Italeri 1/48 AH-1W Cobra

Greetings from Germany!

This is a very inspiring build, thank you for showing step-by-step how to enhance the basic kit from Italeri. The modernized Whiskey-Cobra with the "Lederhosen" exhaust - viewed from above, the turned exhausts look like a pair of bavarian leather shorts ;-) - is high on my wishlist so I will definitely follow this thread.

Three cheers for your Cobra project!

Ian

Hey-

Thanks to all who commented, I'm glad this thread is of use. I diverted into working on the gun, mostly because a Master brass M197 came in the mail and I could not resist putting it together. I added a few details to the gun mechanism, then assembled the gun barrels. It's a little fiddly to assembly, but it looks great built up. Beautifully shaped barrels. I also scratchbuilt a laser pointer from some bits of plastic and a strip of brass for the mount. I attached it to the gun mechanism, so it moves with the gun.

DSC07323.jpg

DSC07331_zps96b3fa38.jpg

Highly recommend the Master gun kit. Well worth the price.

And as you can see I started to work on the sight unit. I decided to start over with the windows since the NTS (and now the NTSU!) look different from the kit part.

Thanks for looking,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hey-

Made some progress lately, but I have been jumping around to different parts of the kit. Here where it is:

Fianlly added to cockpit and attached the upper fuselage. Ugly seam to fix, I had to use some Archers rivets to restore some lost ones and panel lines. Archers also sells decal fuel caps and access panels, so I used some to do the fuel ports on the starboard side. I really like the results. The lower pressure fuel port is part Archers decal and a plastic bit for the cap.

DSC07340.jpg

DSC07349.jpg

I need to button up the canopy at some point, so I finished some rails for the helmet sights out of a few straight pins and some bits of plastic. I have also started to mask the canopy so I can paint the inside black. That's a bit of a pain. I also found a 1/48 M4 (Black Dog) to put in the rear cockpit. Seems to fit fine where it's supposed to go. I'd like to put one in the front cockpit also, but in model scale, there doesn't seem to be enough room.

DSC07352.jpg

I have also started working on the wings. I removed the bombrack from the inner pylons and just attached the mounts. I'll scratchbuild a new bombrack later. Olimp includes the dual ALE-47 dispensers, but I built some mounts for them. They have photoetch faces which I'll attach after paint.

DSC07346.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

Phil

To get this set not too difficult...)

For example here:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/autora4807.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olimp-Resin-1-48-BELL-AH-1W-SUPER-COBRA-NTS-Iraqi-Whiskey-Conversion-Set-/150879361735? pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item23211c5ac7

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ORA4807

To Par429:

Phil, you have received weapons details?

I sent them to you more than month back.

Kind regards, Oleg.

Gorgeous work!, where did you obtain the Olimp conversion, I've checked out their website but there's nothing mentioned there.

• 1 year later...

Hey-

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have made some progress on it, but it's not finished yet due to some other projects I'm working on at the same time. I'll port some updated pics shortly.

Thanks,

Phil

I am starting the same kit and I am very interested in the details you've added in the cockpit especially the rails for the helmet! Do you have any detailed pictures of those (and the cockpit) as I am struggling to find some on internet ?

Cheers