RAF aircraft project

Hi, I'm James, just joined the forum today after lurking around for a bit. Always amazed by the quality of models being posted here, its definitely something to aspire to and an amazing resource of help and information.

I have a long-term project in mind to build and paint some of the 'icons' of modern, in-use, RAF aircraft - to begin with probably the Tornado GR1 and Typhoon, then if that goes well perhaps the Hawk and Puma.

I'd like all the models to be in the same scale, so my question is what scale would you choose - I'd like to build as large as possible with medium to good detail (I'm not a hugely experienced modeller), but at the moment I dont know the best kits or which aircraft are available in what scale.

Revell seem to have a fairly comprehensive range of kits in 1:48 and some 'special editions' in 1:32, but are they good kits with lots of detail? I noticed that there are lots of add-on, detail-up kits available too - is this a good way to add extra details to a fairly basic kit?

Everyone seems to have good things to say about the Italeri and Airfix 1:48 kits (except a few reviews I've read of the Italeri Tornado!), are they better than the Revell?

Sorry... so many questions!

Welcome to the posh neighbourhood, Sir. Sorry about the mess, we've got the builders in.

Surely 1/72 or 1/48 would get you an accurate RAF artefact? Indeed, I'd have thought the latter to be the preferred scale for least correcting...but got a feeling I'm about to learn!