Kinetic F-5 is available now

For a Netherlands Airforce NF-5A some parts are missing, for example the roller map display and the ECM fairings at the tail section but I am going to buy at least two of these because I like this type of aircraft. And I see them fly at Airforce base Twenthe.

I hope there is some one out there who can make a decent rocket-bomb dispender in resin, that could be nice.

Edited by BeeJee

Kinetic did miss one detail for a CF-5 and didn't want to make one more revision. CF-5s had a flat plate on the bottom of the aircraft between the two cans. This all can be easily added.

Actually it is more of a curved plate sitting on top and between the exhaust nozzle fairings. I believe it was installed to keep the drag chute from fouling on the exhaust nozzle fairings and to help with installing the chute. BTW it was not there on the CF-5A/D from day one. It was a modification incorporated some time in the late eighties if I remember correctly. This would mean it was absent for at least the first 3/4's of it's career in the CAF as it would have only been there from, lets say, 1989 - 1995. The modeller should check their references before adding this mod.

Also the Venezuelan CF-5's do not have this fairing as well.

Photos

Without Fairing:

With Fairing:

Cheers,

John

The real aircraft had the same stencils as the green machines. There should be a full set of stencils in grey to go with the grey markings. Some of the big ones you'd notice are the wing walkways, turbine stripes, outlines around the air louvers, etc. These were grey, not black and are not on the sheet in the colour needed to do a proper Ghost CF-5A. You could combine them but the ghost machine had only one colour for the stencils.

Yeah but combining them works.... You will have full stencils.

Aircraft is pretty simple... Ejection markings, fuel, Federal Identity, No step foot marks. No real panel markings.

There really weren't extensive markings in the old green scheme, so I'm really not sure what you are looking for.

Most markings I ever saw on pylons and tanks was in black.. The kit sheet covers it pretty good. Except pylons.

Belcher will give you a better FIP marking but stencils are pretty much all there on the kit sheet.

I guess you haven't seen the Ghost scheme with Black Markings. But To your point no there are no grey stripes for the turbine markings.... Not something that would stop me from building the Ghost Scheme. And this sheet does have the Louvre decals.... you can actually build the Canadian Warplane Heritage aircraft (ghost scheme) with total accuracy from what I have seen on the sheet. I believe this was not a paint job done by anyone but the Air force.

The initial progression from symmetrical era to FIP markings where all over the place.....with the very few at the end receiving total grey markings.

Looking through my references you can have the Ghost scheme with Black markings/Minimal markings/Colour (ie red turbine lines) and even no turbine markings including the stencils. Depending on it's progression through it's service life markings became very minimal.

You will see the same lack of or abundance of markings in the earlier Green wrap around scheme....

So yes you can build an accurate Ghost Scheme aircraft from just the kit decals.... the Belcher decals would give you more accurate Identity markings.

I have never seen a CF-116 or a CF-116D with wing walkway markings (lines) in the Ghost scheme (doesn't mean there wasn't one). I have seen the step and no step markings which are included. By the time the markings were standardized the aircraft met it's early demise in Canadian Service.

So your argument still doesn't hold in my opinion. You can build an accurate CF-116 in Ghost Scheme.

From IPMS Deutchland, here is some quite interesting pictures of each sprues sets of pieces

and decal sheet for this 1/48 Kinetic F-5A.

As you can see on picture No.4 the two upper back fuselage "chaff/flare" fairings

added later on each side of the fin for the Netherland KLU NF-5A are included as

option pieces.

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Kinetic/F-5A_Freedom_Fighter/Kin_F-5A.html

There is also Wolfpack resin manufacturer already announcing a detailed cockpit set

coded WP48170, release date TBA.

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/

Netherland KLU NF-5A/B references can be found here :

http://www.nf5.nl/nf5ademo.html

I am quite sure, this new offer from Kinetic will be a very big hit on the hobby market !

SharkOwl

Rimouski, Quebec

Canada

There may be another 'pit set and possibly other goodies as well. As soon as I have the kit in my hands, I will be able to see what I can do. It is on it's way right now.

If anything looks doable, I will post it here.

Cheers,

Harold

Kinetic did miss one detail for a CF-5 and didn't want to make one more revision. CF-5s had a flat plate on the bottom of the aircraft between the two cans. This all can be easily added.

Gary,

Here is a picture of the mod. This is ex AETE 116707. It is from a series of photos I took of it in May 2006 as it lay disassembled on the ground at The Calgary Aerospace Museum awaiting transport to its current location at The Military Museums where it was mounted on a pedestal.

It consists of 3 pieces: an angled metal strip riveted to each burner can and the center rectangular piece screwed to them.

1.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom

Gary,

Here is a picture of the mod. This is ex AETE 116707. It is from a series of photos I took of it in May 2006 as it lay disassembled on the ground at The Calgary Aerospace Museum awaiting transport to its current location at The Military Museums where it was mounted on a pedestal.

It consists of 3 pieces: an angled metal strip riveted to each burner can and the center rectangular piece screwed to them.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I know where the plate was, I didn't get back to this thread until now. I should have said at the bottom of the fin, between the cans. It was a typo on my part. I knew what I was saying but the words didn't know what I was saying.

I wouldn't have mentioned the plate unless I knew what I was talking about.

Cheers,

Gary

Question for those "in-the-know". Does this kit include the correct CF-5A/NF-5A nose landing gear?

Cheers,

John

Take another look here: http://www.luckymode...em_no=KI-K48020 and scroll down to the bottom line of 4 sprue shots. Furtherest sprue shot to the right contains the landing gear. The main part of the nose gear is located at the bottom of the sprue - to the left of centre and it appears to be the CF-5A/NF-5A nose gear with the torque link to the rear. The aux. support for the nose gear appears to be a separate piece.

Scott

Take another look here: http://www.luckymode...em_no=KI-K48020 and scroll down to the bottom line of 4 sprue shots. Furtherest sprue shot to the right contains the landing gear. The main part of the nose gear is located at the bottom of the sprue - to the left of centre and it appears to be the CF-5A/NF-5A nose gear with the torque link to the rear. The aux. support for the nose gear appears to be a separate piece.

Scott

And take a look to at these quite large shots of the different sprues from IPMS Deutchland :

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Kinetic/F-5A_Freedom_Fighter/Kin_F-5A.html

:salute:

SharkOwl

Has anyone else noticed that the instrument panel in the Kinetic kit looks nothing like a standard F-5A IP? The part in the kit has a thoroughly modern-looking comms frequency selector panel at the top; similar to those that would typically be attached to modern HUDs in current fighters. My guess is that the instrument panel depicts a modernized CF-5 IP.

Modernized CF-5 IP

Standard F-5 IP

Has anyone else noticed that the instrument panel in the Kinetic kit looks nothing like a standard F-5A IP? The part in the kit has a thoroughly modern-looking comms frequency selector panel at the top; similar to those that would typically be attached to modern HUDs in current fighters. My guess is that the instrument panel depicts a modernized CF-5 IP.

Modernized CF-5 IP

Standard F-5 IP

well its accurate for the Botswana AF then, most of them ended up going straight from the company doing the modernization to Africa

Edited by dylan

Modernized CF-5 IP

Standard F-5 IP

The photo of the "standard f-5 IP" posted is actually the front seat of a pre-mod older dual (CF-5D). The gun sight is the non-gyro-stabilized version that gives a simple dot for aiming. In the single-seater, the gun sight is a little more massive, with a blocky black control box underneath it. When I did my course in Cold Lake in 1985, bombing was less accurate in the dual due to the huge effect just a bit of wing drop had on the aiming point in the non-stabilized dual. Imagine a dot painted low down on a vertical piece of glass, and pivoting the glass to the side. The dot moves sideways and up, giving a false aiming point. In the single-seater, banking had no effect on the true aim point, since the gyro system adjusted for bank angle. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the original single-seater gyro-stabilised sight.

I'll have to have a look at the IP on the Kinetic kits I just got in the mail for my birthday, and see what it looks like to me.

ALF

"Can't be used"??? Believe it or not, it was actually possible to build an accurate cockpit before there was such a thing as "resin" and "photoetch". Back in the olden days (when we modeled by the light of a whale oil lamp out in the outhouse), we used bits of styrene glued to other bits of styrene to create such unimaginable things... :)

"Can't be used"??? Believe it or not, it was actually possible to build an accurate cockpit before there was such a thing as "resin" and "photoetch". Back in the olden days (when we modeled by the light of a whale oil lamp out in the outhouse), we used bits of styrene glued to other bits of styrene to create such unimaginable things... :)

Jennings there you go, going all "neanderthal modeler" on them. Surely this soliloquy will be lost on the spoiled modelers of today, in other words those that didn't cut their teeth on Aurora, IMC or MPC/Airfix kits et al, from the 60's & 70's like we did! :rolleyes:

[quote name='madmanrick'

Jennings there you go, going all "neanderthal modeler" on them. Surely this soliloquy will be lost on the spoiled modelers of today, in other words those that didn't cut their teeth on Aurora, IMC or MPC/Airfix kits et al, from the 60's & 70's like we did!

-------------------------

Ha ha ha so funny! What was wrong with “resin†and “photo etch� Are you allergic with that? :rofl: :rofl:

LOL modeling was changing so much from that old days your leaved :taunt:

An “old dog modeler†was friend of mine over here, he put a hybrid engine conversion on his 52 Chevy truck and run like a champ, I bet (any) of your can do that...for sure! :touche:

Happy modeling!! :cheers:

Edited by let_models

Well I got another snag on the kit.... wing tip Tanks are both for one side. Wing profile is in the tank, fits like a glove on one side.... not the same on the other. so you will likely have one tank in the correct nose down profile and the other not the same.

• 4 weeks later...