Trumpeter has announced a 1/35 BMP-1, due out in the fall. I've waited ages for a good kit of this vehicle. Can't understand why no one ever stepped up to make one, it's only the most produced AFV in history.

Haven't built any armor in a few years, it will be nice to get a break from aircraft :)

Can't understand why no one ever stepped up to make one, it's only the most produced AFV in history.

I assume you mean "a more accurate one", because Esci and Dragon had passable 1/35 BMP-1 kits for more than 20 years now.

I assume you mean "a more accurate one", because Esci and Dragon had passable 1/35 BMP-1 kits for more than 20 years now.

I built those and they are horrible. Major errors on shape and smaller details. Pretty much unbuildable out of the box if you want an accurate BMP-1 but I suppose I stand corrected.

Hopefully no major issues w/ the new kit. Once in a while, Trumpy misses something big as well. Fingers crossed......

I built those and they are horrible. Major errors on shape and smaller details. Pretty much unbuildable out of the box if you want an accurate BMP-1 but I suppose I stand corrected.

I also built those and they looked OK to me. I welcome the news of a new, more accurate kit; but I also would be very interested in learning what made the Esci and Dragon kits so horrible. Anyway, my point is that someone DID step up and made a BMP-1 kit; and I personally don't think they were so terrible to be completely ignored and forgotten.

I also built those and they looked OK to me. I welcome the news of a new, more accurate kit; but I also would be very interested in learning what made the Esci and Dragon kits so horrible. Anyway, my point is that someone DID step up and made a BMP-1 kit; and I personally don't think they were so terrible to be completely ignored and forgotten.

I believe that (aside from very poor detail parts), the biggest problem was with the upper rear deck. The angle / position of the 4 troop hatches was completely wrong. Many other problems but that was the big one and the hardest for the average modeler to correct.

I built the Dragon kit, added the AEF resin interior and to be honest, I really liked it. However, it was lacking in many areas. I'm just really suprised it took this long. I really thought Tamiya would have put one out years ago.

Can't wait to see the spure shots of the Trumpy kit.

The real question is whether the announced Trumpeter BMP-1 is a new mold kit or a rebox of the older Trumpeter Chinese WZ501 Chinese APC copy.

The WZ501 kit is a poor copy of the old DML kit, but it has been motorized with screws holding the roadwheels on. There are no caps for over the screws either. The sprockets are also oversized blobs and the details are soft all over.

415919_100107200236_tru00322.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't built any Trumpeter tank kits in a while. Do they still have those horrible tracks that no glue will work on?

It depends, some of thier newer models have indi-link or link and length plastic tracks with sag already built in. Their newer kits are really nice and well detailed. That is why I hope it is a new-mold BMP-1.

It depends, some of thier newer models have indi-link or link and length plastic tracks with sag already built in. Their newer kits are really nice and well detailed. That is why I hope it is a new-mold BMP-1.

So many kits so little time...

Actually I'm skeptical Trumpeter will get this one right after they managed to screw up big time with the T-62, a vehicle that is every ditch in Asia and Africa as well as being on public display in China's state armory museum.

Edited by K-5

Really guy. Your continued bashing of Trumpeter and Hobby Boss is getting old. If you don't like them, don't build them. Coming on here and bashing them every chance you get is really quite childish. Every company has their dogs and stellar kits. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are no better or worse at it than any other model company. No model is perfect either, all have their flaws. Correcting those flaws (if one chooses to) is called modeling. Instead of bashing model companies, how about showing us some of your work or go build a model.

Really guy. Your continued bashing of Trumpeter and Hobby Boss is getting old. If you don't like them, don't build them. Coming on here and bashing them every chance you get is really quite childish. Every company has their dogs and stellar kits. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are no better or worse at it than any other model company. No model is perfect either, all have their flaws. Correcting those flaws (if one chooses to) is called modeling. Instead of bashing model companies, how about showing us some of your work or go build a model.

I'm on the fence regarding slagging Trumpeter. On one hand, they are offering kits of modern armor that no one else is so if they miss a few details, I think they should be given a bit of slack. However, with certain subjects that they should have unlimited access to, it's a bit hard to understand how they can miss some pretty significant items. In those cases, it does appear to be a case of lack of basic research. The issue w/ the T-62 probably should have been caught, or at least corrected in subsequent versions.

Regardless, I've always had a thing for the BMP-1 so even if Trumpy lets a few things get past them, I'll deal with it. Unless they total screw the thing up, it will still be light years ahead of the old Dragon kit.

John

I really won't slag any model company that isn't afraid to go out on a limb and do kits that others are not willing to do. So what if they are not perfect. They are close enough for me. I am fine with making some corrections to get them closer to perfect. I accepted long ago that no model is ever perfect. I just have fun trying to get them as close as possible.