SAAF Kittyhawk Mk.IA

A friend of mine built this aircraft many years ago (1972) from the Revell kit, and hand painted the nose art. Last year he decided he wanted to build it again, only better. So after accumulating decals, the kit, and some aftermarket, he was ready to start on it, only to be halted by medical difficulties. I told him it would be my pleasure and an honor to build it for him. So, here it is.

The aircraft depicted is a Kittyhawk Mk.IA, Piloted by Squadron C/O Major D.B Hauptfleish, 2Sqn, EV421, 1943. Usually mistakenly referred to as a P-40K, serial number research and P-40 expert Terry McGrady confirm this aircraft was in fact a Kittyhawk Mk.IA or US equivalent P-40E1. Also usually gotten wrong is the registration number, commonly said to be EW421, when it was actually EV421. These decals got it wrong too, but due to time constraints and considering most of the "W" is covered by the large DB (or H on the other side), I decided not to correct this issue.

Full build thread can be viewed here.

On to the pics:

RCOcx.jpg

daOFD.jpg

10Urs.jpg

FKGCa.jpg

ipT6f.jpg

0IdD1.jpg

0EriQ.jpg

pKSVx.jpg

gd3PK.jpg

umi6X.jpg

Edited by blunce

Stunning work, Brian. Love your work on the antennae. What did you use for the insulators? What technique do you use for anchoring your wires to the a/c? Great looking cockpit as well. Have this beauty in my stash as well. Your work has inspired me to start mine.

:thumbsup:

Geedub, Holmes, and Jamie, THANK YOU! 70.gif

Jamie, the insulators are just bits of wire insulation. I was lucky and had pure white, so cut off a few bits, installed them, then coated with my clear flat mixture and weathered as usual. The wire is one long piece, doubled over. So I just drilled a hole in the vert stab. mount, passed the wire through there, ran both lines through that insulator, then ran each end to the wing tips. At the wing tips, I had added that little triangular piece you see mounted on the top of the wing from card stock. I have a couple great reference photos that showed that's how they were on the real thing. I ran the wire in through the top of those triangle pieces and glued in place, then cutoff the extra from underneath. I'm not crazy about the gradual curve the wires take going into the wing part, but was hesitant to mess with it too much.

Geedub, Holmes, and Jamie, THANK YOU! 70.gif

Jamie, the insulators are just bits of wire insulation. I was lucky and had pure white, so cut off a few bits, installed them, then coated with my clear flat mixture and weathered as usual. The wire is one long piece, doubled over. So I just drilled a hole in the vert stab. mount, passed the wire through there, ran both lines through that insulator, then ran each end to the wing tips. At the wing tips, I had added that little triangular piece you see mounted on the top of the wing from card stock. I have a couple great reference photos that showed that's how they were on the real thing. I ran the wire in through the top of those triangle pieces and glued in place, then cutoff the extra from underneath. I'm not crazy about the gradual curve the wires take going into the wing part, but was hesitant to mess with it too much.

Hey Brian, thanks so much for the info. What a great technique you used, simple but very effective. I am going to save this thread for reference for when I do my P-40. Once again, fabulous work!

That is way nice, probably the best P-40 I've seen, in any scale, any finish. Simply superb. Hope you don't mind me asking, whose & what colours you used? On my monitor anyway, they look to have captured the Desert Air Force colours beautifully & your weathering is nigh on perfect (imho).

Steve.

That is way nice, probably the best P-40 I've seen, in any scale, any finish. Simply superb. Hope you don't mind me asking, whose & what colours you used? On my monitor anyway, they look to have captured the Desert Air Force colours beautifully & your weathering is nigh on perfect (imho).

Steve.

No not all. Here's what I used:

Floquil Middlestone 303153

ModelMaster Dark Earth 2054

ModelMaster RAF Azure Blue 2048 (mixed 2:1 blue to MM white)

These area all base colors, for weathering they were all lightened, darkened and dirtied up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, that is outstanding!

Absolutetly first class work there. :thumbsup:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thank you Jeff! Appreciate it!

Very nice!!

Rick

:salute:

Thats one FREAKING AWESOME P-40!!!!

Very nice work, coll faded camo needs a Sharkmouth though :P

Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel. Well they can't all have bite I guess. Though I'm sure a Springbok has been know to bite something at least?!

Edited by blunce

That's one stunning build, Brian! I've enjoyed following your progress on it along with the insights to help others with their own builds. I must say the end result, especially the weathering, came out superb. Definitely one of the finest P-40 models I've ever seen.

Regards,

Mark