New trailer!

New posters!

godzilla-poster-taildestruction-larger.jpg

Godzilla_Spine_Poster.jpg

New toys!

73820ABF_Godzilla_PR_00-mtv.jpg

Bear in mind for the toys they've had to scale back the size and pointyness of the back plates for safety reasons. The feet are a bit of elephantine but I can live with that. Face looks mean and reports from the footage that was screed at SXSW last week say his more bad fool than ever.

Looks like Raymond Burr is in this design a bit :)

Just give us our classic Godzilla more or less, and then just make the production top notch around it......just like they did with the newer Batman movies.

You mean that Batman design and look that never changed over the years?

I don't see quite what they've changed this time round that is any different to how Toho messed around with the design over the years anyway - or to put it another way, there's over 20 distinct variations Toho did themselves, from the shape and size of the head, eyes, ears (or not), number of toes, size of back fins, colour, teeth etc... They have "given us our classic Godzilla more or less", the design very much echos the 1984 and 1989 suits in terms of proportions. The toys have had to have the back fins scaled down and softened for safety reasons, the ones in the film are larger and more jagged echoing the "maple leaf" look.

You point out something they changed and I can point to something similar that Toho did.

• 3 weeks later...

The publicity machine is in overdrive right now, so mucy happening hard to keep up but this new IMAX poster gives a nice idea of how the 2014 version looks - very true to the Toho original so no worries there!

_1398354726.jpg

Someone leaked the six minutes of footage shown at Wondercon last weekend (since taken down) and it's pretty intense and has more classic moments than the entire 1998 movie.

So, finally a closer look at the bird monster. Although the MUTO monster has what appears to be wings, the creature in this clip looks like something different. Maybe it is an evolved form. Supposedly there are two other monsters in this film...something new, and something from the past. The flying thing looks like an updated Rodan, but word on the interwebs is that the only monster that TOHO granted a license for was Godzilla. If that it true, this would have to be a new creature.

We shall see.

Edited by DutyCat

On the subject of the 2014 Godzilla shape. Does it reallly look so awful or so different from the many different japanese designs?

Here's a comparison image of the different Godzillas over time with relative sizes accounted for. Body shapewise the 2014 Godzilla seems inspired by those from the Heisei era without the cat-like face.

dtJPzra.jpg

And people complaining that 2014 looks fat and bulky?

KEXjq69.jpg

Look at those thunderthighs!

A couple of my friends who are really hardcore Godzilla fans haven't even complained but rather praised the design and are excited to watch the movie when it comes out.

And people complaining that 2014 looks fat and bulky?

That really was a non-story wasn't it, parroted by media outlets completely unfamiliar with not only the evolution of the Goji suit down the years, but also how it bulked up at times - look at the weight gain between the Showagoji and the Kingoji!

DutyCat, there are no Toho monsters in the film, Gareth Edwards has stated that in other interviews. I've seen six minutes of the airport sequence and the MUTO there does have wings so it appears to just be the one creature(s) albeit perhaps different stages.

One thing that is confirmed is that Godzilla does have the blue radioative breath and glowing spines! Alas, also confirmed is that Akira Takarada's cameo had to be trimmed. :-(

Check out this Fiat advert, it gives a nice look at the 2014 design - and the advert has more of the Toho spirit than the two hours of the 1998 horror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpzU2GSVC0#t=10

Edited by Jonathan Mock

DutyCat, there are no Toho monsters in the film, Gareth Edwards has stated that in other interviews. I've seen six minutes of the airport sequence and the MUTO there does have wings so it appears to just be the one creature(s) albeit perhaps different stages.

One thing that is confirmed is that Godzilla does have the blue radioative breath and glowing spines! Alas, also confirmed is that Akira Takarada's cameo had to be trimmed. :-(

Check out this Fiat advert, it gives a nice look at the 2014 design - and the advert has more of the Toho spirit than the two hours of the 1998 horror!

https://www.youtube....KpzU2GSVC0#t=10

Perhaps there are no other Toho monsters officially, but the Pternanodon looking thing is clearly an updated Rodan, despite what they end up calling it for legal purposes.

Regarding the look of Godzilla...I would have liked it to be a little closer to the original, with a little less truncated "stumpy" limbs. However, I am not really complaining.

Four days and a wake-up.

But also-about size. Those Arleigh Burke class destroyers are 509 feet long. How big would you guys estimate Godzilla is in the video sequence?

Edited by DutyCat

Perhaps there are no other Toho monsters officially, but the Pternanodon looking thing is clearly an updated Rodan, despite what they end up calling it for legal purposes.

There were no legal reasons - Toho are on board this movie and there were talks with them about using some of the other famous kaiju from the canon, but for this movie the producers wanted something original that fit the story rather than trying to create another origin for something like Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah etc... That's not to say the MUTOs don't reference past Toho kaiju, and the film apparently has quite a few easter eggs in there for fans.

Reviews are coming in now, mostly all positive, holding a 90% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

My tickets are book for Thursday!

I'm seeing it later on this evening (tomorrow for those in the states) at IMAX in exactly 7 hours :woot.gif:/> . I will try to log on and give my opinion of it (which I'm sure will be good)after I get home again.

Edited by CyNaKyL

Epic. Best way to describe Godzilla, especially if you see it at IMAX. Much more like the originals and it completely makes you forget about the 1998 travesty. There are a few small muckups but nothing that breaks the movie. The Muto's were interestingly done, reminded me of a few monsters from several other movies. Godzilla himself was awesome, especially what he does near the end. I won't spoil any of it but I would have to say I think it is the single best "monster" movie ever done. 10 out of 10 from me.

Edited by CyNaKyL

Saw it today and while not perfect, it's a movie made with more love and care than anything Roland Emmerich, Michael Bay, Zak Snyder or Gore Verbinki have done in their careers. There are a few stumbles, but there are also some glorious Easter eggs for Toho aficionados and the film steers clear of impossible camera moves and weightless CGI in favour of some often beautiful imagery and breathtaking action. If this were Christmas, the film teases at what presents you may be getting but doesn't let you see them until Dec 25th - the result is far more satisfying and emotionally rewarding that bludgeoning the audience into submission with one empty set piece after another (I'm looking at you 'Man of Steel'). It also highlights how 'Pacific Rim' gave the audience too much too early and then - the various plots threads here are tied together to bring the film to a satisfying climax. There are some great (often quick darkly comic) visual gags in the film, but no silly Matthew Broderick wisecracks or one liners.

Of the title character himself? He's the Toho bruiser of old, technology has imbued a greater scale and realism, but when he turns around and roars at an opponent, you could almost imagine Haruo Nakajima or Kenpachiro Satsuma doing the motion capture. The spirits of of Honda, Tsuburaya and Tanaka live on in this movie.

As I said, not perfec and it has it's faults - but the plusses more than make up for the occasional lapse. Given this is only Gareth Edwards' second film and his first Hollywood feature, he shows a deftness of touch and confidence in what he does, style of film making is very much against the current Hollywood vogue and all the better for it.

One last thing that did make me nearly spit out my popcorn, in one shot the camera pans around a characters bedroom and amongst the toys there's a made up Airfix Saturn V rocket - I did the decals for that kit and there, up on the big screen was something I'd done, a bit of me in the Godzilla movie!

The grin is still a mile wide!