Gorgeous Zvezda MiG-21bis build by François Binder

Hi.

Here's the link to the Master194 thread. Forget the French text, just look at the photos. Aftermarket used at this point: Part PE set.

Edited by Laurent

Looks ok, i guess.

:)

Will he make copies of the cockpit for sale?

PS: Arne, when will you post your 3 newest builds? Tu-22M3, Yak-3 and PAK-FA i mean. Have been wanting to see those for a while...

Edited by Berkut

Excellent work with very nice details in it!!! Nice and clear work on that resin casting the good old way. Look forward to the continuation of this work. Thanks Laurent for posting it.

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. A bit of an off topic: It is “good†to see my version of the KM-1M seat resurface again in resin form, I think it is on page 1 in this French thread, the one on the right. It seems that the Czech RV is using a pirated copy of my design in their MiG-23 sets.

Hi Gabor,

as far as I know, originally RV bought KM-1M from Pavla for their Mig-23 cockpit set...and honestly...it is piece of ****.

I wish you to have better KM-1M than Pavla's :-)

Very good KM-1 is produced by RES-IM...see http://res-im.webnode.cz/products/a7206/ ... recently, in Modelar magazine (Czech), there were some photos of RES-IM masters for Mig-23 sets (as part of RV flogger build article)

Edited by PetrB

Hi Gabor,

as far as I know, originally RV bought KM-1M from Pavla for their Mig-23 cockpit set...and honestly...it is piece of ****.

I wish you to have better KM-1M than Pavla's :-)

Very good KM-1 is produced by RES-IM...see http://res-im.webnode.cz/products/a7206/ ... recently, in Modelar magazine (Czech), there were some photos of RES-IM masters for Mig-23 sets (as part of RV flogger build article)

Hi PetrB,

The KM-1M seat I designed for PP Models in UK back in 1987 was intended for resin but was produced in white metal in the end. It had a set of photoetched details for it. A master for the 48th scale version was also made but never released (there were no kits to use it in). For reference on my masters an original KM-1M from a MiG-21 MF was used and later an original seat was added to my collection. It is used now as the source of information, data, measurements and shapes for a new set of seats in three scales.

The original PP ejection seat has been copied by several companies including Pavla with the addition of some curious looking parts. At the Moson show I have seen the RV set for the MiG-23 and it had the PP seat in it with some additions to replace the original photoetched parts that I designed for the original.

Yes I have seen the RES-IM seat and I have to say that it has little resemblance to the original ejection seat. Unfortunately none of the producers (including the Eduard Brassin seat) have been able to capture the fairly simple lines of the headbox not to speak of the other details. For our seat we had to simplify the back of the headbox for whitemetal casting technology as well as lots of other corrections which would have been no problem for resin casting.

KM-1M72nd.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I love build threads like that. With all due respect to the modeler, who's clearly a talented man, seeing these step-by-step photos helps the rest of us mortals understand how a complex superdetailed project can be broken down into manageable pieces.

Well done!

• 2 months later...

especially undersides.

I agree but...

Damn that stupid "Spanish school".

... if François wants to conform to the "Spanish school", he has the right to do so. It's a hobby, the modeller does what pleases him.

... if François wants to conform to the "Spanish school", he has the right to do so. It's a hobby, the modeller does what pleases him.

Absolutely, no doubt about it. However, this painting "trend/fad" (aka Spanish school) is ridiculously defeating the idea of scale modeling i.e. close

representation of reality. Just recently there was another example here, beautifully built Sukhoi (Su-24?), ultimately "beaten to death" by weathering.

There is another highly skilled French modeler who posts here, on Hyperscale and Czech modeling forum by "Anis" or "malina" who does the same thing, spotless

build, great painting and then just kills it all by totally overdone weathering. All his planes ultimately look as if they were pulled out of the lake

after 50+ years. It's just sad that accuracy is being sacrificed in favor of "eye candies" that look nothing like planes looked upon from distance.

Once people realize that techniques that work well with armor and figures cannot be indiscriminately applied to aircraft we shall be "back on track".

Nobody cares perhaps, I do but am not going to loose my sleep over it.

Happy modeling.

Mario

in NYC

I'm sorry Sakai, no offense but you never worked around real military A/C have you? I work on fighters for 31 years and I often said that If I did a model as dirty as the real ones get people would kick me out of the modelling room!! :woot.gif: And to quite honest no offense to my Russian maintenance brethren, Russian jets weather hard!

Like I said, no offense its just what I've seen. Everyone should model to there own taste!

I'm sorry Sakai, no offense but you never worked around real military A/C have you? I work on fighters for 31 years and I often said that If I did a model as dirty as the real ones get people would kick me out of the modelling room!! :woot.gif: And to quite honest no offense to my Russian maintenance brethren, Russian jets weather hard!

Like I said, no offense its just what I've seen. Everyone should model to there own taste!

Actually I was around military planes and helicopters, including Soviet ones, around GA planes, airliners and gliders. I never said aircraft don't get dirty. I'm saying that current weathering fad disregards the scale therefore produces overdone, unrealistic effects.

Mario

in NYC