Photos on the rear end of P-42

Help is needed and very much appreciated.

Thinking of a project to convert a Trumpy J11 to a P-42, but i cant seem to find any photos showing the rear end of the bird. Specifically I am looking at how did Su make the cut to the tail cones and blending that into the fuselage. I looked and looked and couldnt find a photo showing just that.

I did the same thing many years ago - using the Airfix kit.

My conversion is here

I did find a couple of photos - in a Japanese KOKU-Fan IIRC, plus a pic of the P-42 climbing away showing the tail section - but I can't remember where it was....

I just removed the tailboom/spine to a point 37mm from the rear of the airbrake housing - and faired it all in to a flat section.....

flank_05.jpg

I also photographed the real thing at Zhukovsky in 2004 - but the little Russian conscript in a cape would not let me over the rope barrier to photograph the back end....despite all my pleading!! :deadhorse1:

Have fun with the J-11B conversion....

Ken

I also photographed the real thing at Zhukovsky in 2004 - but the little Russian conscript in a cape would not let me over the rope barrier to photograph the back end....despite all my pleading!! :deadhorse1:

Ken: Will you let me approach this precious relic so that I'll enlighten the world with knowledge for I am the Flanker Master ?

Conscript: No Sir. Please keep back Sir.

Ken: Ow sh*t

Edited by Laurent

I wouldn't mind - but he looked about 15 years old and in need of a good meal.

But he had been told not to let anyone step onto the grass - and he was guarding it with his life.

That's him - just behind the nose leg.....

day01_01.jpg

I was 57 at the time - but I reckon I could have taken him down....... :whistle: ....but I didn't want to cause a diplomatic incident.

This is a close as I could get........

day01_05.jpg

Eight years later - I just wish I had been more agressive.... a missed opportunity. :crying2:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Help is needed and very much appreciated.

Thinking of a project to convert a Trumpy J11 to a P-42, but i cant seem to find any photos showing the rear end of the bird. Specifically I am looking at how did Su make the cut to the tail cones and blending that into the fuselage. I looked and looked and couldnt find a photo showing just that.

Maybe you should just ask, not to search! :)

26cc9c2d87d8.jpg

c94cd0e7099a.jpg

22883d3e7ffe.jpg

Edited by bungynik

Awesome pics guys!

Is the P42 the production standard su-27 that was then stripped and prepped for the record attempts? in other words, would the rivets/ panels and fasteners shown be a great source for detailing an operational flanker if one so desired? (wings and fuselage)

Awesome pics guys!

Is the P42 the production standard su-27 that was then stripped and prepped for the record attempts? in other words, would the rivets/ panels and fasteners shown be a great source for detailing an operational flanker if one so desired? (wings and fuselage)

Yes. P-42 was an early production series aircraft (05001) which is specially prepared for breaking the records. On my photos you can see the blue paint on some places which looming beneath worn layers of aluminum paint...

Yes. P-42 was an early production series aircraft (05001) which is specially prepared for breaking the records. On my photos you can see the blue paint on some places which looming beneath worn layers of aluminum paint...

Did you take those photos 'bungynik' (Nikolai?)???

If so - how did you get access to the Sukhoi ramp ???

And... do you have any news about the planned museum at Zhukovsky - or plans to display the P-42 ??

Cheers

Ken