Teaser trailer shown at Comic Con 2012 along with a poster.

0.jpg

godzilla-2014-poster1.jpg

British director Gareth Edwards was visibly moved by the audiences overwhelmingly positive reaction, looks like he's doing it right, proper Godzilla, rather than the emasculated Emmerich/Delvin back from 1998.

I can't wait!

Even though the BOC song is cool, that video is an embarrassment. I am a fan of the big lizard, but absolutely hate the the direction that many of the Godzilla movies took when TOHO steered the series towards children. The original Godzilla was a horror movie; the creature itself an abomination of nature caused by man's nuclear weapons testing. None of the subsequent movies have been able to capture the spirit of the original. Godzilla 1985, which was produced as if all of the kiddy sequels had never existed, came closest.

The remake that Mathew Broderick was in was a caricature. They used the Godzilla name to make a ton of money on a movie creature that was clearly Godzilla in name only (GINO).

What I hope is they make the new film serious, edgy, and really scary while remaining true to the original. Kind of like the most recent Batman remakes, or maybe Prometheus. What I want is not likely. There are few purests like me, and the studio suites will force compromises that will make the movie marketable to every 10 year old and their parents.

The remake that Mathew Broderick was in was a caricature. They used the Godzilla name to make a ton of money on a movie creature that was clearly Godzilla in name only (GINO)

Wait. That movie made a ton of money?

These directors need to stop watching AMC, FX, TBS amd TNT, watching old movies and saying "I can do it better". They need to start coming up with original ideas again. Seriously, we need a remake/retelling of godzilla like we need a new spiderman trilogy, oh wait.......

These directors need to stop watching AMC, FX, TBS amd TNT, watching old movies and saying "I can do it better". They need to start coming up with original ideas again. Seriously, we need a remake/retelling of godzilla like we need a new spiderman trilogy, oh wait.......

Well, I respectfully disagree. Maybe you are not a fan of the genre. I can assure that there are "Kaiju" fans around the world that are anxiously waiting for this film with the hope that finally, a quality remake will result.

An example of what can be done with the right approach is the recent Christian Bayle Batman movie remakes. Closer to home, the most recent King Kong remake a few years back was another example of what good direction combined with modern special effects can do. Would you say that either of these movies were not worth making?

140 mil budget

379 mil take at the box office...plus all of the merchandising stuff.

That disgust me. That movie was awful

I didnt like the recent Kong movie either. I understand redoing some movies that were made many many years ago but a lot of these never needed redone.

There was nothing wrong with the Tim Burton Michael Keaton Batmans. They just went kiddie after the 3rd installment.

What I hope is they make the new film serious, edgy, and really scary while remaining true to the original. Kind of like the most recent Batman remakes, or maybe Prometheus. What I want is not likely. There are few purests like me, and the studio suites will force compromises that will make the movie marketable to every 10 year old and their parents.

According to Gareth Edwards himself at the Comic Con panel after the trailer screening:

"”We're going to take it seriously. If this really happened, what would it really be like? There's nothing sci-fi about this movie, it's very grounded, realistic.” and that its the Godzilla movie he's "wanted to see all my life".

While I don't think the movie will follow the same intimate approach as his elegiac low-budget masterpiece "Monsters" (where the titular creatures are more a back story to the human drama), I get the feeling he's knows what buttons to push in order to make both a fan-boy pleaser and something with wider appeal, like Chris Nolan's "Batman" films.

I'm psyched because I think Edward's is making the movie I would make if given a mega budget!

As for it being a remake... Godzilla's been an ongoing franchise now for close to 60 years, the character has been revised and reinvented by Toho Studio's so many times, so he'll always be "remade" in one way or another. 2014 is the 60th anniversary, unlike Emmerich and Devlin who once claimed "from now on this ours is the Godzilla you'll think of", this movie may be kinda what Toho would have done anyway, albeit made by a 30 something Welsh bloke, in English.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

That disgust me. That movie was awful

I didnt like the recent Kong movie either. I understand redoing some movies that were made many many years ago but a lot of these never needed redone.

There was nothing wrong with the Tim Burton Michael Keaton Batmans. They just went kiddie after the 3rd installment.

lets not forget the added music atrocity added by Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page to just push it over the edge...

• 1 year later...

An sneak peak of the new 2014 Godzilla looking pretty hacked off at someone.

tumblr_mq2gehPxYs1qefn6co1_400.jpg

And a maquette at the San Diego Comic Con "Godzilla Experience" that may not be the final design, but indicates that Gareth Edwards is on the right track.

e73d5c82ee9211e2bd6322000a1fa42a_7.jpg

Legendary and Edwards seem to be paying due reverence to the original and embracing its origins rather than trying to reinvent the wheel like the 1998 movie. Talking of which:

tatopoulos-g98c.jpg

What were those guys smoking?

There's a panel at SDCC this weekend which hints there may be a new trailer and some footage. Release date is May 2014. Can't wait!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

I do enjoy the Burton films for what they were, but the Nolan/Bale movies were the tops for me. Whole different level of storytelling. I also think there's plenty of room for both director's interpretations of the character. There really is no such thing as one true cannon Batman.

On the other hand, those Shumacher/Clooney movies were vomit-inducing! :deadhorse1:

Well, if that model is close to accurate, they have hit a home run with the design. I like the fact that the size of the back fins in more in proportion to what they were in the beginning. When Toho rebooted Godzilla in 2000 in response to the 97 American made debacle, they oversized the fins, almost to the point of ridiculousness.

Edited by DutyCat