2 Tornados down in Moray Firth

Sad news, it's bad whenever a plane crashes, my hopes and prayers are that the two missing crewmen are found safe and hopefully sound. When the downed aircraft is one of your favorites it hits a little harder.

So sad. Does anyone know which machines they were? The squadron is apparently 15®sq.

No offence, but having served 23 plus years in the airforce we never care what machine went down. All we care about is the crew. We could care less what bucket of bolts crashed. Crew's have families and loved ones, jets don't.

Sorry if I sound harsh.

No offence, but having served 23 plus years in the airforce we never care what machine went down. All we care about is the crew. We could care less what bucket of bolts crashed. Crew's have families and loved ones, jets don't.

Sorry if I sound harsh.

The Tornado is an older fighter plane. It matters that which machine crashed and why. A thorough investigation should follow so that it will not happen again.

Where I work, there is motto on the hallway wall saying, "BRING THE PILOT HOME". Talk to a polit and you will understand how the pilot cares for and depends on the jets he flies. No, it is more than just a bucket of bolts.

What did you do during your Air Force service?

The Tornado is an older fighter plane. It matters that which machine crashed and why. A thorough investigation should follow so that it will not happen again.

Where I work, there is motto on the hallway wall saying, "BRING THE PILOT HOME". Talk to a polit and you will understand how the pilot cares for and depends on the jets he flies. No, it is more than just a bucket of bolts.

What did you do during your Air Force service?

I was a maintainer and in my last eight year I facilitated in the Flight Safety Office working at preventing accidents. I am well versed on what occurs during investigations. I was in military aviation for 25 years. I worked fixed wing (fast and slow air) and rotary wing. I worked on six different airframe types and lost a lot of friends in accidents over the years.

Of course a complete investigation is required and of course we care about putting crews in safe aircraft. After an aircraft crashes we care about the crews, this morbid fascination people have over what tail number has nothing to do with what we do in the military when we investigate. Some people are sad to see their favourite aircraft crash. Aircraft can be replaced, people can't.

So what are your credentials?

Just wanted to say that the Tornado role demo team did a fine job at RIAT this weekend, despite their tragic loss.

I can probably speak for many of those who were there, that there were more than one thought about the tragic loss of the three crew members.

The team did a cut down routine with only one A/C on Saturday, but on the Sunday show they did a complete two ship display.

They even got to finish the whole event on Sunday with a last fly-over dedicated to their lost colleagues.

I wouldn't have held it against them if they had cancelled their act, but I am very happy that they didn't.

I hope you guys do not mind me sharing a few photos I took at RIAT, of the Tornado display.

_DSC6667.jpg

_DSC9501.jpg

_DSC9524.jpg

/E