Royal International Air Tattoo - RAF Fairford

Just a few of the 500 photos I took today - the first (official) arrivals day.....

I got there just in time to see the US Marines V-22 Osprey arrive....

fairford 01.jpg

Italian AF 767 tanker

fairford 02.jpg

DC-3

fairford 03.jpg

The gorgeous Colombian AF C-130 had arrived on Tuesday.

fairford 04.jpg

MB-339 of the UAE 'Al Fursan' team.

fairford 05.jpg

US Navy E-6

fairford 06.jpg

The NATO E-3 Sentry made a lively arrival - probably a frustrated fast-jet jockey!!

fairford 07.jpg

Beautiful Jet Provost.....

fairford 08.jpg

Ken

A few more.....

T-50 of the ROKAF 'Black Eagles'....

fairford 09.jpg

E-3 Sentry finally landing....

fairford 10.jpg

Al Fursan & Black Eagles lineup...

fairford 11.jpg

Beechcraft T-6C

fairford 12.jpg

German AF C-160 Transall

fairford 13.jpg

Polish MiG-29's

fairford 14.jpg

Note the faces on the inside of the fins - a tribute to Polish WWII pilots....

fairford 15.jpg

fairford 16.jpg

UAE support Hercules arriving back...

fairford 17.jpg

That's it - I'm back again tomorrow - and the 4 days after that.

Here's hoping the weather stays kind (although the forecast says otherwise) :crying2:

Ken

Great shots Ken. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the weather will be kind and you'll see some superb displays.

:pray:

After the washout last year I'm not making the trip so I'll live it vicariously via threads like yours. :coolio:

Please keep us up to speed with what's happening if you can and enjoy your week.

Cheers.

:cheers:

Hi Ken,

Nice photos! :worship: Have fun and believe me, we do not envy you, not even a little bit. <_<

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. Seen any ejection seats? OK I don't mean in the aircraft. If there are any on display, please remember me. Will the US have the U-2 (or what ever it is called today) on show? If you see any of those spurs for the Lockheed C-2 (there are so many new names for it) ejection seat, please take a snap of it. ;)

Very sorry for the lost Tornado crews! Hope it will not affect the show.

Ken,

Those photos are JUST AWESOME... :wub:

I cant wait for you to post more of your wondrous shots as the RIAT gets closer....

Here is hoping that the days gets sunnier....I am sue it will so have a GREAT DAY...

The Colombian C-130 is GORGEOUS... AS is the Italian Tanker... :yahoo::yahoo:

Just a quick couple while I sort out my hundreds of photos from Thursday (nice and sunny) and the very few I took on Friday (drizzle all day long).....

I took this one sneaking in at low level on Wednesday........

fairford 18.jpg

.... on the Thursday evening 'flightline walk' it had been assembled......

fairford 19.jpg

I'm giving Saturday a miss (weather forecast dire) and going on Sunday (forecast a bit better!!)

Ken

WWWOOOOWWWWW The Spit still has the most elegant lines of any WW2 aircraft!!! Thanks for showing the photos!

Hope the weather is going to improve on the weekend.

Remember, about a decade ago at the RIAT. On Friday evening we just walked into the base to see what was happening, the weather was beautiful and sunny 20 something + degrees. There were still some arrivals and lots of static to take photos of, so I used to opportunity (once we were there) and took some photos. We were looking forward to a great weekend. Next morning (Saturday) it was a bit rainy and cooler but still we went out to the show only to find a cloud base of some 100-150 meters, very windy, with rain going parallel to the ground and around 5-7 degrees. It was so freezing cold that I could barely sign the registration form in mid July! The first thing was to buy a bomber jacket and a dry T shirt for immediate survival. The photos I took on Friday were the main part of my article.

Best regards

Gabor

Ken

Great photos..

Gabor, the weather where I am in UK is SUNNY and warm..Not sure about middle England where RIAT is but if Ken says it is going to be horrible then It is always the same at RIAT..

I wonder why they do not change the dates for this venue.

could it be the fact that those attending can only come in JULY? :coolio:

Edited by HOLMES

I am just watching the F-1 at Silverstone where it is poring down and the race is red flaged at the moment. Waiting for the weather to clear. While on the balcony, just measured it, it is 44 (not a mistake: FORTY FOUR) degrees in the shade! :wacko: I just hope that somehow I could export some of the sun and heat we have hear to good old England.

As to changing the venue date. I don't think so. It will not make any change in UK, the bad weather will follow any new date that you can through at it. :D :D Remember when Farnborought was in September and they changed it to July with no apparent result. You can get the same bad and cold weather no matter when.

Keep up the spirit Ken,

Best regards

Gabor

Last one from Thursday arrivals...

fairford%2054.jpg

These are from Friday - the weather was awful - drizzling all day long...

fairford%2055.jpg

fairford%2056.jpg

fairford%2057.jpg

fairford%2058.jpg

fairford%2059.jpg

fairford%2060.jpg

I took the day off today (Saturday) as the forecast was for downpours - but I'm going on Sunday..

Have fun!!!!

Ken

Beautiful shots there Ken, I actually rather like the drizzly ones, there's a certain atmosphere about them.

On the T-6C, I see it is emblazoned "EXPERIMENTAL" as per a home built or prototype, any reason for that?

Also, not loving that Tucano scheme, it looks a complete mess.

But again, amazing photo's, and thankyou very much for sharing them with us.

Matt

Ken,

WOW !!! WOW !!! Those are just ASTOUNDING photographs from you as always..

SOME real AWESOME , STUNNING shots and even those with the weatehr looking a tad menacing look quite IMPRESISVE and ethreal and

Atmospheric..GORGEOUS... :worship::worship::worship::worship:

I see one of that I am sure I saw at Waddington... the silver thingy with marking FMQK..I forget what that was..so you might have to tell ME what that was Ken.

HOLMES :wub: :wub:

Wow, great collection of shots, Ken ... I hope the Sun came out on the final days for you ... :thumbsup2:

<....>

I see one of that I am sure I saw at Waddington... the silver thingy with marking FMQK..I forget what that was..so you might have to tell ME what that was Ken.

HOLMES :wub: :wub:

I believe that's a Gloster Meteor, Holmes ...

-Gregg

Wow, great collection of shots, Ken ... I hope the Sun came out on the final days for you ... :thumbsup2:

I believe that's a Gloster Meteor, Holmes ...

-Gregg

Gregg

That IS IT..Thank you and it is the SAME one Woo hoo... :yahoo: