done...

I painted and assembled the engine bay. this is a curbside kit so I didnt go crazy adding detail to the engine, as long as it looked the part, I was happy.

003-1.jpg

Next, I gloss-coated the body, and buffed it out a few times. I still have a bit to learn when it comes to getting those glass smooth car finishes. Gloss is Model Master gloss lacquer.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

The interior was next, again, I didnt go overboard with extra details. I simply painted as much as I could, picked out a few details on the dash and added some left over harness decals to the seat.

001-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

And then today, I decided it was time for some decals... This is one colorful car. Decals are from KA Models. The flag graphic on the roof was supplied as one decal, but I was afraid of trying to place it that way so I carefully cut it up in 3 colored sections. This was still slightly oversized so Ill have to touch up the satin black door trim after. the KA decals are quite nice and worked well with Microset and Microsol which I used as needed. Thats all for tonight.

005-1.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finito! Wrapped this buld up a little while. Gonna let the last few bits of glue cure a few days before I polish this one up some.

019.jpg

008-1.jpg

Thanks to the mods for hosting this GB, was a nice change from the wingy things.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/carsenault_photos/F430%20Challenge/

Edited by Charlie Cheetah