First Name: Dirk

Manufacture: Heller

Scale: 1/72

Model Type: P-39Q Airacobra

After Market Items: OOB

Box Art

IMG_1725.jpg

The Parts

There are 4 parts trees with this kit. 3 large trees as you can see here for the main parts and one small (not shown) for the canopy. I'n not sure of the year of this kit but the parts are unimpressive. Raised panel lines and some flash. At first glance there seems to be no injector marks that could be seen if left unattended to. I just realized this kit comes with both the 3 and 4 blade props. To be honest I know little of this aircraft so I'm not sure what the difference is. I'll have to do some digging to see which to use on this kit.

IMG_1726.jpg

Having built one of these (Airfix) last year I know absolutely nothing will be seen in the cockpit so this won't be an issue.

IMG_1727.jpg

The Decals

The decals seem fine

IMG_1728.jpg

The Directions

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and won't be back for a few days. So my goal is to get some work done today if possible. My goal will be to the aircraft pictured on the box top but Olive Drab over Neutral Gray. Also thinking I may put this one "In-Flight"

Thanks for looking

And we are underway

Interior green applied. It isn't worth detailing the interior because once the pilot is in place nothing will be seen. Lesson learned from the Airfix Airacobra I built last year.

IMG_1734.jpg

The sparse interior is assembled

IMG_1736.jpg

Cockpit in place

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Lower wing in place

IMG_1740.jpg

Upper wings installed

IMG_1742.jpg

Some filler was needed

IMG_1743.jpg

The Heller kit does not come with a pilot so I need to choose one from the pilots bin

IMG_1741.jpg

That's about all for now. Thanks for looking

Edited by Dirkpitt289
  • 2 weeks later...

after some time away due to a business trip and lots and lots of baseball games for my son I was able to get a few minutes at the bench.

I started to scratch out the radio for the rear shelf.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

The rear deck was painted and the rear canopy was masked and applied

IMG_1759.jpg

Next we'll turn our attention to the pilot

Next I turned to the landing gear. Because I am going to make this "In-Flight" I will need to close up the landing gear.

IMG_1762.jpg

The kit doors just don't cut it. Using a two part putty I filled the landing gear bays

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

Next I worked on the mount for the stand

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Inserted the Evergreen tube

IMG_1768.jpg

Time for some trimming and clean-up

IMG_1769.jpg

After about three days of trial and error I got the front canopy masked. :oops:

IMG_1794.jpg

If you remember from a few posts back this was the pilot I choose for this mission. Some modifications had to be made to make him fit

IMG_1757.jpg

The modifications included removing his legs from just above the knee down. I had to remove %60 of the pilots bottom and an aggressive vasectomy in order to get him to fit properly. Just goes to show being a pilot isn't for everyone. :ha:

IMG_1795.jpg

Once I made sure he fit I mounted the front canopy.

IMG_1797.jpg

Thanks for looking

I used black primer on the top of the P-39 to darken the canopy frames. I could have broke out the airbrush but I was to lazy. Once its all done no one will notice that the internal framework isn't interior green. Will they??? :roll: :oops:

IMG_1798.jpg

After the black dried I gave it an over all priming with white primer

Moving forward it was time to paint the white. I decided that the standard white would be to bright for a combat aircraft of the period so I decided to go with Model Masters Wimbledon White

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

After the white was dry it got masked off and the Neutral Gray was applied to the bottom

IMG_1818.jpg

Thanks for looking