Just another EA-6B Prowler

Well all I got burnt out on the F-8E and the 53E so I decided to start on my Prowler. It has a lot of extras so I will let the pictures shed light on everything. I already have almost 40 hours into this thing and I'm not even close to finishing the pit. But thats the last of my worries. This is my first attempt at scribing panel lines so go easy. I'm still not sure what markings I will use but they will have to interact with an A-6E Intruder that will be flying next to this thing eventually.

Most of the work on this thing has been exterior so far. There is definitely going to be a huge amount of scratch building on this thing. I will have to order some supplies hopefully this Friday. For now I have enough to keep me busy. Does anyone know if VAQ-209 Starwarriors CAG bird was still painted like it is, back when A-6E's were still in service. I really would like to do those markings but like I said they need to interact with the A-6E. Anyway heres some pics of my progress so far. Hope you all like it. JOSH

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Impact decals have a couple cool sheets that have both EA-6 and A-6s. I'm about to pick up a sheet for the A-6 I have in my stash compliments of the Ghost Town GB!

The EA-6 I have the TwoBobs decals that were just profiled on the ARC main page and will do both the EA-6 and EA-18 whenever I can find a reasonably priced Hase EA-18.

Well I guess they only have one sheet with both A-6s and an EA-6.

but it's cool looking it's actually the one I'm probably going to order.

Doesn't help you on the A-6 but I could part with the EA-6 markings on the sheet if you wanted.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Looking good. I'll be watching this one as I have plans to do either a 1/48 or 1/72 Prowler. Maybe this build log will help me decide which scale to do. :popcorn:

Don't know if it helps for the A-6E but Impact Decals will soon be releasing a sheet for VMF(AW)-332 Moonlighters Intruders.

Denis

I have some VMAQ-2 decals for the low viz scheme. Not sure if I want to use them though. I was thinking more along the lines of CAG birds but I guess I will just have to do some searching. Thats one thing I haven't done yet. I was also thinking about doing both of them in maybe Desert Storm Camo. What do you guys think on that one. They will both be perched on a display coming in for a landing.

I'll dig into my archives but that VA-196 Main Battery CAG scheme was probably around the 1979-1981 timeframe. I have a photo of their KA-6D in the same markings sans colorful spades and the addition of the red tanker tail band on the fuselage.

Sometimes the kit instructions have the info buried in there somewhere. :lol:

Edit: Found this photo online. Note in the photos that the jet has no slime lights but the original small fuselage light (above the exhausts) and wing tip lights.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/221832.html

Edited by PlasticWeapons

You know Plastic, had it not been for your PM telling me about the decals I have being deformed I don't think I would have even noticed. Painting the tail might be a better Option like you suggested. 1981 seems about right for the time line now that I think about it. Now I have to find some Prowler decals that fall into the same time line and I'll be set. Thank you for the help.

Actually I figured that is why they were deformed but I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late. I plan on scribing the panel lines on the Intruder the same as what I am doing to the Prowler. So I really would have been up a creek had you not said something.

Well after talking to my father I have settled on the decals I will be using. Now I just have to order them and prepare for a huge amount of masking. I'm going with VAQ-133 for the Prowler and VA-65 for the Intruder. Both of which were used during Desert Storm in 1991 and in Afghanistan in 2007. I guess this build will be part WIF but it will look cool none the less.

Great job on the scribing! What method did you use? and how did you clean the lines so nicely? My first and so far only attempt at scribing turned out like @#!! I too will be following this build!

I use whats called a UMM SCR 01 scriber. I can't say enough about this little guy. Man it makes panel lines a breeze. Normally people use some sort of scriber and Dymo tape. Dymo is the stuff label makers use to emboss letters onto tape. They use the dymo as a straight edge so as to not go out of the panel line they are creating. With the UMM scriber I have done everything free hand not only because it raises my dexterity and coordination but when I used the Dymo I ended up making crooked lines instead of straight ones.

The UMM is about 13 US dollars and IMHO is worth more than what they ask for it. After only one model I feel very comfortable with this scriber. It really is very easy to use. I have also found with this scriber instead of having to scribe new lines next to raised lines, I can carve right over existing raised lines and minimize how much sanding is needed to correct the raised portion of the panel line. If you want to get into scribing I highly recommend this scriber. You can find it here

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=474&osCsid=0thhsufbs4n57ti9sjfi2ber14

Here is a picture of it.

IMG_0218.jpg

Hope this helps.

dshaling thats exactly what I am going for. Only Afterburner doesn't seem to have them in stock anymore. Both aircraft are going to get a desert cammo scheme. I just need to find the Jammin Jihad decals. Well I got the A-6E riveted and panel lines done. Just sanding them down now should be ready to go together by end of week I am thinking anyway. Heres a couple of shots with both aircraft together.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some what of an update. I finally got both sets of decals together finally and will begin working more on these two as time goes by. Still have three other's to finish. 1 of them being in a GB that has to be done by September. I have the pit installed in the Prowler. The paint is mostly finished except the bang seats and some final touch ups. The fuse is partly glued together as well on the Prowler.

I don't think I will use the Flap and Slat set for the Intruder. It has proven to be harder to find than any other model part I have tried to locate thus far. The wings on the Prowler are almost finished and await paint. I still need to do some scratch building on the speed brake flaps and the slat rails but for the most part they are done. I also have my paint colors chosen and hope I will match the decals accordingly.

I included one close up pic of the ECM instrument panel just to show the screens but the rest are further away because my camera picks up detail that the naked eye does not. Some of the pics look horrible because of it.

If anyone has reference pictures of the under side of the wings while the flaps are deployed I desperately need them. Either that or the area under the speed brakes where the flaps deploy from. There seem to be some details i will have to scratch build that I need pictures for. Anyway here is what I have so far hope you all like it. JOSH

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Love your progress so far. As an FYI, the glareshield in the front cockpit doesn't have any brown. I'd paint it dark gray w/ some black around the edges/wash and add some light gray highlights. It's just a nasty piece of black vinyl. It's usually worn through and is showing the threads... Otherwise, your cockpits look great--love the DDI's in the back seat.

-Peter

Ok guys heres what I need pictures of if anyone has any. I have searched high and low and have only found 1 picture of what I need and its not a very good one. Here is the picture I have, the area of concern is circled in red. I really need pictures from above and below this area of the aircraft. Please help! I have searched every walk around I can find in order to find pictures of this area and No Joy.

FLAPS2.jpg

And this is what I have built so far. I'm not sure how accurate I am building this at the moment because I cant find pictures of this area.

IMG_0336.jpg

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ok guys heres what I need pictures of if anyone has any. I have searched high and low and have only found 1 picture of what I need and its not a very good one. Here is the picture I have, the area of concern is circled in red. I really need pictures from above and below this area of the aircraft. Please help! I have searched every walk around I can find in order to find pictures of this area and No Joy.

FLAPS2.jpg

And this is what I have built so far. I'm not sure how accurate I am building this at the moment because I cant find pictures of this area.

IMG_0336.jpg

Thanks for your help everyone.

OK, I guess the best question, is what are you trying to replicate here?

Those are Flaperons. They're rarely up on deck. They kill the lift airborne (Think similar to ailerons). The only time they're open on deck is landing rollout on land, or during preflight checks, w/ the engines going and the crew in the plane (and then only for a few seconds at a pop.) They're not open w/o power either. Hope it helps

-Peter

This will be an in flight display as it is coming in for a landing with the Intruder following. I have several pictures showing Prowlers landing with these in the up position. Just none with very good detail. I am looking for pictures showing the detail on the flaperon connections to the wing and also the underside of the wing where the flaps connect as well.