Question for this "captured aircraft gb"

Now that you have a forum to play in here is your first question.

I want to do something slightly more modern, a F-4N (of course). A USMC Phantom broke down on the deck of a British carrier. Could not fix it in time before the Brits put in to port of a nation that cared not for the US. So the British painted up parts of the airframe as one of their own. Semi captured!!!!!! :woot.gif:

It later was flown off and returned to the 'mericans.

Here is a photo.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/F-4B_VMFA-531_ArkRoyal1.jpg

Sorry for the late response. I know of this Phantom, as I've wanted to build it, myself. I would think of it as a "gray area", but I'll accept it as an interned aircraft. So, yes, phantom, build away!

If you really must build a Phantom why not a Khomeini one?

"Operation Night Harvest" was an attempt made by the US to evaluate the combat worthiness of US manufactured aircrafts flown by the IRIAF. Two F-4Es and a Tomcat were flown to Iraq by defectors. One of the F-4Es, 3-6552, was in such a poor condition that it was left in Iraq. The aiframe is still there, wrecked (possibly it was used as a decoy during the Gulf War?) and there are pictures around the 'Net:

800px-F-4E_IRIAF_wreck_at_Tallil_AB_Iraq_1991.JPEG

So are there actually kits with captured decals or do you have to go from reference pictures and try to make it close? I've got several profiles of captured B-17s but nowhere have I ever seen a kit that had decals other than US or RAF.

So are there actually kits with captured decals or do you have to go from reference pictures and try to make it close? I've got several profiles of captured B-17s but nowhere have I ever seen a kit that had decals other than US or RAF.

I think the majority are aftermarket, but I've seen kits with captured markings. Mostly French aircraft with German markings or captured aircraft used by the Finns. The Finns used a lot of captured Soviet aircraft, and aircraft captured by the Germans and passed on to Finland (mostly ex-French aircraft).

The current July SAMI has a Modellers Profile build article for the HobbyBoss 1/72 "easy kit" Me 163 indicating it has an options for "a captured machine in RAF markings."

I'm fairly certain I remember a Hasegawa kit of a captured Zero in USN markings. IIRC, the box had black and green colors with a B/W photo of the aircraft on the cover.

The current July SAMI has a Modellers Profile build article for the HobbyBoss 1/72 "easy kit" Me 163 indicating it has an options for "a captured machine in RAF markings."

I'm fairly certain I remember a Hasegawa kit of a captured Zero in USN markings. IIRC, the box had black and green colors with a B/W photo of the aircraft on the cover.

The current Airfix Club kit is a BF109E with British markings (as well as Japanese).

The HobbyBoss Easy Kit MS.406 in 1/72 only includes captured markings, one for an RAF example in Africa, the other for a Finnish example from German War Booty.

The 'Axis' HobbyCraft P-36 in 1/48 includes captured examples in Finnish and German markings as well as the obvious Vichy examples.

Hasegawa's kitted several captured aircraft in Finnish markings including the I-16 and P-40M

• 3 weeks later...