Well it just occurred to me that all I've ever done are out of the box projects (or used aftermarket suppliments) without having to do much in the way of scratchbuilding and now I'm on a project where I'm pretty much going to have to scratchbuild regardless.

So I have to ask, what are the basics of scratchbuilding? What kind of material you use, etc.? And how do you shape new parts when you're not vac-forming?

And speaking of vac-forming, I've never done it but I'm technically familiar with the concept. I'm wondering if I should just do that.

Well it just occurred to me that all I've ever done are out of the box projects (or used aftermarket suppliments) without having to do much in the way of scratchbuilding and now I'm on a project where I'm pretty much going to have to scratchbuild regardless.

So I have to ask, what are the basics of scratchbuilding? What kind of material you use, etc.? And how do you shape new parts when you're not vac-forming?

And speaking of vac-forming, I've never done it but I'm technically familiar with the concept. I'm wondering if I should just do that.

Here is an excellent primer to the subject, Sir:

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/Book/harry/contents.htm

It focuses on the use of plastic sheet, in 1/48 scale, but much can be adapted to other scales.

Much does depend on the scale you build in, and of course, your subject.

I do quite a bit of scratch-building, always in 1/72, and usually of biplanes of the WWI period, or a little later.

What exactly is it you are setting out to build?

What exactly is it you are setting out to build?

I'm actually trying to scratch-out a bodykit for the Revell '79 Camaro 3-n-1 as well as hood and engine details. Theoretically a pretty simple project but I'm concerned about some complex curves.

I'm actually trying to scratch-out a bodykit for the Revell '79 Camaro 3-n-1 as well as hood and engine details. Theoretically a pretty simple project but I'm concerned about some complex curves.

That is a bit out of my field, Sir. I expect you are going to have to look into vacu-forming, and carve everything out in bass-wood.

I expect the engines are not that much different from aircraft engines where it comes to detailing. Lots of sizes of wire (look into beading wire at a craft store, and rip up lengths of electrical cord), and Plastruct or Evergreen rod and sheet in various sizes, are the basic materials. The saving grace of scratching detail is that, if you decide you don't like it, or you drop it, you can just chalk it up to experience and do it again.

Have you looked into the Automotive forums here?

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showforum=193

Someone there might be able to help you more.

Edited by Old Man

Yeah, but I figured this would be more appropriate, but I guess I could ask there too.

Armor people might be able to help, too. There just isn't much over-lap in shapes between automobiles and airplanes. And you have to have most of the thing hollow, for the passenger compartment and 'under the hood'; usually in an airplane it hardly matters what is under the surface for just about the whole thing.