Great trailer!

But...

Did I see a mountain behind the busted-up Statue of Liberty?

It's actually the Statue of Liberty at the New York New York Hotel in Las Vegas. You can see part of the Big Apple coaster in the background.

Edited by nerdling
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm. A life-long friend whom I grew up with and we are still close friends over 50 years later were talking about this movie the other day. I told him I had heard of it and figured it was a sequel to that so-called Godzilla contraption a few years ago and shrugged it off. As kids in the '60s and '70s we saw our share of real Godzilla movies. However, thanks to this thread, I'm modestly excited about this one. Maybe a decent Summer for movies, this Godzilla and another Planet of the Apes. My buddy and I will have to re-live our childhood.....

I am not 100% happy with the design, but it is acceptable. I would prefer at least some recognizable maple leaf in the fins vice the spikey look, and I think the head/snout is too short and the neck too thick. But I will live with it as long as they take a serious approach to the movie and do a good job.

They better have his nuclear ray breath AND the back fins lighting up or else I will not be happy. I am always concerned that artistic license in remakes will result in a too radical departure from an iconic character.

I am not 100% happy with the design, but it is acceptable. I would prefer at least some recognizable maple leaf in the fins vice the spikey look, and I think the head/snout is too short and the neck too thick. But I will live with it as long as they take a serious approach to the movie and do a good job.

They better have his nuclear ray breath AND the back fins lighting up or else I will not be happy. I am always concerned that artistic license in remakes will result in a too radical departure from an iconic character.

Rest easy, the ray is in the movie and its the traditional blue colour. And the movie is, by all accounts, very serious - I get the feeling from those who saw a 20 minute preview in London the other week that the overriding sense of grimness and body count may push a the limits of what would be a 12A in the UK.

As for the design, the problem you have is that the actual Toho design over the years has changed between films and eras, everything from head size and shape to the look of the back plates. This one very much harks back to the 1954 original and the 1989 "biogoji" in terms of build and proportions. This montage provides a nice rouges gallery!

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/community/forums/topic/29520

And unlike the 1998 pregnant iguana wimp, this one is - accordin to Edwards - an unstoppable force of nature, the punishment mankind deserves. I think Honda, Tsbyraya and Tanaka would recognise their baby and approve.

I wonder if someone can help me with the name of a GZ movie.

I saw this movie when I was very young and only remember a few scenes from it. It was from the 70's GZ films and was dubbed.

I remember...

There were some aliens that made a tower/building in the shape and likeness of GZ. No one went near it thinking it was the real GZ. A good cover-up.

I remember the ending where GZ comes and destroys the GZ building/tower down. At the end of the movie, the aliens then turn into roaches!?? and scurry off into the woods.

That's all I remember. It was so long ago, I'm surprised I remember it at all.

From the brief description, does anyone know what the name of this GZ film was? I tried Google, but did not find anything match my description. This has been bugging me for a while now.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Spot on, Godzilla vs Gigan.

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla_Tower

Available on DVD from Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-Gigan-Hiroshi-Ishikawa/dp/B0002V7OEC

In other news, it's now official that Ken Watanbe's character will be Dr Serizawa, an update of the eye-patched boffin in the 1954 original played by Akihito Hirata.

http://i.imgur.com/7bzYVvU.jpg

Chuck in the cameo by Akira Takarada and references to 1954 and its this clear this film embracing Honda's original, not rejecting like the 1998 crapfest.

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer!

New posters!

godzilla-poster-taildestruction-larger.jpg

Godzilla_Spine_Poster.jpg

New toys!

73820ABF_Godzilla_PR_00-mtv.jpg

Bear in mind for the toys they've had to scale back the size and pointyness of the back plates for safety reasons. The feet are a bit of elephantine but I can live with that. Face looks mean and reports from the footage that was screed at SXSW last week say his more bad fool than ever.

I don't particularly like the new look, especially if that toy is accurate. The whole look is just stockier than it should be in my opinion. Again, just like in G98, it just does not look like Godzilla. I realize there was variation from film to film with Toho's, but the basic look stayed the same throughout, with the exception of the larger fins from 2000 on, which I sort chalked up to it being junior, even thought the scripts were never written that way.

Why people feel like they need to make wholesale changes to iconic looks is beyond me. It is almost as if the art production folks have to make sure that it is so different that it is clearly THEIR unique and identifiable design so that they will get professional recognition (credit) for it. Spikey fins again? No maple leaf?

Just give us our classic Godzilla more or less, and then just make the production top notch around it......just like they did with the newer Batman movies.

I guess this will grow on me in time, but you would think they would have learned from G98 about wholesale redesign.

Edited by DutyCat

I am not 100% happy with the design, but it is acceptable.....

I don't particularly like the new look...

Grumpy+old+man.jpg

We get it. You don't like it. What do you want, a cookie? Godzilla, like any other form of art and fictional writing is up for interpretation by the creator. Sometimes these changes don't work, other times they work brilliantly and attract audiences to a property that they normally wouldn't have been interested in.

doctor-who-at-50-590.jpg

sherlock%20holmes%20actors.jpg

Now, go and call the DHS and complain...

Just give us our classic Godzilla more or less, and then just make the production top notch around it......just like they did with the newer Batman movies.

batman1.jpg

1940s

DDF5912C-F108-4F50-B88576F26E4097FF.jpg

1960s

Adam2.jpg

2008/2012

batman-the-dark-knight-rises.jpg

gaming-batman-arkham-knight-2.jpg

arkham-Knight-.jpg

Hmm. That those 2014 ones look familiar. I'd better call my copyright lawyers.

Edited by Tony Stark

I am not 100% happy with the design, but it is acceptable. I would prefer at least some recognizable maple leaf in the fins vice the spikey look,

I can see what your getting at......the Canadian look......

Roooooaaarrrrr......eh...

Grumpy+old+man.jpg

We get it. You don't like it. What do you want, a cookie? Godzilla, like any other form of art and fictional writing is up for interpretation by the creator.

You better tell that to the Star Trek TOS crowd before nerds dressed up as red shirt Starfleet officers start beating up on cosplay Klingons and tearing down San Diego during the next Comic-con :thumbsup:/>

Edited by Johnopfor

You better tell that to the Star Trek TOS crowd before nerds dressed up as red shirt Starfleet officers start beating up on cosplay Klingons and tearing down San Diego during the next Comic-con :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>

I've never wanted to go to SDCC, but I'd go just to watch that.

anchorman-fihgt1_528_poster.jpg

Edited by Trigger