Polish Birds, Polish Wife

Hey Fellas, My wife, who was born in Poland, asked me why I won't build a Polish airplane. I never really thought about it before, but now after she put the thought into my head, I think that I should. At least I might be able to get to display one out of the basement. So any ideas on a good kit? decals? I'd like to get some ideas and advice so I can plan ahead.

Dunno what kind of subject/era/scale you favour, but Kinetic's F-16D Advanced Viper (Block 52+) seems well regarded. It comes with markings for the White Eagle State and looks the very business.

For a more historical angle, the Mirage PZL family offers an unusual and attractive option.

How about another angle? Build a WWII RAF bird from a Polish squadron. 303 was the highest scoring squadron in the Battle of Britain. And there are plenty of Hurricanes in plenty of scales with plenty of decals to fit the bill.

I prefer 1/48th scale. I'd like to do a jet of some sort. The Mirage you mention seems interesting.

If you prefer a jet, then I think an F-16 would be a good choice. Techmod Decals does a sheet with commemorative markings for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The Polish Air Force did two F-16s with special markings on the tail, one with the 302 Squadron badge, the other with 303 Squadron. That way you'd cover both, something new with something historic.

Here is the link to the Techmod page, the decals should be available online from a number of shops:

Techmod 1/48 F-16CD, block 52

Also more interesting ( but I don't think there are decals yet), they just painted up two MiG-29s from 1 ELT, Polish Air Force. One has a portrait of Miroslaw Feric on the inside of the tail, the other has Z. Krasnobebski...both of them Polish heroes of the Battle of Britain:

mig29feric.jpg

I found the photo on the internet, but was not able to find who to credit. I am posting it here under fair use.

If you have any other questions give me a shout.

Cheers, Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

Eduard has reboxed the Academy (I think) Mig-29 UB with a special scheme that includes a large Kozciuzko Squadron (no. 303) badge on the spine of the aircraft.

1162%20MiG-29UB%20EDUARD.jpg

the Mirage he was referring to is not the French jet...

i would suggest you the LIM-2 (Polish licence build MiG-15bis) or, LIM-5 (LIM-6) (Polish licence build MiG-17's) not much colorful markings, but Aluminium Finish and some nice Camo's (on the plus side, they where build in Poland...)

the Su-22UM3 would be awesome, as Polish have many very colorful ones... but there is no kit available in 1/48 (unless your in for the Ciro conversion)

Edited by mingwin

I built an RAF Spitfire with Polish badge in honor of my Polish sister-in-law. Nice sentiment. Right now I'm working on a 1/48 Su-7 with Polish markings. It's a nice kit with a lot of aftermarket goodies! I actually saw several Su-7s on display in various areas when I visited Poland. I think it's a beautiful aircraft.

i would suggest you the LIM-2 (Polish licence build MiG-15bis) or, LIM-5 (LIM-6) (Polish licence build MiG-17's) not much colorful markings, but Aluminium Finish and some nice Camo's (on the plus side, they where build in Poland...)

Well, as far as the MiG-17F/Lim-5 is concerned, you have a nice HOBBYBOSS kit as well as this unique, colorful ( and wife-friendly :rolleyes: ) "Last Lim / Last Flight" scheme:

83b30b66cb1df538.jpg(Foto Wojtek Matusiak)

1/48 decals for this bird from HI-DECAL: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/Hi-Decal_Line/1.48/48001-48010/48005_MiG17F/HD48005.htm

HID48005.jpg

Both - kit and decals - are available in the US a.o. from Squadron

Actually, you can use the identical "PLAAF J-5" boxing proposed under 20,00 bucks.

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

Well I'm just building the Eduard MiG-21; the first issue (the one with the Egyptian bird on the front) does have a Polish option. And it's an excellent kit imo - the fit is up to Tamiya standards, there are enough weapons included to arm a small Warpac air force, and the ejection seat is a model kit in itself - 18 plastic parts plus etch! :jaw-dropping: The jet pipe/afterburner detail is similarly very well done - shame most of it will be hidden once the fuselage is closed.

Thoroughly recommended!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS - mine will be a Czech example.

Edited by MikeC

Try an airliner. LOT Polskie Linie Lotnicze for example. Or one of Poland's governmental aircraft like Tu-154 (Zvezda), Yak-40 (AZ Models) or Embraer E170 (Hasegawa).

These are a good idea too. I like the idea of a Tu-154 in Republic of Poland markings, and a LOT airliner would certainly be familiar to her.

the Mirage he was referring to is not the French jet...

the Su-22UM3 would be awesome, as Polish have many very colorful ones... but there is no kit available in 1/48 (unless your in for the Ciro conversion)

I know, It's a bi plane, which i find interesting. I'm still thinking, and I'm going to show her some pictures of the planes you guys have suggested and let her pick one.

Does your wife like WWII planes, Cold War planes, or modern warplanes?

Here's a LINK to some ideas in case you needed it.

Edited by Jack Bogart

you guys are the best, I have a lot to think about. So far I think I'm leaning toward toward the Mig 29 mentioned by Rkic. I'm gonna show it to my wife and see what she thinks.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Does your wife like WWII planes, Cold War planes, or modern warplanes?

Here's a LINK to some ideas in case you needed it.

Thanks for the link. It's very useful. As far what kind she prefers, she says it has to be pretty...I just showed her the mig 29 and the F-16. She was leaning toward the Mig, but we will see.