Too bad Joss Whedon isn't doing it. Then I'd be really excited.

Ben

Actually I'm glad he's not - I thought "The Avengers" suffered from a touch of the Michael Bay ho hum and rag doll CGI physics that felt little different to the Transformers films. "Monsters" on the other hand was a genuinely crafted film - especially given its micro budget - and displayed Edwards deft tough for characterisation and emotional clout without it veering into sentimentality. Obviously "Godzilla" is going to be more action oriented than "Monsters" but I have the feeling it'll be a sombre, melancholic, humane film (much like the original) rather than a cut and paste summer blockbuster. There will be action and set pieces I'm sure - the footage of the airport attack at Comic Con sounded insane but I think Edwards will serve something with just the right amount of seasoning rather than too much sugar and salt. Nuanced rather than overblown.

One thing is now for sure - its proper Toho Godzilla, not an irradiated iguana with a military phobia!

given how pacific rims doing at the box office , i think blockbuster fatigue is setting in for the big robot/monster destruction genre..interesting to see if it rebounds next year

Pacific Rim internationally is the number 1 box office movie right now, its US performance is slightly odd - perhaps because its an all-new movie with unfamiliar characters and not a recognisable franchise or sequel - but its nearly made its budget back in two weeks so its not like its another John Carter. And Godzilla is a recognisable franchise, 2014 will be the 60th anniversary so it'll get a publicity boost from that.

Actually I'm glad he's not - I thought "The Avengers" suffered from a touch of the Michael Bay ho hum...

tumblr_mlkx2f6H9Z1rijqhzo2_250_zps2276d1b6.gif

tumblr_inline_mpdnoqQwsE1qz4rgp.gif

...and rag doll CGI physics that felt little different to the Transformers films.

tumblr_inline_mgjfheR4l51qhayr7.gif

Edited by Tony Stark

An sneak peak of the new 2014 Godzilla looking pretty hacked off at someone.

tatopoulos-g98c.jpg

What were those guys smoking?

That's what happens when you overfeed your iguana steroids. They were warned. :whistle:

That's what happens when you overfeed your iguana steroids. They were warned. whistle.gif

Interesting that you say that, because I read they weren't. Supposedly, after the licensing agreement was made, Toho sent some correspondence to Tri-Star outlining what Godzilla was; some "do's and don'ts" for them to work with. According to what I read, this memo was never delivered, lost, or intentionally ignored. Again, according to the story, when Tri-Star revealed the design of the "new" Godzilla to Toho, they were horrified. They basically told Toho, "It is this or nothing," Toho reluctantly accepted the new design...for the time being.

When the '98 movie was so poorly received by the traditional fan base, Toho cranked up the old machinery to re-establish the iconic character with Godzilla 2000. However, Godzilla 2000 was not aggressively marketed in the U.S. as it was more a less a traditional Japanese rendition, complete with a cheesy alien subplot. It was a failure commercially in the US. However, it was successful enough to spawn several more Godzilla films...none of which were released in the US. They were mostly hit and miss affairs, typical of Godzilla movies, the last one being released in 2005.

Edited by DutyCat

Well, yes, Wolverine can be off-putting, crass, rude, and disgusting at times...

Jim-Carrey-Ace-Wolverine.png

...he still doesn't hold a candle to Justin Beiber.

In fact, we have word that the "Asgardian justice" Loki was subjected to after the Battle of New York was being forced to watch Justin Bieber videos on endless loop.

Loki-Facepalm-Gif-In-The-Avengers.gif

Director Fury would like to remind everyone that Asgard never signed the Geneva conventions.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more footage from location filming in Hawaii.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69406/good-morning-godzilla-more-chaos-hawaii

There's a nice bit from the camera monitor where the shot tilts up from the fleeing crowd to something that will obviously be added in post!

Have to say, the new look is awseome!

tumblr_mqcpnqrtcg1qcqjsdo1_400-1.gif

Edited by Jonathan Mock
  • 1 month later...

At least this one looks like the original....and that's good...I'll be waiting for the DVD, movie houses just have too much BS for me to pay for a seat then have to listen and see those who want to or try to entertain the audience along with the movie as it plays.